Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*bomp*bomp*bomp* Another One Rides the Bus (very long and some profanity)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *bomp*bomp*bomp* Another One Rides the Bus (very long and some profanity)

I've been meaning to post this for several weeks. This is my (and anyone else's) bus adventure thread. (oh, and Skyway stories are ok, too )

Unlike Gravekeeper, I don't really have any SCs to talk about, so I can't just sandwich my bus stories in with regular posts.

For some background, I have to take two separate buses to and from work, and I take a different set of buses in the afternoon than I take in the morning.

So, on with the bus adventures!

Push the Button, Max

So, one morning I get off the first bus and mosey on over to the corner so I can cross the street to get to the stop for my second bus. There's a girl, maybe 14, already standing at the corner and I think to myself that she must have pushed the button already. She couldn't be so stupid as to not have pushed the button. Right?

So, the light changes and lo, the crosswalk does not turn green. The girl stands there like the idiot she is, because obviously you can't cross until the little crosswalk man is green, right? Since I already have no faith in people having brains, I was ready, and reached past her to punch the button.

Since this particular signal was programmed by people with brains and it's only been a couple of seconds, the crosswalk changes over, and all is right with the world. I pity today's youth.

Wattle Man

I get on the bus one morning, and there's this guy up in the front who is filthy, foul-looking, and muttering to himself. I have dubbed him Wattle Man due to the fact that he has a notable wattle. It's obvious that in the not too distant past, he was much heavier than he is now.

I go sit down and all is well. I can hear, from my position near the back door of the bus, that this guy is muttering profanities to himself in a near-constant stream. Whatever it is that the bus driver is doing, WM doesn't like it.

About three stops later, we have a wheelchair. That doesn't sit well with WM. Not well at all. WM decides that he needs to move further back into the bus to avoid the dreaded wheelchair rider. WM chooses to sit directly behind me. Aren't I lucky.

That's when I discover that WM not only looks foul, but he smells as good as he looks. Joy. And he's still muttering a fairly steady stream of bitching and profanities.

I gave him my death glare as I left the bus.

I've seen him a few other times, as well. He is always muttering profanity-laced complaints, no matter the ocaision. Only now in addition to an extreme state of unwashedness, he also sports a very grubby and dirt-encrusted plastic hospital wristband.

The Woman with No Nose

I have no idea of the circumstances, but the same day I first encountered WM, I also ran into the woman who has no nose.

The first time I saw her she looked pretty upbeat. Mostly toothless, and with a big bandage over the part of her face where her nose would be, but otherwise fairly happy.

Of the several other times I have seen her during my morning treks into work, she has looked decidedly less happy. I get the distinct inpression that she has done a lot of really hard drinking and a lot of really hard drugs. I don't know for sure, but that's surely the impression I get.

Dealer McDope

Today, I think I must have seen the most pathetically obvious dope dealer in the world, ever.

I had thought the guy who dropped his pants at the end of the Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time concert in a tribute to Bruce Dickinson, right in front of the cops was about as clueless as you get, but at least he wasn't carrying a couple hundred dollars worth of dope in a large ziploc at the local train/bus depot.

So, I'm sitting on one of the benches along the 5 bays for buses at the depot which is also a rail station. It gets a lot of traffic. My first bus was nice and late, so now I get to wait half an hour for my next second bus.

I glance over to the right as a bus lets out and watch this guy plop down on another bench. A few minutes later, another guy strolls on over, and they get to talking. The first guy has pulled out this large bag full of green leafy stuff. I'm two benches away, and I can see immediately what he's doing.

He proceeds to roll up the bag, after pulling out his customer's purchase, and then stuffs it in his sock. Yeah, like that isn't about as obvious as you get. I mocked him to the lady sitting next to me. She also found his idiocy vaguely amusing.

Then, they proceeded to sit there, smoking joints, while waiting for their bus. Considering that they didn't stub them out until after the bus had stopped and was actually waiting on them to get on, I know they must have smelled quite strongly of pot to everyone on the bus.

If you're going to be dealing a controlled substance in quantities high enough to be a felony, don't you think you'd keep a slightly lower profile?

Super Skank

I am again waiting on my connecting bus at the station. This time my first bus was only slightly late. My second bus, which was still at the station when we pulled in, decided that leaving the station during the time that anyone on the late bus would be halfway to the waiting bus was an excellent idea. Ass.

So, I sit down on one of the benches. As I'm waiting, I see this woman walking towards me and I think to myself that the dress she's wearing would look really nice if the top wasn't so loose on her.

She sits next to me. It is at that point that I can tell that the reason the dress doesn't fit right in the front is because it's half zipped down in the back. At this point, I'm thinking that perhaps she's a little ditzy.

Boy was I wrong.

