This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy your own bloody smokes!

This happened a few days ago. I was in town shopping (the kids have now broken up for school) when a girl of around 14 came up to me. "Can I have a fag?" she said. "No. Buy your own," I replied. "Bitch," she muttered, before walking away.

Just how is it bitchy to want to keep my smokes to myself? I pay for the bloody things, ffs.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I hear about this crap every day. How is it that the "respect me" crowd is not too respectable to panhandle?

I ever catch my kid panhandling she will become a volunteer working in a soup kitchen that very same day.

Comment

I'm against kids smoking, but really, my philosophy is "If you're going to do it, find a way to get it on your own." Don't ask me for something to support your habit, don't ask me to get it for you. If you're going to do something, you should have a way to do it that doesn't depend on the kindness of others. And if you're going to go around asking random people for free stuff, don't get pissed if they say NO. Geez, you're not going to get far with an entitlement attitude like that, 'cause you're going to keep running up against everyone else's
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        "Can I have a fag?"
        Yes, I KNOW she was asking for a smokey treat, but it would've been funny if you had said, "No, my gay guys are MINE. You can't have them!! Get away!!! Shoo!!"

OK, it was funnier when I thought of it, but still.

Post #4000
        Last edited by Becks; 07-31-2007, 03:05 PM. Reason: had to do an off topic
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm curious; what part of the country are cigarettes known as "fags"?

Comment

Lace Neil Singer is from England. I gather it's a pretty common expression there.
            "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
            "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
            --Dilbert

Comment

When I was 16 I was in my truck with the window down, sitting at a light. Granted it was cold out, but I was hot. A 14 year old screams from the sidewalk "Can I get a cigarette?"

I don't smoke, never have. I guess because the window was down she assumed. But what makes smokers be so bold as to ask others for free cigs?

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                I don't smoke, never have. I guess because the window was down she assumed. But what makes smokers be so bold as to ask others for free cigs?
                I've wondered that myself. I don't smoke either, but if I did, what with the price of cigarettes, I wouldn't share with random strangers either! I don't know if I'd even share with my friends!
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I guess you've never been tempted with nicotine addiction and a sense of entitlement.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Irony strikes at the strangest of times. Today I went for my 2.5 mile walk during lunch. A rail trail runs behind the plant I work at, it's got nice scenery so it's always an enjoyable break from hell.. er.. work. I've met my share of morons on that trail, including one character who made like he was going to hit me with his bike. It took great restraint not to shove that bike where the sun doesn't shine.

Today, however, after reading this topic this morning, I encounter a couple of guys who were.. well.. let's put it hygiene impaired, sitting at a small picnic area off the side of the trail. I've got my headphones on listening to my tunes when I hear one of them start yelling. I glance over, and he's making a motion like he's smoking a cigarette, and I'm able to hear him asking if I have one. I replied "No." and kept going. I could hear one of them let out a laugh. So I too have to ask the question, what makes people think they can just walk up to someone out of the blue and ask for stuff, smokers or not? It's no different than walking up to someone and asking, "Hey, can I have 5 bucks?" The answer's going to be the same, so why try?
                    Last edited by IT Grunt; 07-31-2007, 04:52 PM.
                    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Now I'll admit, I've walked up to people (back when I smoked) who CURRENTLY WERE SMOKING and asked if they could give me a light, but I've never asked a complete stranger for a cigarette (and if I bummed off my friends, I usually repaid in full or half-packs... I used to smoke Mores Menthol or Benson & Hedges Ultra Light Menthol 100s, so nobody ever bummed off me )
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

People try to bum smokes off me all the time - I keep a pack with only one cig in it accessable so I can say "it is my last one" - it is very rare that someone has the balls to ask for someone's last smoke.
                        On a side note - I used to walk past the jail on the way home. It is a non smoking jail - once and awhile someone would bum a smoke that just got released - those folks I would give smokes to.

Comment

I've never had anyone try to bum any off me but I have seen one rummaging through a public ash tray picking out ciggs. Also off the ground too.
                          My Wajas cave

Comment

I've been known to ask people for smokes when I'm working. But I always make sure it's someone who I've been known to talk to outside when I'm on break. I also, always offer to buy the cigarette off of them. (usually they just give it to me). I'm also known to return the favour if they need one. But I've never understood how someone could go up to a complete stranger and just ask for one.
                            I always get teenagers asking me for one. I've started responding by asking to see some I.D. because I don't want to get in trouble for giving a cigarette to a minor. (I actually know someone who was fined for this)
                            My favorite though was this girl asked me for one. When I told her I was out, she followed me to the store. I said "no" again, and she said "but you just bought a pack". I couldn't believe the nerve of her.

Comment

I used to get kids trying to get me to buy them packets of smokes when I was at college; I just took their money, bought a packet of fags, then waved at them saying "Thanks!" before walking off. Serves them right for trying to get someone to break the law for them, tho yes, I admit that was a bit bitchy.

As for the original person, I will never give a cig to a random stranger who just asks me for one; they can bloody well buy their own. I've given smokes to friends, who've paid me back by buying me a drink later or giving me a cig at a later date. But a complete stranger, especially some bratty teenage girl? Forget it.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X