This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel clerk with insanely short-term memory

So my husband and I just got back from a few days in wine country. We had booked a suite at a nice inn in a small town. We got there too early for check-in, so we decided to tour the area and go on a few tasting tours at the local wineries.

Mid-afternoon finally rolls around, and its still about half an hour before official check-in, but I'm frankly a little sauced at this point and would like to lie down. So hubby and I walk into the the hotel lobby and politely ask if an early check-in is possible.

I was wearing a pink straw cowboy hat. There's no need to go into details about how I came to be in possession of this hat, or why I was wearing it. I will add that, in my inebriated state, I had attached several wine corks from little strings along the brim. The point to remember is: This was an incredibly ridiculous-looking hat.

So the woman at the front desk said the room wasn't ready yet, and it would be about 15 minutes. We chatted for several minutes and gave her all of our check-in information. She mentioned the hat. Finally, hubby and I stepped out to grab coffee while we were waiting.

We were gone about 15 minutes.

We came back, and this woman had no recollection of us whatsoever. Hubby said something like "Hi, we're back." And her response was, "Okay...I'm sorry, do you have reservations?" We gave her our info again, chatted again about the wineries we'd been to....like it was all happening to her for the first time.

She wasn't rude, but the whole thing was so weird it was eerie. How can you completely forget someone in 15 minutes? Or, as my husband put it, "How can anyone forget seeing that monstrosity on your head for even one merciful second in their lives?"

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

I have problem with names, like i remember faces and what happened etc but i cant remember names.
    Maybe he/she had something similar but other way around

Comment

If you get tired of the hat, may I have it? I like hats.
      Last edited by Becks; 08-16-2007, 10:14 PM.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Does more than one person wear a hat like that? Maybe that's a trend you didn't know about! LOL!
        Last edited by kibbles; 08-17-2007, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Or maybe she suffers from anterograde amnesia?
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Maybe you missed the Mad Hat Women Of America Parade by 15 minutes, and her mind was completely blown by so much insane millinery.

It sounds like a nice hat, though. I like hats too.
            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
            - Dave Barry

Comment

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
                Actually, I was totally sober when I bought the hat....

...oh, wait. You were talking about the clerk. Right.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                  Maybe you missed the Mad Hat Women
                  I was wondering what drove the Hatter mad...
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Mercury.

The phrase 'mad as a hatter' refers to the time when bowler hats were in vogue. Part of the process for making these involved mercury, which is a rather dubious substance to work with. Part of the side-effects was insanity.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Mercury.

The phrase 'mad as a hatter' refers to the time when bowler hats were in vogue.
                      Yup, I knew it was a particular chemical, and that it derived from the fact that hatmakers came into liberal contact with it. 'Twere a joke.
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

She may have had prosopagnosia, also known as face blindness. Basically, people who have it don't recognize faces, even of their own family and friends. But then she still probably would have been able to recognize the hat...

I think you should post pics of the hat
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've been in situations, especially when business was busy where I'd get scatterbrained and forget people. No big deal.

Comment

Maybe she has a twin that was working there also?

Comment

Working...
                            X