Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucky Subway Worker? Sandwich cut compliance code?!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Good Eats. I watch anything with Alton Brown.

But I'm not familiar with the V-cut. Anyone got a picture?
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

One sec

http://spine.cx/article.php?sid=670

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post

I have to disagree that the employee was being sucky, though.
        I know it's not like brain surgery to make a V-cut in a sub bun and put in the ingredients, but if they are trained to do it a certain way, then they have to follow that.

I agree... to a point.

Not to use a line we all loathe, but going the extra mile would be a bit appreciated.

I'm not asking for them to hand me the keys to the store(although if given the chance, I could do a V cut in my sleep), but I would at least appreciate the attempt of a V-cut being made by an employee. Doesn't have to be perfect, even a lopsided V cut would cradle those meatballs superior to a hotdog bun cut.

And to hear that employees would be PUNISHED for making one whole extra cut on the bread to fulfill a customer's request? That's an insane thing for Corporate subway to do.

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
          I'm surprised anyone would even know how to cut the bread the old way. Since it has been a couple years, I can't imagine there are many employees from that long ago still working at Subway (at least I hope so). And I can't imagine they train the new people to do something that is not "spec".
          Well, it really doesn't matter much, but the most I appreciate is the effort, the attempt, and usually even a sloppy v cut works good enough. I mean, it doesn't have to be perfectly measured, it all looks the same in the end (heh)

Comment

Jimmy John's
            Quiznos
            Subway
            I like all three places in that order. All have their good points and bad (tho I can't think of one for Jimmy John's other than not being able to get a hot sub) I don't eat out often, and all 3 places are relatively the same as far as cost goes. I will eat Jimmy Johns more often though cuz they deliver! The only sub I like at quiznos is their turkey ranch sub, but it is still worth going if I choose stop there. Subway is a good throwback as a last option if I don't want a burger late at night. The other two restaurants aren't open until midnight like Subway is (at least here). Plus their turkey sub toasted is pretty decent.
            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Ah, yes. I think I've seen that on the Cosby Show (the episode where Cliff is on "vacation") where he loads his sub up with potato chips.
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to do a little experiment today when I went into Subway for lunch. Since I was getting a meatball sub (one of my favorites), I decided to ask for the v-cut instead of the slice down the side. Luckily, the manager that had been there forever was working instead of one of the young kids, so I knew she'd know what I was asking for. So I asked, and she actually looked at me like I was crazy and said that she couldn't cut it like that. I asked why and she said they could only cut them by slicing them down the side. Needless to say, I lost about half the meatballs on my sandwich cuz they squirted out the side when I tried eating it.

Comment

Quoth hawkchick11 View Post
                  I lost about half the meatballs on my sandwich cuz they squirted out the side when I tried eating it.
                  I just went and asked my husband what he does with his meatball subs, since I never really noticed how he eats it. He asks them to not cut the bread all the way through on one side, so it literally has a 'hinge', and when he eats it, he just turns the 'hinge' to the bottom, and that helps to eat without losing meatballs.
                  Last edited by Ree; 07-12-2007, 06:49 AM.
                  "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

I never thought I'd say this but...whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

Please don't hurt me.

If a customer wants his/her sub cut a certain way to prevent the meatballs from falling out, then that's the way is should be cut.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

They also got rid of my favorite seafood sub *cry* At least they brought back the classic steak....
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        They also got rid of my favorite seafood sub *cry* At least they brought back the classic steak....
                        Oh tollbaby, I'm sure you do miss it , but please also consider yourself in some small way thankful that it's gone. My friends used to work at Subway and the one thing that made them cringe was when people would order the seafood sub. It was made with a 2/3 ratio of "mayo" to 1/3 "seafood product". And since it was not a popular item, it tended to...um...linger a bit before it was replaced.

I know we all put questionable things in our bodies from time to time (I, on occasion, eat the most poisonous food known to humankind....doughnuts. Yes, an unholy trifecta of sugar, starch and fat. Deep fried! All evil, all the time. I think an angel somewhere loses its wings every time I put one in my mouth. ). But my point is, if you are going to crave something, crave the real thing. In my mind right now I am cracking open a fresh King crab for you, making fresh garlic mayo with a touch of paprika and mixing it with some garden herbs and veggies, and putting it on fresh bread right out of the over. Or, if you prefer, the crab will go on several small wraps with hoisin and green onion: fresh crab a la Peking! Please enjoy this psychic sandwich made especially for you with a yummy glass of riesling (or whatever tasty beverage you prefer)!

As an aside, regarding the OP: whenever corporate starts putting policy compliance above customers the business has gone deeply and fundamentally astray. How do businesses make money again? Oh yeah, by making customers happy so that they continue to give them money! And giving customers a sloppy sandwich (contrary to all common sense) is a stupid, self-defeating thing to do.

(Anyone interested in staging a protest at Subway headquarters? We could go into their lobby or waiting area and all eat badly cut meatball subs over their lush pristine carpets! Lunch, WITH A MESSAGE. Word.)
                        Last edited by Max; 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM. Reason: ugh...cue the grammar nazi
                        But I don't need a vagina. I have a pony.
                        -Gravekeeper

Comment

Personally I don't care for Quiznos' . . .I tried it 4 different times . . .never was more order right . . .and the last time I am not sure but I was sick the next day . . .not saying it was the food, but not worth the risk.
                          Then they came out with those need to have chemical enhancement to enjoy the commercials (I never understood them and rodent and food - hmm not a good combo)
                          We do have a place here also called PotBelly's - they also toast their Sandwich . . .will put mushrooms on before toasting . . .and at this point I walk in and they know my order.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            There's one Subway in my city that still has this. Only one. No idea how or why they still have it when everyone else got rid of the seafood. Kinda scary to contemplate really...

I have to admit I really liked them also, even though they don't seem particularly safe since as a previous poster said, the seafood does tend to sit out for awhile.

Comment

Quoth Dawnchaser View Post
                              There's one Subway in my city that still has this. Only one. No idea how or why they still have it when everyone else got rid of the seafood. Kinda scary to contemplate really...
                              Maybe it was left over

Subway here has just introduced the lobster sub Gotta try it!

Quiznos... *shudder* tried it a few times, didn't like it. If I can't get my sub made the way I want, I walk out. Why frequent a place that won't make my food the way I want it?

As for the meatball subs, I'm not crazy about them, so I don't order them often, but here's how I eat them when I do get them (and I've never lost a single meatball)... hold the cut side to the top, same as I do with all the other subs. Whassamatta with you guys, you never learned to eat or what? (tongue in cheek)
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Bah! These food threads make me hungry. (And I forgot to bring a lunch to work today)

Regardless, Probably some of the best Subs around here come from the remodeled Safeway delis. The ingredients that they use are typically a bit higher end; very tasty. The only problem is that they have a price to match.
                                "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
                                -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

Working...
                                X