Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucky Subway Worker? Sandwich cut compliance code?!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to manage a Subway in the local gas station chain. Our inspector didn't like me very much.

We'd get high marks on everything but our ... tuna fish. Seriously. I had everyone making it "too dry". She showed me how to make it one time, and I swear, it was so soupy you could drink it.

I told her, flat out, there was no way in hell I was making it that way. We did it once, because she told us we had to on our first inspection (a few days after I got the job). NO ONE wanted it. And this was Lent, when a large part of our Catholic neighborhood gives up meat. So I went back to making it the way the customers wanted it. If they wanted more mayo, they could ask for it. And a few would ask for a touch more, but never as bad as she wanted us to keep it.

Yeah, she didn't like me. I also got snarky when she told me that a foot long sub was only allowed 6 black olives, spaced evenly, unless the customer asked for more

Don't recall ever getting negative feedback from Subway corporate, though.
    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I could understand an employee not knowing how to cut the u-gouge, but to tell you they can't is ridiculous. Sure, the cut changed quite a few years ago, but I still get quite a few customers that ask for it to be cut that way. Usually I just tease them about not wanting to change, but then I do cut it old-style. It doesn't take any more effort to cut it one way or the other.

As far as the seafood sandwich goes, we still have it at my store. It is a very popular sandwich and gets made at least 4 times a day. It's a lb of seafood to 6 ounces of mayonnaise.

I may be biased, but I think Subway is great. Apparently we are doing something right, because there are more Subways in the United States then McDonalds.
      Last edited by SubwayGirl; 08-22-2007, 12:09 AM. Reason: punctuation error

Comment

For the coldcuts, I'm okay with the new cut.

But for meatballs? Meatballs are ROUND, and THICK... they need to be held in some sort of canyon.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          They also got rid of my favorite seafood sub *cry* At least they brought back the classic steak....
          I knew I liked you for some reason. Seeing as I haven't really put my finger on why and dug in yet, I'll go with you seem to like generally the same food I do.
          I was on my lunch break at West County, walked up to the Subway there, and did my order.
          "Monterrey Cheddar Seafood, 6 inch, Swiss, please," unsuspecting as I was.
          The lady behind the counter almost visibly winces. "Oooh, we stopped carrying seafood about a week ago."
          My world fell apart, and I stammered out, "Why?"
          "Not enough buyers."
          "I just started working in this mall, and I absolutely adore the seafood sub. I'd have bought it religiously." *pout*
          The Tuna is NOT a sufficient replacement, sadly. What was really good was to get the sub toasted, it cooked the seafood and actually made it sweeter. And then get cucumbers and banana peppers, and Sweet onion sauce. Oh, my gods, you'd get just as much on you as in you thanks to all the 'liquids' squirming around in the bread, and you were at risk of throwing up if you looked too closely at the mayo/onion sauce mixture oozing out the side, as it reminded me visually of a runny nose. I have a fairly strong stomach, luckily... I would just ignore the gag reflex and such. Oh man, heaven (if I believed in such a thing).
          I tried that Primerib whatever sub at Quizno's, and the first time I got it, it was freaking undercooked, and made sloppily, but somehow the bread was blackened.
          We as a family went back to that particular Quiznos a few weeks later, and I opted to try it again in hopes of getting a better sample of the sub. And got a much better one.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

hehe okay, we'll just go with food then LOL

I miss my seafood sub, but I'll confess that I hadn't had one in a while. (since before the existence of Sweet Onion sauce anyway).

They have a lobster sub now, but I haven't tried it, because of course they don't have it in Quebec (and I ain't gonna cross the river JUST to get a sub).

And now, having eaten my lovely beef yero (I think it's the same thing as a gyro) at 2:30, I'm gonna get back to work.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth SubwayGirl View Post
              I could understand an employee not knowing how to cut the u-gouge, but to tell you they can't is ridiculous. Sure, the cut changed quite a few years ago, but I still get quite a few customers that ask for it to be cut that way. Usually I just tease them about not wanting to change, but then I do cut it old-style. It doesn't take any more effort to cut it one way or the other.

As far as the seafood sandwich goes, we still have it at my store. It is a very popular sandwich and gets made at least 4 times a day. It's a lb of seafood to 6 ounces of mayonnaise.

I may be biased, but I think Subway is great. Apparently we are doing something right, because there are more Subways in the United States then McDonalds.
              As I understand it, we're not allowed to train new employees on the U-gouge, but are allowed to cut the bread that way if the customer requests it.

Also, Subway has different areas. Some will carry Seafood & Crab where others won't. There are a few items on the menu like that...Rib, Chicken Parmesan etc...

As far as Subways being stingy on the toppings and the sandwiches being mashed down - we all have a formula we should follow when making the sub but that doesn't prevent us from putting on what the customer asks for. If you like more olives, ask for them. We can't refuse...ever. Call customer service if you're refused or if you're told there'll be an extra charge for veggies. Sandwiches being mashed down is just a matter of poor training. The sub is supposed to be appealing when the customer opens it....if it really bugs you that much, talk to the manager.

Also, it's true...there are more places in North America to purchase a Subway sandwich than to buy a Big Mac. That's because of all the Subway sites in hospitals, army bases, schools etc....

Glad to see everyone has some experience of Subway, reading it on here (I can't ever seem to leave work at work, eh?) gives a good sample of my customer base and its opinions. Thanks guys! LOL

Comment

Working...
              X