This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late night adventures at Wal-Mart

The manager ended up asking me to stay late last night because someone who left earlier said they finished their assigned tasks when they didn't, so I was kindly asked to take up their slack. But I digress . . .

I needed to go to Wal-Mart afterwards to pick up a few things, and I figure hey, it's nearly midnight, shouldn't be too awfully bad, should it?

I was wrong.

I zoom around and get my stuff, then attempt to get in a speedy checkout. I'm already a bit peeved with the lady in front of us, as she's piled up a good deal more than 20 items, but the cashier was trying to be patient. She rang everything up and the lady went to pay her. We waited. And waited, and waited some more. Cashier is starting to look frustrated, says something about having to wait for her manager, and then walks away to find one. The lady in line then turns around with a smile and says "Sorry about the holdup, I'm cashing my paycheck." Why in holy hell do people feel the need to take their damn paycheck into friggin' Wal-Mart in the middle of the night on a Sunday?

Having formerly worked in that store, I know they do resets on the tills at midnight, therefore no cashier is going to have anywhere near enough money to cash a decent check.

So we went to the cig lane instead, since that one usually moves pretty quickly. We notice that the young couple in front of us has a puppy with them. A PUPPY. In the store. Where food is sold. Girl then places puppy in the shopping cart and I desperately hope that a yellow puddle doesn't magically appear on the floor. It's now their turn to be rung up, and they have some DVDs. New release DVDs. They claim to have gotten them from the $11 bin and don't like how they ring up at over $20. (Gee ) Cashier calls for a manager, who runs off to do a price check for them, with Stupid Guy behind him. We wait some more. I consider for a moment becoming an SC and just leaving my cart with its few items in a random isle on my way out the door, but seeing as I needed the stuff . . .

They come back, and the lovely couple decides that they don't want the DVDs if they cost that much, but the cashier still has to print out a few slips of what she's rung/voided and by this point, I think she was very confused from all the "Oh, then take it off/not that one, we want it, but take this other one here off" crap.

I'm normally not an impatient person when it comes to checkout lines, seeing as I spend 40 hours a week behind the counter myself, but I was near my boiling point by then, for the simple fact that the manager ignored the fact that there was a dog in the shopping cart and catered to their asshattery instead. And don't get me wrong, I'm a dog person, but I don't bring mine into the store with me!
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I've been known to bring the dog into stores (6-pound Chihuahua, mind you) but not where I know he's not allowed and not where there is food. (And if I get there and then find out he's not allowed I will leave and go back another time.) And I only do that when I happen to be transporting him for some other reason and need something that is on my way. (Except when I bring him to the bookstore but that's so he can visit my friends.) The only other store I have brought him into was Old Navy and I was only picking up a pair of pants and already knew what size I needed, so it wasn't like I was wandering all over the store and trying stuff on. And Petco, cuz I like to take him to get treats from the treat bar. But he's allowed there and the cashiers keep little treats at their counters to give to visiting dogs (which he won't eat until we get in the car and he gets settled in his seat cuz he's a brat like that)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

People who bring dogs into my store make me nutty.
      I don't care the size or breed, they're not allowed. Period.
      Unless it's a seeing eye dog leave it at home!

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Unless it's a seeing eye dog leave it at home!
        There are also seizure dogs, who are trained to take advantage of the way animals can sense such things before even the person about to go off can, and a few other types of legitimate service animal used by people who might otherwise not look like they need one.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
          I figure hey, it's nearly midnight, shouldn't be too awfully bad, should it?

Why in holy hell do people feel the need to take their damn paycheck into friggin' Wal-Mart in the middle of the night on a Sunday?
          There's your answer. If no one is there on Sunday nights, might as well cash their checks when it won't hurt the cashier too much. That's what we did at the pharmacy anyway. But we'd never do that with huge paychecks. No reason to cause a hold-up.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I used to have a customer who had a couple of dogs that looked after her as best they could when she had a narcolepsy fit. Every so often, she'd just fall asleep without warning.

Rapscallion

Comment

Service dogs are necessary and properly trained on how to behave around in public and in stress situations; pets are not.

I've had dogs, cats, rabbits and horses. I would never consider taking them anywhere other than to visit someone where they were welcome, the vet or on a planned trip where accommodations were arranged.

I'm going to back rerant: no dogs in the store, unless they're service dogs. I really don't care how cute or well-trained you think your pet is.

I also did not haul my kids anywhere unnecessarily when they were small, and certainly not to any situation where they were not invited.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Well, the dog in question was a 9 week old puppy. Puppies don't do the whole "Hey Mom/Dad, I have to go outside!" thing at that age. If they need to go, well . . . yellow happens And it was also in a shopping cart, with no blanket, licking the cart, walking and laying around in it. You know, where people put food

And just the fact that these asshats took DVDs that I'm sure they knew were new release and tried to claim they were in the cheapo bins, ugh. Happens all the time, as I used to work in this store. Irritates the crap out of me.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                  Well, the dog in question was a 9 week old puppy.
                  Not only does "yellow" happen at that age, but it's also clearly not a service dog. Those are much older than 9 weeks and very well trained.
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

When I worked at the mall I saw a customer walking around with a small kitten in her arms. While clothing shopping.

The poor thing was traumatized. Just because your pet is cute doesn't make it a fashion accessory!!
                    But I don't need a vagina. I have a pony.
                    -Gravekeeper

Comment

Service dogs are almost exclusively larger breeds, too - I've never heard of a service chihuahua, and especially not a toy chihuahua (Seriously, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to take a dog that is already small, underinsulated, and prone to bouts of nervousness, and exaggerate those features even further).

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
                        Seriously, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to take a dog that is already small, underinsulated, and prone to bouts of nervousness, and exaggerate those features even further.
                        The same person who thought a cat was a good fashion accessory?
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I wanna claim my cat as an apathy cat.

When I have an acute attack of apathy coming on, the cat doesn't care.

Comment

Quoth Max View Post
                            When I worked at the mall I saw a customer walking around with a small kitten in her arms. While clothing shopping.

The poor thing was traumatized. Just because your pet is cute doesn't make it a fashion accessory!!
                            I saw that one time, in a beauty store, this woman had a beautiful cat, on a leash, like a dog, sitting on one of the stools where you woudl sit for a makeover...and the staff had NO PROBLEM with it. um...it was not only bizarre, but completely inappropriate. It was full grown, and QUITE large. What if a child suddenly ran up to pet it, and it bit or scratched? Or someone who was HIGHLY allergic walked in? The cat wasn't traumatized, but it definitely did not belong in the store. Some people are just clueless!

Comment

Come to think of it, I've also seen someone put a Chihuahua puppy on a conveyor belt before. Again, I really, really love dogs (heck, we have five of them here at home), but this just makes me go

Comment

Working...
                              X