While she's sitting there, on the bench next to me, in a busy train station during afternoon rush, she proceeds to reach down between her legs to wipe at her crotch with a bit of paper towel!

And if that's not nasty enough, she the proceeds to sniff at it!

Oh, yeah. I quite plainly and deliberately moved to the end of the bench.

She sat there, wiping and sniffing, for about five minutes. Then she got up and went partway behind some of the trees (probably for the shade) and continued to do whatever the hell it was she was doing.

At this point, I'm wondering how much a skanky ho charges for a go at the bus station....

The Man Who Would Not Shut Up

I am on my second, longer bus, heading in to work. I sit in my usual spot, right across from the back doors. There is a man up at the front in the very first seat right behind the front door talking to the woman two seats away from him.

I can hear him quite plainly from halfway down the bus, although I don't have the fainted idea what the hell he was saying, as he talked as if his mouth were full of marshmallows.

It's fairly obvious that the woman next to him wants him to shut the fuck up and go away. We hit another stop and he spots fresh meat getting on. One 20-something woman sits across from him, so he starts acosting her.

He's loud, he's obviously opinionated, and at this point, I can tell that he's spouting some egotistical religious crap.

My stop is coming up, so I punch the call button and stand up. At this point I make some comment about him not shutting up and I strongly believe that the man who was sitting in front of me laughed about it because the man who wouldn't shut up turned and started to give him a load of grief.

I don't know for certain why, because he still sounded like he liked to smuggle cottonballs in his cheeks. But I do know that I pissed him off when I made a parting shot as I left the bus.

I do feel somewhat sorry for the people who were still stuck with him, however.

Denied, Part i

I'm on the bus, waiting for the layover at the station to be over so we can get moving. A guy gets on the bus and tries to use a Metro Rail day pass to ride. This bus is not part of the Metro system, and so that day pass is useless.

The guy whines a bit, but gives up and pays the whopping $0.90 it costs to ride the bus. (the bus company must make a ton of money they don't have to claim because people just shove a dollar into the slot, rather than feed in 90 cents in coins)

Denied, Part ii

Another guy steps onto the bus and says, "I'm going to need a transfer, right?"

The bus driver appears to have been dealing with idiots all shift, because he's decidedly not amused. He lets the guy know that, "Yes, you're going to need a transfer."

The guy then asks how long the layover is. The bus driver tells him three minutes. The guy, full of hope, asks if it's ten minutes. The bus driver crushes his hope and repeats that it's only three minutes.

The guy runs off, ostensibly to get the transfer he should have had in the first place.

Denied, Part iii

Another guy (they're all guys that day) steps up onto the bus and flashes a monthly pass. I had used a token myself, because it was the beginning of the month, and I had neglected to replace my monthly pass yet.

Obviously, this guy had also neglected to replace his pass, or was otherwise unaware that it was now August, and the bus driver gave him a no go on the expired pass.

The guy whines and wheedles for a few minutes, but finally gives up in the face of the bus driver's lack of caring, and pulls out a dollar to feed into the machine.

Denied, Epilogue

So, we finally leave, about five minutes after Part ii guy took off.

The guy from Part ii never reappeared, so he either found alternate arrangements, or he was waiting the 30 minutes for the next bus.

The Man Who Would Not Shut Up, Wheelchair Edition

I'm at the stop waiting for my second bus one morning, and this guy in a wheelchair rolls up.

He singles out this young woman who is holding a few books and appears to be headed to the college that happens to be either the same stop or one stop past my stop for work.

He starts talking to her. The first thing I notice is that he's loud. Sporting event at the stadium, loud. Loud out of all proportion to what is required on the sidewalk at a bus stop at 7:30 in the morning.

The second thing I notice is that he's talking about consiracy theories and how the government and big business are all evil and out to get us and blah, blah, blah. I'm surprised this guy wasn't sporting a tinfoil hat!

Both the school woman and I were rescued from his ranting when the bus pulled up. There were already two people in wheelchairs on, and there are only two stations for people in wheelchairs, so Mr Conspiracy Theory had to wait for the next bus to get a ride.

The silence was golden.

They're Your Brats, So Stop Ignoring Them

I've had the misfortune to share the bus with this crew two different times, now, and to say I am not impressed is an understatement.

The group consists of two women, one of which is small-ish, neatly dressed, and obviously coming home from work. The other woman is grossly obese, wears clothes that don't really fit, and doesn't appear to be particularly responsible.

Between them, they have four toddlers with them. The smaller woman has one that is less than a year old, and another that's possibly three. Aside from the fact that the older one likes to scream, they're not so bad.

The larger woman is in charge of two tykes who I would guess to be about two and four. They are both hyperactive and very, very noisy. LW keeps a small collection of junk food (like Cheetoes and wafer cookies) on hand to try to bribe her pair of charges to behave. Otherwise, she does absolutely nothing to keep them from annoying everybody else on the bus.

