This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking and driving: statistics

I was in West Palm Beach today and on my way home I decied to do a little survey. I drove on Florida's turnpike from West Palm Beach to northern Broward county, roughly 40 minutes. The speed limie varies between 60 miles per hour (three mile construction zone) and the open highway is 65-70 miles per hour. I was averaging 10-15 miles per hour over the limit, conditions permitting.

During that time, I passed 32 cars that I could clearly see if they were talking on a cell phone or not.

Out of 32 drivers:

16 were talking on the cell phone. Meaning they were using one hand to hold the cell phone to their ear. I did not count people using headsets (you really can't tell if they're talking or not) or other hands-free (again, you can't tell that they're using it).

Out of those 16:
    14 were in the far left (passing) lane. One was in the middle lane and one was in the right lane.

The one in the right lane was driving dangerously slow, over 20 miles per hour below the speed limit (roughly 40 in a 65-70 miles per hour zone).

Out of the 14 in the left lane, 13 were NOT passing anyone. Out of those 13, all of them could have moved over to another lane at one point. Not a single one out of the 13 moved over to let anyone pass.

1 was excessively speeding (obviously he was passing everyone).

2 almost caused an accident by trying to merge into another car (middle lane and one was in the left lane after I passed him).

5 in the left lane were weaving like a drunk driver.

Statistically, according to various police departments and AAA, about one out of four to one out of five drivers on a Friday evening (or weekend evening) are legally drunk. Which means, quite possibly I passed 3 or 4 drunk people talking on their cell phones. Can it get any more dangerous?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Is it legal to be in the left lane if you are not actually passing anyone? On a lot of major roads in NJ the left lane is only for passing. If there is nothing preventing you from getting back over in the right lane, you can get a ticket if you stay in the left. I wonder what kind of fine you get for riding in the left lane AND talking on the phone...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

PA has a similar law--anyone clogging up the left lane can be ticketed. However, it's rarely enforced; if you've been on I-79 lately, you know what I mean. Too many idiots like to use it to 'pace' the car next to them.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        Is it legal to be in the left lane if you are not actually passing anyone? On a lot of major roads in NJ the left lane is only for passing.
        Wow, really? I never noticed that.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Is it legal to be in the left lane if you are not actually passing anyone? On a lot of major roads in NJ the left lane is only for passing. If there is nothing preventing you from getting back over in the right lane, you can get a ticket if you stay in the left. I wonder what kind of fine you get for riding in the left lane AND talking on the phone...
          When I was in NJ< talking while driving (without a hands free device) was a secondary offense, in other words, they couldn't pull you over for it but they could tack it on if they pulled you over for something else.

And it is illegal to clog up the left lane in FL, which brings me to today's observation:

Same drive, about 2:15-2:45 (give or take 5-10 minutes on each side). I coundted the number of left lane cloggers.

I had to move to the center lane to pass 9. 7 were talking in the cell phone.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Is it legal to be in the left lane if you are not actually passing anyone? On a lot of major roads in NJ the left lane is only for passing.
            According to the road signs, that's how most of the major highways are in New York (some stretches of the NYS Thruway are exceptions). However, here in Connecticut, there seem to be no such restrictions. It probably depends on the state and the highway.

In Utah, I would use one hand to hold the cell phone when talking and driving. I got pretty good at driving and signalling all with my left hand. But then, I had a tendency to tune out the phone conversation when driving in difficult areas, rather than tune out my driving to pay attention to the phone. Guess I'm weird like that. Here in CT, and in my home state of NY, I use a headset since it's the law there. Same goes for other states where I'm not sure.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
            X