This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More MBTA asshattery

Gee, I might just need to start a perpetual thread for this weirdness.

I've noticed a tendency for people to board the train and then simply stand dumbly in front of the doors. Even if the car is more than half empty. I had to bodycheck a few twits with my bag today to get off at my stop. They saw me get up and move toward the front of the train...what do they do? Move in the precise position to block the doors. Fighting my way out during rush hour I can understand, but this...grrr.

Possibly related to the above, you get the people who take their sweet time boarding/unboarding (and also standing dumbly right in the door) which results in someone almost getting flattened by the closing doors. This subspecies is part of the reason why I will not try to jump on a train if I did not see it pull in.

Another family (locals wouldn't be this dumb...or would they?) tried to wrangle a full-size baby carriage onto the train during morning rush hour when it was packed to begin with. Granted, this was one of the newer cars where the center portion is approximately six feet wide, but the carriage was probably a hair less than that lengthwise. They wound up blocking not only the doors on both sides of the car at the same time, but also completely blocking the handicapped spots, meaning that if someone with a walker or wheelchair needed to board, they could not. Plus everyone standing anywhere near them got squished into the doors (which is Bad). I almost got my hand smashed in one of the door joints. Each time someone needed to disembark, they had to wait for the twits to maneuver the carriage completely out of the train, then the driver had to wait for them to get the thing back on (rinse and repeat until I finally managed to escape...I was waiting for the driver to just leave them on the platform at some point).

I must exude some kind of "I'm not here" aura. I had some lady try to practically sit on me on the Red Line. Hi, it's not like any of the seats--a third of which are empty--are not visible from the doors. You knew I was there. Don't glare at me when I give your butt a warning tap with my bag.

At all stations except one (Kenmore), the doors always open on the right side of the train. Prior to arrival at Kenmore station, it is announced that the doors open on the left. Yet for some reason I'll see people gravitate to the right side of the train, and start yelling at the driver when the right-side doors don't open (psst, look behind you...those doors are open, however be my guest if you wish to disembark onto the third rail). I've also seen people try to follow track workers on the train who get off in the middle of the tunnel (newsflash, does that look like a platform to you?).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-25-2007, 01:39 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    I've noticed a tendency for people to board the train and then simply stand dumbly in front of the doors. Even if the car is more than half empty. I had to bodycheck a few twits with my bag today to get off at my stop. They saw me get up and move toward the front of the train...what do they do? Move in the precise position to block the doors.

Possibly related to the above, you get the people who take their sweet time boarding/unboarding (and also standing dumbly right in the door) which results in someone almost getting flattened by the closing doors.
    I've got another subspecies like these for you. The people that, when they get to the top or bottom of the escalator, get off, and....stop. So that you're almost forced to run them over. They also do the same thing getting off elevators. And upon entering a store.

But, of course, you do know that they're the only people in the world, don't you?
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Aha, I knew those were related somehow....

It's a train. You obviously had to look at the route map on the platform to decide to go in the direction you are currently traveling. Some of the route maps in the cars are above the doors. Dunno, maybe they think the maps will vanish once the doors close?

(possibly for a reason related to the above, that may explain the ones who stop at the top/bottom of escalators, when the directory is about 10 feet in front of it)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        The people that, when they get to the top or bottom of the escalator, get off, and....stop.
        I HATE that. Getting off an escalator makes it physically impossible to wait patiently for someone at the bottom to move. I'm literally being forced to step off. MOVE people!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I rode the T daily with my daughter in a stroller at rush hour. I had a job to get to and a subsidized day care at the hospital I worked at.

Riding the T with a stroller is quite an art. I always found spot out of everyone's way (if possible, sometimes people wouldn't let us through, even after a polite request, and I had no choice but to stand in the doorway and move in and out as people moved on and off the train).

Then there's trying to stand/sit and keep the stroller from moving and my daughter from accidentally kicking people.

As I said, it usually worked out fine, but some days were just brutal and the open hostility from my fellow riders was the icing on the cake. Trust me. If I had a choice, I would have found another way to get to work.

I'm wondering why the T hasn't made the trains more stroller-friendly since then? Maybe have signs making the wheelchair space available to strollers if nobody with a chair needs them. Right now, I've noticed they fill up with standees who won't give up the space even to get a stroller out of everyone else's way.

But that would make sense and we all know it isn't allowed.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
            I'm wondering why the T hasn't made the trains more stroller-friendly since then?
            IME a normal stroller would be able to board and navigate a T train fine. I see it everyday, the problem is not the trains so much as the absolutely ridiculous "strollers" people are using. These things lately with inflatable tires, 15 different reclining positions, and 45 feet of storage space attached are the problem. People who use normal strollers can get down the center aisle, and even sit with the stroller and not block the whole train.

As far as the take one step on and stop people go, I just run right into them.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
              These things lately with inflatable tires, 15 different reclining positions, and 45 feet of storage space attached are the problem.
              Very true. Back when Kaye was a baby in the early 90s, the SUV stroller hadn't been invented yet.

She was in an umbrella stroller and I got on at Revere Beach (Blue line), so it was easy to go all the way to the end of the car and park out of everyone's way. I changed trains at State to get on the Orange line and went only a couple of stops. At State I entered on the left side and stayed; all the other stops until mine opened on the right, so wasn't blocking the door in use. Coming home I had to do the door dance, but I was quick!

