This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonalds Drive-Thru Soaking

On Sunday it rained. It was a fun all day rain that would taper off and then pound us.

Anyway, I was at work and decided to run to McDonalds on my lunch break. I get to the drive thru line and its a bit long, but I think nothing of it since it is pouring out and who wants to run outside in that for a burger?

So I finally get close enough to the order box, but the car infront of me doesn't have enough room to pull forward to allow me to get close to the box. I patiently wait...because what else could I do? Then this happens:

Woman Over Intercom: Thank you for stopping at McDonalds. What can I get you?

I'm still too far away to order, so I say nothing.

WOI: What can I get you?

Again...still too far away to order. I don't feel like poking my head out the window in the pouring rain to try and scream my order loud enough for her to hear. I say nothing.

WOI: Well, just let me know when you are ready.

Really...does she NOT notice the line of cars that start from the pay window?

Finally the car in front of me is able to move far enough up so that I can pull up to the order box.

ME: Hi! I will have a number 11 with a diet coke please.

Silence.

No voice comes over the intercom, no order pops up on the screen. Remember the rain? Yeah, at this point it is streaming into my open car window, soaking me in the process. I look in the review mirror and there is a line of cars behind me. I wait for a minute...still nothing.

Finally I get fed up and leave. If they got my order, I will never know. A coworker of mine went there later and said that their card machine was down...something that they didn't realize until she pointed it out to them (apparently all the other cards that had been ran before hers came up declined, but they were able to pay with cash. Since all she had was her card, and she knew that the money was there, she forced them to check the machine.)

By the way, th BK I got instead was a fast, dry and delicious experience!

That happens a lot here, too...

Fortunately, it hasn't happened in the rain yet, and every time I've been able to inch a little closer and yell out the window.

They must not watch the lines very well at all.....there was a time or two my car was a good 2 feet behind the speaker box.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Don't the drive-thrus have sensors that notify the order taker when a car reaches a certain point? My guess would be that since you weren't able to order at first, the order taker just figured that the sensor was set off by someone backing up, or pulling through, or something else. I won't pull up until I know my window will be by the speaker, although this means that I have had to ignore some honking behind me.

But if I couldn't get service, I'd definitely drive away.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
        So I finally get close enough to the order box, but the car infront of me doesn't have enough room to pull forward to allow me to get close to the box. I patiently wait...because what else could I do?
        This is my biggest pet peeve at drive-thrus. It seems I'm always stuck half a car-length back from the box when its my turn to order because some giant SUV's ass-end is taking up far too much space.

And then the order taker gets mad because they think you're ignoring them.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          Don't the drive-thrus have sensors that notify the order taker when a car reaches a certain point?
          Ours have sensors that make a loud DING DONG sound when a car sets it off. I don't know if all McD's have them. I believe some have cameras still but I might be wrong.
          My Wajas cave

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Don't the drive-thrus have sensors that notify the order taker when a car reaches a certain point?
            The Taco Bell up the highway from my apartment has a window that allows them to see the order box. It's kinda neat.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

My mind went right to "fire in the hole" from the title.
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                My mind went right to "fire in the hole" from the title.
                Er? *head tilt*
                *takes the phrase "Fire in the hole" and stuffs it in her purse of misused words, then finds a copy of "gutter" to replace it with, leaving a little card with a raccoon face on the front*
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
                  By the way, th BK I got instead was a fast, dry and delicious experience!
                  Which is weird, because most of my BK experiences have been cold, incorrect, and slightly revolting.
                  I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    Er? *head tilt*
                    *takes the phrase "Fire in the hole" and stuffs it in her purse of misused words, then finds a copy of "gutter" to replace it with, leaving a little card with a raccoon face on the front*
                    I think it's in reference to this. Apparently some assholes think its funny to go to drive thrus and chuck liquids at unsuspecting fast food workers.
                    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                      I think it's in reference to this. Apparently some assholes think its funny to go to drive thrus and chuck liquids at unsuspecting fast food workers.
                      That's what I thinking of, too.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                      X