X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless at the LYS

Local Yarn Store to the non-knitters.
    So my fave LYS is closing and they are now 60% off of everything. They emailed me on Tues that they got in “socks that rock” yarn - they won’t hold it for anyone and it will be full price so “call in sick and come and get it”. My fabulous boss lets me get off work early to dash over there. I have visions in my head that this yarn is the pattern kind and makes skull and crossbones or some such when you knit it up (a girl can dream can’t she?). I get there and nope - the stuff is $25 and just hand dyed variegated - pretty but I’m not making no $25 socks thank you very much.
    So I get to shopping and run into this very confused guy on his cell phone - obviously talking to the person who sent him in. He is reading off labels and trying valiantly to describe colors and he is getting more and more frustrated sounding until I hear “socks that what?”. I point him to the yarn bin and then hear “but they are $25 EACH!”. I finished my purchase and the poor guy was still standing there describing the color ways of each skein of yarn.
    I left conflicted between thinking about how sucktastic the person was that sent someone obviously out of their depth in to a store like that and jealous (I sent my SO to get one ball of yarn to make something he asked me to make when my leg was broken and you would have thought I asked him to get me tampons or something).

Quoth auntiem View Post
    (I sent my SO to get one ball of yarn to make something he asked me to make when my leg was broken and you would have thought I asked him to get me tampons or something).
    My husband will pick up tampons for me no problem. But he won't pick up women's magazines.

As he explains: "The clerk knows the tampons aren't for me. But he might think that the Vogue is."

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
      My husband will pick up tampons for me no problem. But he won't pick up women's magazines.

As he explains: "The clerk knows the tampons aren't for me. But he might think that the Vogue is."
      Exactly, I'll never understand why men don't want to purchase tampoons. The clerks know you don't have a vagina. They don't care that you're being nice and running erands for someone else.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

An ex of mine wasn't bothered by that errand because "it proved he had a woman at home".

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          well, if he buys them together they'll probably figure it out
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That poor guy...he must have had sticker shock from the cost of the yarn. My LYS has stuff that's even more expensive. (Noro Silk for $35/skein!!)

It's prices like that, that keep me from shopping at the LYS and make me shop for Red Heart yarn at WalMart and Hobby Lobby. (I crochet, crocheters seem to be willing to use just about anything to make stuff...knitters seem to like to use the more expensive stuff. I learned to knit last year, and now I've started to frequent the LYS more often)

Crochet and knitting can be expensive hobbies.

Comment

So what if a guy reads a woman's magazine? Maybe they'll learn a thing or two...lol.

Comment

I had to buy tampons a few times. I am not fazed by it. Also, I will hold a purse in the store, but just not walk around holding it.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                  So what if a guy reads a woman's magazine? Maybe they'll learn a thing or two...lol.
                  They're not likely to be things women want them to learn. Those things are even worse than the men's rags.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                    They're not likely to be things women want them to learn. Those things are even worse than the men's rags.
                    So, how would you know this?

Rapscallion

Comment

I've bought tampons before. But I made sure to bring the tab off the old box with me so I'd be getting exactly what she wanted.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        So, how would you know this?

Rapscallion
                        Probably same way I found out some disturbing stuff. Someone left it lying around, and eventually extreme boredom and morbid curiosity overcame self-preservation. *shudder*
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                          Oh, and on that note, those articles "From A Man's Perspective", "Written By A Real Guy", etc are TOTAL BULLCRAP.

I know this thanks to a friend who makes a living at freelance, who got made the same type of offer from 3 separate womens magazines. They basically either have one of their staff-writers do the article and the guy sign his name to it, or they have a detailed outline the guy has to follow, and they just keep going to male writers until they find one willing to play ball.

Having read some of that type of article in my fiancee's magazines, I can attest that their advice on men is marketed to what women want to hear, and any relation to the truth of the matter is pure coincidence.

Yes, that means I wasn't ashamed to be seen at the checkout browsing a copy of Cosmo with a pack of tampons and a brick of chocolate in my basket.
                          Last edited by JustADude; 08-26-2007, 08:17 AM.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                            Local Yarn Store to the non-knitters.
                            So my fave LYS is closing and they are now 60% off of everything. They emailed me on Tues that they got in “socks that rock” yarn - I get there and nope - the stuff is $25 and just hand dyed variegated - pretty but I’m not making no $25 socks thank you very much..
                            I have started knitting this year and am content w/craft store yarns although I know I'll eventually given in to the pull of the LYS. And to sock yarn. And yeah, I'm a little at the prices too but some of the hand-dyed ones out there are soooo pretty. That's why I'm not starting to knit socks yet - neither my skills nor my wallet are ready quite yet!

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                              That's why I'm not starting to knit socks yet - neither my skills nor my wallet are ready quite yet!
                              I've been practicing techniques for making socks with old scrap yarn. Knitting in the round, and trying to figure out how to do cables. I still cant figure out the cast on for toe-up socks. (think it's called the Figure 8 cast on)

The yarn store has some really really nice hand-dyed wool that's about $40 for a hank. If I'd won Powerball on saturday, I might have considered getting some. I just cant see making A sock that's worth $40 and I dont even think the hank is enough for an entire sock. So, I'd need at least four hanks to make a pair of socks...I'd never be able to wear any socks made from that yarn, because I'd be afraid to ruin them.

Comment

Working...
                              X