One day on my way to the T to get to work, a wheel fell off the stroller. It was trash day in Revere, so I placed the stroller on a nearby trash pile and Kaye walked the rest of the way just fine. After that we never needed the damn stroller again. I couldn't have been happier.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I see fewer and fewer of the umbrella strollers, but they do still exist and I applaud the parents who know how to handle strollers on the T. I'm fine with those, but the jogging strollers, "fashion" strollers with cupholders and a hatchback-sized storage space, and full carriages...GAH (I'm still in mild disbelief that those people even attempted that). Especially combined with:

a) rush hour, so it's packed anyway,

b) the "it's all about my precious" clan who has no clue how to navigate a crowd with a stroller or think the crowd should magically vanish in their presence, and/or

c) parents who don't how how to/can't be bothered to lock the wheels (if the wheels can easily lock, most of the ones I've seen had little levers that you just step on), and then get pissy if it smacks into someone and they get snarled at.
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-25-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Slightly OT, but how about people with those SUV-sized strollers in the mall, or any store? Same attitude of entitlement, "my precious" is so important, so who cares if i block the aisle, or stop short, or take up ALL the room so no one can get around them. Hate them, hate them, hate them.

And elevators, what about people who rush in just as the door opens, without letting those already on GET OFF???? big fat pet peeve of mine.

Comment

The elevators problem is huge in Boston. I've noticed that the only place people wait to get on the elevator is in a hospital, where most people are in the biggest hurry. I've also discovered a certain reverence for the patient elevators (the ones that the public doesn't see and isn't allowed to use, since they're used by VERY sick patients all day who need to get places (surgery, ICU, ORL, up to their rooms even) very quickly and without contact with others.

The T issue, however, is not specific to Boston. New Yorkers are stereotypically very pushy, and they will rush onto the train en masse as soon as the doors open, regardless of who (or what) is in their way. They will then also stand directly in front of the doors, so that you have to push your way through the just-got-on-the-train crowd in order to get off.
                    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                      And elevators, what about people who rush in just as the door opens, without letting those already on GET OFF???? big fat pet peeve of mine.
                      Same on the T. I can deal with that dumbness if the door is level with the platform (Red, Blue, Orange lines and the center doors on the new Green Line cars), but when there are steps up into the car, it can get dangerous.

Comment

So I was on the T last night coming home (to Oak Grove, where my beloved car awaited me) when the guy was killed under the train on the orange line.

(Let me make this clear, I don't blame the employees or anyone for the situation, I understand that it was a freak thing. I'm just saying they had the worst way of handling it ever.)

I waited at (a very hot, very crowded) Downtown Crossing for what felt like an eternity (at least 50 minutes if not a full hour) before the employee told us we had to walk to Park to catch a bus. At that point, the train came. We boarded, and were told repeatedly that we'd all be let off at Haymarket. Alright, fine. The train (full perhaps beyond capacity) finally gets to Haymarket. Now, my friend S and I had packed ourselves in to make room... And the doors open for Haymarket and nobody. Moves. S and I basically angrily (and with colorful sailor language!) bodyslam out way through the asshats who are just standing there, blocking the damn doors. (To the amusement of several other passengers trying to escape the surrounding press.)

Long story short, they tell us they'll send buses around for us, and I got frustated and my mommy (yay mommy!) got worried about us... So she drove to the Mobil station between Haymarket and North Station and picked up S and I. Yay mommy. Boo public transit, boo sketchy orange line.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                          Slightly OT, but how about people with those SUV-sized strollers in the mall, or any store? Same attitude of entitlement, "my precious" is so important, so who cares if i block the aisle, or stop short, or take up ALL the room so no one can get around them. Hate them, hate them, hate them.
                          My sister always hated them too - because they took up too much space in her car, were difficult to bring into stores, etc.

So when she got pregnant, we went shopping for a small stroller. And we couldn't find one! They were all HUGE.

I'm wondering if recent changes in safety standards have something to do with it. The small little collapsible stroller my mom used to use for us was probably a deathtrap, in retrospect.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Updated again!

A crazy (likely homeless) lady was physically removed from my train...she gets on at Park St, plops a ratty, reeking-of-flowery-deodorant duffel bag down at one end of the car, then hotfoots it to the other end where she proceeds to engage in some sort of weird yoga-esque contortions. You're not supposed to leave anything unattended. The transit police boarded at the next stop; surprisingly, she left mainly under her own power without major incident. Not sure what happened to the bag after it was removed.

Some ghetto ratlings were giving me what they thought was the evil eye on the way home from work. Sigh. I thought the generally obnoxious creatures were repelled by cold weather?

Disembarking at Park St.--hooBOY. (I could swear they used to have PA announcements reminding people on the platform to wait for everyone to exit before trying to get on) I got shoved aside as I was exiting and came very close to falling between cars. It's not as if the platform was particularly crowded, either...I swear she walked into me on purpose.

Comment

i havent seen the SUV strollers in use but more and more ones that look like prams... not as bulky but ive seen the SUV ones. WHy???
                              I like the bucket prammy ones though
                              oh and umbrella strollers from strollers.com
                              http://www.strollers.com/csn-products-l595-c20501.html

these are the ones i like http://www.strollers.com/csn-products-l575-c20502.html notice still come in a smaller verison

another edit (i know for a woman with no children i have a high opinion of strollers...) these would be wonderful for travel in tight spaces http://www.strollermama.com/quinny-buzz.htm
                              Last edited by Sliceanddice; 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X