Nothing.

The last time I was on with them, I watched as the older of her pair dropped his wafer on the seat, picked it up, then dropped it on the floor. I know that she looked at it on the floor and just left it there. Meanwhile, both of her charges are grinding wafer dust and Cheetos into the seats as they squirm around.

Oh, and they like to take up one entire side of the front of the bus. You know, the place where you're supposed to keep space for the elderly and handicapped.

I watched as a very ghetto-looking 20-something gave up his seat for an older lady. I, personally, gave up my seat so another older woman could have it. (she was quite happy to not have to walk further back into the bus. I was happy to not have to be so close to the terrors at the front of the bus. win-win) Then, the guy with the cane and obvious foot prosthetic limped onto the bus. The terror squad ignored him and forced him to hobble past the seats that should have been available to the next available one, which was right in front of my new spot, near the back doors of the bus.

I'm not so upset at the smaller woman, but the other one I loathe.

That's all of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to chime in with your own fun tales of adventure while riding public transit.

^-.-^
    Last edited by Ree; 08-05-2007, 01:35 PM.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

My most memorable bus story was the homeless guy who was so passed out drunk that for a few moments the driver was pondering if the guy was dead or not.

I perfected the art of going into a trancelike state while riding the bus, which helped me deal with the rides home that were hazardously overfilled with people.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

I, too have to use the bus to get to work (for Macy's, I live close enough to walk to the library), so I've definitely got my share of stories.....one of which involves someone who often waits at the first bus stop I have to take. I refer to this person as "Albino IT", because I can't tell if they are male or female, and they look like one of their parents was an albino, and the other was black. In addition, his/her hair is apparently curly, but is soo matted and flat that it looks like the sort of snarls that long-haired cats can get. Now, I'm not the sort to judge someone just by how they look, but I'm not getting why someone would want their hair to look like that......especially when it's gotten to the point where it doesn't even resemble actual hair anymore.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        So, the light changes and lo, the crosswalk does not turn green. The girl stands there like the idiot she is, because obviously you can't cross until the little crosswalk man is green, right? Since I already have no faith in people having brains, I was ready, and reached past her to punch the button.
        What is the goddamn point of that button? All it does is make sure the little man lights up at the same time the light turns green. If you don't push the button the light turns green but the man doesn't light up. In most places, that is, around here the man lights up when the light turns green whether you punch the button or not. Hell, the button could be connected to nothing and it wouldn't make a difference. It doesn't affect traffic at all. Do we even need the man? We could just go when the light was green. We're not stupid. Oh yeah, we are. I forgot.

B.T.W., around here the little man and the hand are white and orange instead of green and red. What the Hell is up with that?

The guy whines a bit, but gives up and pays the whopping $0.90 it costs to ride the bus. (the bus company must make a ton of money they don't have to claim because people just shove a dollar into the slot, rather than feed in 90 cents in coins)
        I know traditionally The Driver Carries No Change, but if the only kind of change you'll ever need is a dime, why not carry a roll of dimes in a little dispenser? Would it really be that hard?
        Last edited by Ree; 08-05-2007, 01:33 PM.
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
          What is the goddamn point of that button? All it does is make sure the little man lights up at the same time the light turns green.
          I know that with a couple, and I mean maybe 4 or 5 that I've noticed out of the couple hundred in the city, pushing the button makes the light in that direction longer, to give pedestrians more time to cross, and at others, it will force the light to change, similar to a car pulling up to the light.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
            What is the goddamn point of that button? All it does is make sure the little man lights up at the same time the light turns green. If you don't push the button the light turns green but the man doesn't light up.
            <snip>
            Do we even need the man? We could just go when the light was green. We're not stupid. Oh yeah, we are. I forgot.
            Around here, the man indicates that there's enough time for a pedestrian to cross, and the green light indicates that there's enough time for a car to cross.

When the man is flashing, there's nominally not enough time for a pedestrian to cross - but at the start of the flashing-man phase, athletes can easily make it.

As for the button, its purpose is similar to the weight sensors on side street traffic lights, as Broomjockey said.

Now, on the thread topic:

I once had a very enlightening and helpful conversation on a bus. It was a busy bus, and I ended up sitting next to an old guy who'd lived through both World Wars and the Great Depression.

I was having a rough time of it at the time, and - well, the summary of his advice to me is 'This, too, shall pass'. Bad times happen and good times happen and whatever happens, it's not permanent. Live through it, and most bad things will go away.

