Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unrelated, but similar. I used to get into (unintentional) thumpa-thumpa wars with the girl in the apartment next to mine during senior year. The walls were shit--basically drywall over steel frame. Voices from her place didn't carry, but her death-metal did.

What finally did the trick?

The resident audiophile's uberspeakers against the shared interior wall, a set of earplugs, and a taiko CD. I could actually feel my desk vibrating.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      The resident audiophile's uberspeakers against the shared interior wall, a set of earplugs, and a taiko CD. I could actually feel my desk vibrating.
      Bah, you didn't have it up loud enough if it just vibrated.

A guy I know that's a huge audiophile built himself an ultra-high fidelity system that he can't ever turn up past 4 without things starting to rattle. The one time he got some earplugs and cranked it to full volume the furniture near the Sub-woofer started to 'walk' across the floor.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Well, those apartment units were known for being built by the lowest bidder, and I didn't want anything coming crashing down that wasn't supposed to. Had this war taken place in the dorms (cinderblock construction), I would have been tempted further.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

People keep telling me my Caliber has attitude (De la gueule, to use the literal term).
          so I decked the interior with Mickey Mouse accessories.

People keep telling me I'm cute.
          So I blare Wierd Al's "Trigger happy" or even "La petite Grenouille" at every stoplight.

(If any Quebecorkians in here, you'll know what "La petite Grenouille" is. I sing along to that one)

My Stereo can boom boom, but it doesn't need to do it at 2 AM.
          Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I used to get into Volume wars in college, and we did have the cinderblock walls.

My Gateway 2000 Altec Lansing speakers, blasting classic rock at half volume, tended to usually WIN vs boomboxes at FULL volume a floor and a few rooms away.

Sadly, they need repairs from a fall they took off my desk. They have metal grilles on front, so that part of it's fine, but their connectors need replacing because the speakers ended up hanging from them. They've been flaky since. New splice, when I can find the time, and they'll be good as new.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
              So I blare Wierd Al's "Trigger happy" or even "La petite Grenouille" at every stoplight.
              Is that "The little frog?" or is Babblefish acting up again?

Oh, and I've got a car that should practically have a windup key sticking out of the back window, but it's got a great (stock) sound system. Loud, good fidelity, and has good low-end without excessive Thump. Whenever I'm up near a group of Wiggers*, I like to pop in a mix of parody hip-hop that has mostly Weird Al (White & Nerdy, All About the Pentiums, Amish Paradise, etc) with a few others for filler, and crank it up to as high as I'm comfortable with. Always gets a good look from them since, while I'm pure Euro-mutt and drive an econo-box, I'm still Blacker than they are**, and my best friend, who I usually hang out with, is one of the seemingly 10 Black people in town.

*Wiggers are the closest we've got to gang-bangers around here. I'm not kidding. The 'ghetto' around here has less crime than the middle-class areas where I grew up.

**Most of my friends in K-12 were Black, as were most of the customers at Blockbuster job. Apparently I picked up up on enough of the style and attitude to get at least minimal credibility where it actually counts.
              Last edited by JustADude; 08-22-2007, 03:27 AM.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Strange Magic View Post
                Just what is the whole process for disinfecting your speakers after running that thru them...megasnicker
                After running what through them? Irish music?
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Speaking of home stereo wars, thanks to my brother and father, who upgrade their equipment constantly, I have plenty of high-quality, noisy audio equipment in my place. So when my neighbor decides to have an impromptu 80's dance party with herself in her apartment, listening to the worst dance music of the 80's and singing along (she's tone deaf, I must add), I simply turn up the metal/hardcore (KSE, Soilwork, Shadows Fall, Pantera, etc) music I have from college, and wait. It usually takes less than 5 minutes for her to give up.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I can usually end a car stereo war by blasting KMFDM, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, or Steve Vai . Same things for home stereo wars but of course it helps if you have a father who has a background in sound.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Working...
                    X