This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chivalry really is dead

I am SO SICK of old people complaining about young people today. In the past week I've been subject to the rude behavior of not teenagers or 20-somethings, but rather the senior set.

-Went to the grocery store, stopped to look at something at the end of the aisle, grumpy granny wants to get past me. Does she say excuse me? Nope, just wedges her wrinkled ass between me and the other display. I would have gladly moved, and don't touch me!

-Went to the gym and was in the locker room. I had finished my workout and wanted to take a quick shower before getting my daugher out of the childcare area. In shuffle three old women, walking shoulder to shoulder. Obviously they should make room for people coming the other way- so I say "excuse me, I'm trying to get through". They actually glared at me like, how dare I!

- Another one at the gym. I took a sculpting class that is apparently very popular with the seniors. Again, trying to put my weights and mats away and they just will not move- yet they had no problem doing the class.

-In a parking lot, with my daughter, my door is wide open, there are LOTS of open parking spots but for some ridiculous reason this snotbag wants to park right next to me. So he sits. And sits. And sits. Meanwhile, I'm looking for something and totally didn't notice him until he had apparently been there for a while then he HONKS! I was having a really bad morning and on reflex I just swung my whole upper body out of the car and said "WELL FIND ANOTHER GOD DAMN PARKING SPOT, WHAT THE HELL!??!?!?!". He whizzed past me to park catty corner to me then looked at me like "I can't believe she just yelled at me". I wasn't even in a close spot. What was so special about that spot?

-At subway, this old guy actually asked me three times if I was in line (you know how it is- you start at one end then work your way down, he obviously didn't "get" that). Finally after answering him for the third time I had the audacity to sigh. He starts on a rant about people who can't even answer a question without getting mad.

I know there are rude young people out there, but every time I hear some old person going on and on, I think of crap like that and groan.......

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
    -Went to the gym and was in the locker room. I had finished my workout and wanted to take a quick shower before getting my daugher out of the childcare area. In shuffle three old women, walking shoulder to shoulder. Obviously they should make room for people coming the other way- so I say "excuse me, I'm trying to get through". They actually glared at me like, how dare I!
    Of course they did. Don't you know that the elderly hunt in packs?
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

They probably think they've "earned" the right...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

More examples of a key rule in life:

People NEVER will admit to themselves that they are wrong. Their brains are not wired to accept this. Therefore, the offending party must be YOU.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Of course they did. Don't you know that the elderly hunt in packs?
          strength in numbers, don't you know, and they need it at that age.

i agree; as much complaining as they do, most 'seniors' do little to set a good example for much of anyone.

i love the rare ones that do, though >
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
            More examples of a key rule in life:

People NEVER will admit to themselves that they are wrong. Their brains are not wired to accept this. Therefore, the offending party must be YOU.
            You mean SUCKY people will never admit to themselves that they are wrong. As has been mentioned in other threads, there are quite a few people in life that will admit they are in the wrong to themselves, and others believe it or not, when they see that they are in the wrong.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
              as much complaining as they do, most 'seniors' do little to set a good example for much of anyone.
              True, true.

Gotta love the nice old people though!!!
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I hold doors open for ladies, in fact, when I went to get chairs for the (dog) show ring today, I grabbed one for a lady whgo was with us who didn't have one.

Chivalry is not dead, it's just in a coma and only wakes up once in a blue moon. Read my thread about my association's attorney, he knows nothing about chivalry.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Nope, not dead. And don't worry. We're doing our part to train the next generation up right too.

One time, I went to the store, and I was going to take a cart someone had abandoned in an empty slot. This little old lady asked me to please not take it. (Yes, she said please.)

I smiled and veered to another cart, then changed my mind, doubled back and brought the first one over to her. (She was in a handicapped slot).

Unfortunately, my eldest was not with me, or I would have nudged him to do it. Good lesson and cute to boot!
                  Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

My Mommy taught me good manners, and I'll make sure that I teach any children that I have good manners, too.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                      My Mommy taught me good manners, and I'll make sure that I teach any children that I have good manners, too.
                      Same with me. I hold doors open for women, and guys too, if they come out right at that time. I have been taught by my mom and grand parents. Also, in school, we were taught about it
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I think this thread should probably be called "Respect and Manners are dead", considering it was mostly about elderly folk being rude and disrespectful and selfish.

I see old people being greedy and rude nearly everywhere I go.

Do they not understand that respect is a two way street? You have to give respect to earn respect? You don't get respect just because you're old and survived the Ice Age. And I don't get respect for being part of the New Generation.
                        Get over it, you old foagies.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I guess it goes the other way too, when was the last time you saw someone treating an old person with kindness and respect? I held a door open for an old woman with a cane once, and you would have thought I'd given her a thousand dollars, she was so appreciative. She said no one ever does that anymore. Pretty sad.
                          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Yeah, old people can suck sometimes. I used to get old guys at my pet store job that wouldn't want to talk to me because I'm a young female. WTF? I knew a lot about all of the products in every department because I worked there for quite some time.
                            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                            The Office

Comment

Chivalry really is not dead.
                              I met my wife because I held the door open for an old lady.
                              I wasn't paying attention after the old lady went through and I slammed into my future wife and knocked her on her ass.
                              6 months later we were married.

Comment

Working...
                              X