This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shabo View Post
    Woah, woah, woah. Hold the boat there. That is one super high maintenance dog. Yes, they are pretty, but I would reconsider since that breed sticks out quite sorely from the list. Border collies need a very busy life since they are super intelligent. They also need a super firm training schedule. I saw one couple ruin a nice dog because they were incapable of dealing with that dog's needs. They had to muzzle him every time he left the house after he turned 1 year old because he would bite people. He was not a bad dog, he just was in a really inappropriate home. The first time I met the dog and his owners, I said to a fellow associate after they left that the owners were not right for that breed. It was really sad watching him slowly deteriorate over the next 2 years. They were never mean to him, and they loved him dearly, but man, what a bad match.
    when i had a collie i had a larger family, and someone else to help with the maintence and we adopted a one who was a rescue from the pound, fairly trained and able to get enough attention and training to be ok.

For my own life i would never do a collie for my family life a collie was ok
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
      Woah, woah, woah. Hold the boat there. That is one super high maintenance dog. Yes, they are pretty, but I would reconsider since that breed sticks out quite sorely from the list. Border collies need a very busy life since they are super intelligent.
      Yes. I have known many dogs like that who don't get enough energy out or training, and then get in trouble for herding the neighbor kids. They're an intense dog and need someone very devoted to them and their needs.

Whenever I get out of this apartment, I'd like to get either an australian shepherd or a mini aussie. God, I love those dogs. Kind demeanors, happy, and pretty laid back, yet smart as a whip.

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
        I'm so glad you've started this thread! More people should know that certain breeds need specific things. And not to get a puppy for the sake of a puppy!
        And when you're ready for a dog, and know what your specific needs are in a dog (and what you can offer), buy a dog from one of the following:

* a well-run shelter that does temperament and health testing and does the best they can for their animals.
        (In this case, tell the shelter staff your list of needs/what you can offer, and let them guide you to which of their currently available dogs might be suitable. You'll get a mutt, more often than a purebreed, but I love my little mutt.)

* a breed-specific rescue for the breed/s you want.
        (You may get a cross-breed, you may get a 'purebred', you won't know the genetic history of your specific dog. Many of these temperament and health test, depending on the rescue's resources.)

* a breeder who does the research, knows what the genetic problems for the breed are, chooses studs and dams to minimise the genetic risks, gets the screenings done for the genetic problems, and has her dams under veterinary care for the pregnancy.
        (You'll get a dog with a low chance of the breed's main genetic problems, with a high probability of getting the temperament for the breed, with known family medical history.)
        Last edited by Seshat; 08-14-2007, 03:43 AM.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
        X