This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it's not real!

This may read wonky, I'm tired but want to share this little fun snippet from today.

I can't drink milk, and often find myself buying Silk (a kind of soy milk) or Lactaid. Lactaid is a kind of milk that has the lactose removed. It's also kinda sweet tasting. Nice in a cup of coffee.

Well, today while out and about running some errands, I ended up heading into wally world to pick up a few things. While I was there, apparently some peta wack jobs were wandering around jumping all over anyone wearing animal products or buying anything related to animals.

This one came by me as I was leaving (note, they were outside the store) going on about...well, here. Here's pretty much what he said:

Peta Nut=PN
    R= me

PN= Sir. SIR, did you know that the milk you have there contains hormones and has been proven to promote cancer?
    R= No it doesn't.
    PN= (getting snotty) Oh yes it does! Do you have kids? Why would you give them that?
    R= I don't have kids, and that's not milk.
    PN= (more attitude) Oh? It's not milk is it? I can read, and that carton says...aw f*ck. You're lactose intollerant aren't you?
    R= Yeah.
    PN= Look, I'm really sorry man. Don't drink the chocolate though.
    R= (being smart assed of course) Why, because it causes cancer?
    PN= (now sheepish) Ah no. It'll just give you the shits. Some kind of vegetable oil in it.

*now, remember how he said milk caused cancer? I must have gotten him flustered because he started to suggest other things I can drink. One of which is a new milk out by Land O Lakes where they remove the lactic acid that makes me sick.

You know...I hate peta for a number of reasons, but I have to give that guy credit. He was QUICK to admit he'd put his foot in his mouth.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

See, now that one seems like someone just overenthusiastic for the cause, and it is nice when someone admits their mistake like that Rational behaviour for all!!! *goes around passing out free sanity buttons*
    Wait *checks the bag* Hmm, shoulda kept one or two for myself
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
      PN= Sir. SIR, did you know that the milk you have there contains hormones and has been proven to promote cancer?
      I hate it when they say stuff like that. They did studies you know! Scientist-type peoples! My cousin's boyfriend's ex-husband told me! Why isn't no one ever asks who? "They did it" and "it's been proven" seems to be enough for people. Cite your claims, people.

Remember when those guys used to throw blood on people? I wonder why they stopped . . . someone must have asked them where they were getting that goddamn blood.

Man, you can make anything out of soy. Too bad the stuff gives me headaches.
      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
        As best as I can tell from the news, nearly everything causes/promotes cancer. Heh.

At least he apologized. That's something.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          As best as I can tell from the news, nearly everything causes/promotes cancer. Heh.
          I heard from a reliable source that babies give you cancer. It's true I know a guy who knows a guy who slept with a girl who's ex-boyfriend is a janitor in a lab. No, I don't know what kind of lab, does that matter?

Feeling snarky today.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Reminds me of those "Truth" commercials on TV. They almost outright lie to scare you into doing what they want.

Like cigarettes contain dog urine. Untrue. They contain urea (a chemical component of urine), but don't contain any kind of animal urine.

Nutjobs.

Comment

That is freakin' hilarious.
              "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

I was watching a cooking show, the one with Alton Brown as the host, and it was all about milk. Interesting fact: Most of the adult world can't drink milk. Only North American people of European decent, Europeans, and Indians(from India) can drink it without getting really bad gas(and I'm sure I have forgotten a few cultures too, those are just the ones I remember). Some scientists think that lactose tolerance is our most recent evolution.

Cancer, really? Whatever, what DOESN'T cause cancer?

Note to repsac in response to your PM: Have you ever been to the Amicalola Falls national park? I live 5 minutes from there. It's in Dawson County. I actually live really close to Pickens county. (I have to post it here because you have your control panel set to not be able to recieve PM's)
                Check out my cosplay social group!
                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Gabrielle, that would be Good Eats.
                  I saw that episode. He gave the cameraman some of that milk spread and "Lactose Man" jumped in and punched him in the gut.
                  "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    As best as I can tell from the news, nearly everything causes/promotes cancer.
                    Life - it's invariably fatal.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

At least he apologized, he's on his way to having his foot surgically removed from his mouth. At least until he sets his sights on the next slob.

Long ago I used to be sympathetic to peta. Thankfully, I grew up.
                      Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                        Life - it's invariably fatal.
                        Whenever someone tries to scare me into a "Healthy" lifestyle (Most often Whole Foods or Veganism) I always tell them something like that, or "I'm here for a good time, not a long one."

Oddly enough, though, I've noticed that people who keep in shape (aka, exercise and basic nutrition) and don't stress over things are the ones that tend to live the longest, no matter what their diet is. My theory is, therefore, that the secret to long life is not worrying about having a long life. If you just take care of the basic maintenance and don't fret about long term repercussions (aka, getting Alzheimer's in 20 years because you're having a Coke in an aluminum can today) your body can handle a lot more in the way of upkeep, thus giving you better health for longer than someone who gets all freaked out because Red Dye #20 is shown to lead to a 6% increase in prostate cancer rates.

Ironic, isn't it?
                        Last edited by JustADude; 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                          Whenever someone tries to scare me into a "Healthy" lifestyle (Most often Whole Foods or Veganism) I always tell them something like that, or "I'm here for a good time, not a long one."

Oddly enough, though, I've noticed that people who keep in shape (aka, exercise and basic nutrition) and don't stress over things are the ones that tend to live the longest, no matter what their diet is.
                          I completely agree. I may not eat perfectly, and I may do things I shouldn't, but overall, I get all my necessary nutrients, I'm not terribly overweight, and I can run if I have to, so I'm not too worried.

It doesn't hurt that I have a very good chance of getting cancer due to something (HPV I was born with, as I most likely got it from my mother) I have never been able to do anything about. Makes it easier not to worry about the rest.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

If you've seen Penn & Teller's HBO show 'Bullshit', they did an interesting piece on PETA.

Comment

Remember this about life: Ain't nobody gettin' outta here alive!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X