X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Gal does not equal 1 Gal

Got this from another site, copy and pasted so any typos are their fault:

I use a big thermos mug everyday for ice tea or pop at Circle K station. If you bring in your own cup it's considered a refill according to their sign. ALL their cup sizes are the same price of 99 cents if you use their cups (22 oz. up to 64 oz.) or refills are 89 cents if you bring you own cup. I use 2 different thermos mugs. One is a 64 oz. and the other is a 100 oz. mug. I usually use the 100 oz one during the weekend when I'm outside working in the garage or in the yard so I drink a lot.

Walked in one time with my 100 oz. mug, filled it with pop and walked over to the cashier. She rings up a 2 gallon refill for $3.00 I ask why is it $3 when every other time I've been in here it's always been 89 cents for a refill.
    She tells me thats a 2 gallon cup.
    I say, uh no it isn't, it's not even 1 gallon.
    She says it's 100 oz right?
    I say yes.
    She says thats 2 gallons.
    I tell her that 128 oz. is 1 gallon and 256 oz. is 2 gallons.
    She looks at me funny like I'm stupid. I go over and grab a 1 gallon milk jug and show her the label on it.
    look 1 gallon/ 128 oz. then I point to the label on my mug thats says 100 oz. and say get it now?
    She says, but thats milk not pop.
    I was floored and stunned. I asked her, so 1 gallon of pop is smaller then 1 gallon of milk?
    she says yes because it's different liquid.
    me.. I asked her, did you make it past the 3rd grade in school??
    she rolls her eyes at me, re-rings it up as 89 cents,
    I hand her a dollar and say keep the change, you going to need it.
    Next day there is a note on each register in big bold letters describing to the cashier what to charge refills. "ALL REFILLS NO MATTER WHAT SIZE ARE TO BE RUNG UP AS REG. REFILL OF 89 CENTS!!!!"

A 2 gallon CUP? That would be an awful big cup, wouldn't it?

*Sighs* Most of the problems we see on this board are people making mistakes, and then utterly defying logic to justify those mistakes as correct, rather than saving themselves looking like morons and saying 'Oh! I'm sorry, you're right.'

THIS is how we end up with people confused about simple stuff, because some other moron overcomplicated the whole issue in order to cover up a mistake they initially made.
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Wow... I'm Canadian (and thus use Metric), but even I know that 100oz does NOT equal one gallon (one gallon = 3.89 Litres, one ounce = 30mL, roughly.... the two don't jive).
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

um....is that the "new" math that's all the rage nowadays? Jeez,a gallon IS a gallon no matter what type of liquid it is.

Comment

...trying to picture the "cup" that holds 2 gallons...I believe that would be called a bucket

though that does seem a tad, well, shady to bring in a 100 oz. cup and fill it for only 89 cents. I'm kind of surprised the store would do that, especially considering it's not one of their cups being refilled.

...trying to imagine drinking 100 ounces of soda in one day...how many calories is that? yikes!
          (lets see, according to this chart I found, 227 calories in 20 oz of regular cola = 1135 for 100 oz. [and approximately 83 teaspoons of sugar]) Sure hope they're drinking diet!
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-04-2007, 02:39 AM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

100 oz is almost 3L? Holy crap! But I do have to say, a long time ago, back when companies did things like that more commonly, I had a 2L water bottle thermos-type thing that I could get filled up for less than a buck. So it's not completely unheard of.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth JustAGirl View Post
              Next day there is a note on each register in big bold letters describing to the cashier what to charge refills. "ALL REFILLS NO MATTER WHAT SIZE ARE TO BE RUNG UP AS REG. REFILL OF 89 CENTS!!!!"
              I would've LOVED to have been there for the conversation between the cashier and her supervisor/manager/store policy maker-enforcer.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

OMG that's scary. I admit to having trouble sometimes with converting ounces into pints, etc., but I can usually do it if i think about it.

That reminds me of the caf in college. It was run by this lady named Theresa, and you did not mess with her! Back in those days, there were no meal cards to swipe; we had laminated cardboard with the number of meals per semester you purchased, and Theresa had to punch every time you went in. You were also allowed to bring your own cup for soda, and take it with you when you left, filled., but it couldn't be over a certain size. We ususally used the plastic cups with ridges around them, they're a standard size.

Well, one day all mine were dirty, and i brought a taller, narrower cup in. She wouldn't let me bring it as she said it was too big! i argued it wasn't, but she wouldn't give in - so when i got back to my room, i filled the "allowed size" cup with water, and poured it into my tall forbidden cup. Filled it up about 3/4 of the way, so it was actually SMALLER in size than what everyone else had.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                  OMG that's scary. I admit to having trouble sometimes with converting ounces into pints, etc., but I can usually do it if i think about it.

You were also allowed to bring your own cup for soda, and take it with you when you left, filled., but it couldn't be over a certain size. We ususally used the plastic cups with ridges around them, they're a standard size.
                  I know that a cup is 8oz and a pint is 16oz, but beyond that I have to think a little. But I can tell at a glance that 100 oz is not 2 gallons...

We weren't allowed to bring any food out of the caf (except maybe an ice cream cone if we were still eating it) [not that that kept us from sneaking out bagels and whatnot]; we also weren't allowed to bring in backpacks or bottles or anything like that. Except if you were sick and went to the health center, they would give you a "juice card," usually good for several days to a week, which allowed you to bring in a bottle to fill with juice so you could carry it around with you and get better. The joke on campus was that whatever was wrong with you, they'd give you a juice card...Cold? Flu? Here's a juice card!...Broken Arm? Liver Failure? Leprosy? Juice card! A little OJ cures everything!

Comment

I just have to say it...

Lisa: It's better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
                    Homer (thinking): What's that mean? Better say something or she'll think you're stupid.
                    Homer: Takes one to know one!

For some reason this story brought this to mind. The woman seemed merely clueless, but got stupider and stupider as she tried to prove her point.
                    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

oz? gallon?

/me stares blankly into space
                      Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
                      Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

I'll be honest, I don't remember all my conversions, but I sure do know what a gallon of milk looks like and could tell the difference between THAT and a cup that holds LESS than a gallon of liquid....

Damn... 2 gallons...you'd definitely need a bucket...what was that girl THINKING?!
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

And, being the other-side-stickler as I was with the "engineer" thread here I come again to derail all. on one hand the girl seems stubborn or right stupid to me from your description...

but it well might be an "unit meassure" is not always a "unit meassure".

Thake ounces for example, there used to be many types of ounces before, and today even two are still in use, the normal ounces, and troy ounces used normally when weighing gold (you can see it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ounces ) so for example an ounce of lead might not be the same as an ounce of gold... once again, I doubt it was the original case, but I love to try and justify the morons with uncommon knowledge (there is a story about something like this that happened locally, not with me, that I love as a good example, I might tell it latter in off topic)
                          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post

Thake ounces for example, there used to be many types of ounces before, and today even two are still in use, the normal ounces, and troy ounces used normally when weighing gold (you can see it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ounces ) so for example an ounce of lead might not be the same as an ounce of gold...
                            So does that mean Goldschlager is measured differently than Peach Schnapps?

Comment

There is a difference between troy ounces and regular, measure-of-dry-goods ounces, just as there's a difference between solid dry-goodness ounces and fluid ounces. There's no difference between fluid ounces and fluid ounces.

Furthermore, wouldn't the soda be lighter on account of the CO2? Or have I just proven that I haven't done better than a "C" in a science class since 1998.
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Working...
                              X