He really helped me.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              When the man is flashing, there's nominally not enough time for a pedestrian to cross - but at the start of the flashing-man phase, athletes can easily make it.
              Ah yes, and according to the nice police man handing out jay-walking tickets downtown, if you step into the crosswalk when the orange man is flashing, that's jay-walking. In Pioneer Square the intersections used to have no walk signals. They installed a few last year, which means that whereas it didn't used to be illegal to step in the crosswalk ten seconds before the traffic signal turned amber, now it is, because of the flashing orange man.
              Last edited by Ree; 08-05-2007, 01:34 PM.
              You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Somehow I'm getting a constant snigger every time I read the words "flashing green/orange man". XD

I used to get the bus all the time, and used to plug myself into headphones to block out idiocy. My main annoyance was men who felt they needed a whole seat for them and their Torygraph. I just used to sit next to them and plug in my headphones; I paid for the seat, their newspaper didn't.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Some of the walk signals around me now have timers on them (usually 15 seconds) so you know how long you have until the Don't Walk will stop flashing and just stay on. The walk signal (white walking man) will stay for however long, then the don't walk (also orange hand here) will flash and the timer will start counting down. When it hits 0 it stops flashing and the traffic light turns yellow. So even when it starts flashing you still have enough time to cross (if you walk at an average pace; maybe not if you have a walker or other handicap).

I used to take the train into Philly every day. I never really had any bad sightings, to tell the truth. Nothing that sticks in my head, anyway. The usual loud people and cell phone yellers (though this was 6 years ago; cell phones weren't quite as widespread as they are now). I would usually read and just ignore everyone, anyway.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't take a bus often, usually only on vacation, since I have no reason/nowhere to go. But this sticks out pretty well. On my first trip to Niagara, there was a family of Rednecks, really nice people that we were with for the whole tour. Towards the end this little rap-punk got on. He thought he could rap, and decided it would be a good idea to show us his skillz freestyling. I would have rather listened to a cat in the blender but that's okay. Even the bus driver told him to shut up a few times. He thought he was hot shit. Remember those Redneck folks I told you about. Well the father was about 6 1/2 feet tall, 350 pounds, all muscle, and getting pissed off at this kid. After bellowing "Shut up, or I will throw you out of the fucking bus!" and the kid trying to act tough...until he saw the giant, the kid shut up, sat down, and the bus applauded the man.
                    It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
                    ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                      B.T.W., around here the little man and the hand are white and orange instead of green and red. What the Hell is up with that?
                      Perhaps it has to do with colorblind people? I could not tell you.

Most of the signals around here are demand controlled, so the button for the crosswalk indicates a demand for the signal to change for that direction. And the crosswalk light going means that an average person will have no difficulty getting from one side of the street to the other.

Quoth Aldous View Post
                      After bellowing "Shut up, or I will throw you out of the fucking bus!" and the kid trying to act tough...until he saw the giant, the kid shut up, sat down, and the bus applauded the man.
                      Heh... Kind of like the scene in Star Trek IV.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        I once had a very enlightening and helpful conversation on a bus. It was a busy bus, and I ended up sitting next to an old guy who'd lived through both World Wars and the Great Depression.

I was having a rough time of it at the time, and - well, the summary of his advice to me is 'This, too, shall pass'. Bad times happen and good times happen and whatever happens, it's not permanent. Live through it, and most bad things will go away.

He really helped me.

That is AWESOME. That you ran into him, he was what you needed at that point in time, and you are the kind of person to talk to someone and listen to their story. Everyone won.

Comment

I don't really have an on the bus story but rather at the bus stop. One thing I like to do while on the bus is read and listen to my headphones. I was waiting at the bus stop headphones on, when some asshat decides that I and I alone am the only one who can tell him the time.

Forget the five or six other people waiting with cellphones or visible watches. Forget the convenience store right behind the bus stop with the big ass clock right in the doorway. Forget the fact I have headphones on.

He apparently asked me a couple of times according to someone else at the bus stop and after not receiving an answer he did the dumbest thing ever. He proceeded to reach into my personal space and remove my headphones. And to top it off after I literally ripped into he tried to lecture me about playing my music so loud that I couldn't hear people ask me questions.
                          My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

At this point, I'm wondering how much a skanky ho charges for a go at the bus station....
                            $20, but you can usually talk them down to $5 if business is slow.

Comment

Down this way (all of Australia, actually), crossing signals come with a red man standing still on top and then a green man shown striding below him. When it's time to cross the green man lights up and little beeper things under the buttons go off. After a while the green man goes off and the red man starts flashing, telling you to get a move on and finish crossing.

Back to transport tales - I was on a train recently and I could hear very load rap coming from somewhere down the carriage. I had a while to go until my stop, so I got up and walked toward the music. I identified the source as the headphones of a boy, around 15yo, at the other end of the 23m (75') carriage! His music was so loud that it could be head over the track noise nearly 30 metres away. And, while this may sound a little SC-ish, I could not take it any longer. I walked up to him, removed his headphones, and said "Do you plan on using your hearing in 5 years? Turn it down, or get off."
                              I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Working...
                              X