This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first SC story.

Well, nether were sucky, just both weren't smart.

My outdoor school camp singer. (He was the cool one that looked like a rock star, and would play gultar for us all the time).

He told he was at the bar one time, drinking when someone came up to the guy next to him, whom was smoking. "Hey man, I"m dying for a fag". The guy smokings eyes bulge out, as he stumbles away from the older gent with english accent. "WHat?!" he shouts. The world traveler again, pleeds "I need a fag! I''ll give you a dollar for a fag, just one quick fag, PLEEEEEASE!!". The smoker gets angry offended at this time, and proceeds to try to hit the poor older man, on grounds of being insulted. The camp consler had to intrivewn then, '"Dude, he's talking about ciggerrettes, he needs a smoke!".

So the enland man, the smoker, and the rocker start to talk and hang out. Few years later they all opened up a small little camping ground, and opened OutDoor School. Great way to meet.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

My freshman yr of collage I went to a religious based school . . .hey it was @ 4 hours from the parents and a great scholarship . . . you would have done it to.
    Anyway nothing against this form of faith . . . but in the south they have a reputation for being on the overly conservative side . . . no drinking ever . . .no dancing allowed, you get the idea. . . .
    anyway we had some students that were missionary (as in promoting the religion in other parts of the world and helping out in underpovished areas) and preachers kids from all over the world . . . one of them was from England. She looked at a group of us one day and said "I could really go for a fag right now" We all looked at her funny. It took a moment and she realized we didn't know what she ment. She explained herself - I started laughing . . . the other two girls I don't think they ever got over the shock.
    Needless to say - it interesting how something so innocent in one part of the world can have a totally different meaning in another part . . .even when the main bulk of vocabulary is the same to start with.

Comment

Sligthly OT, but another funny British/American english story. My parents have friends who came here from England probably in the late 60's; for his job, and were staying in a hotel until they could find a place to live.

So the wife, who is blond and very atttractive, says to the young, male, desk clerk "Can you knock me up at 7am tomorrow?" He looks at her, with this strange look on his face, and she repeats herself...he still looks clueless, so she says, "Can you give me a call at 7am tomorrow so I make sure I'm up?"

She wanted a WAKE-UP CALL, but from what I understand, in England, you ask to be "knocked up" when you want that. Once they got it figured out, they both started to laugh hysterically....

Comment

This is continuing the OT part of the thread, but I couldn't resist a chance to combine two of my favorite websites...

A Similar misunderstanding:

http://devilspanties.keenspot.com/d/20070626.html

and a different misunderstanding:

http://devilspanties.keenspot.com/d/20070615.html
        Last edited by mslisarose; 08-29-2007, 09:59 PM. Reason: Because I failed at HTML :(

Comment

Ah, DP.
          "I'm not going to make that many mistakes".

I heard something similar, it may have been on these very forums, but a British girl was trying to finish some big paper for college, and she made a mistake. So she runs frantically into a pharmacy, and says, "I need a rubber, quick!" The clerk raises an eyebrow and points her down an aisle. She comes back, and says, "There's nothing down there but condoms! I need a rubber!"
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

When I was in college some of my very best friends were exchange students from England. They always wanted "fags." Even though I was born and raised in L.A. I felt like such a bumpkin when I didn't know what they were talking about. I got over it. After a while my American friends and I were affect an English accent and ask each other for fags whenever we wanted a cigarette. Ah--good times!
            Do I dare
            Disturb the universe?
            In a minute there is time
            For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
              "There's nothing down there but condoms! I need a rubber!"
              Heard a story once, some people were teasing a British girl, they took her notebook and she screamed, "Give me back my bloody pad!"

Comment

Quoth Melxb View Post
                They always wanted "fags."
                Some of us have been known to ask for those deliberately. We know the effect it has on those in the colonies.

Actually, I could be letting out some trade secrets here, so I'll stop...

Rapscallion

Comment

In a reverse "OOOH" moment, John McEnroe was doing tennis commentary on TV, at Wimbledon, and the rotten weather had turned into a glorious sunny day, and there were 100s of seats available to anyone who rushed to get them from the ticket office.

So he said "Get your fannies on these seats".

Unfortunately, in the UK, the word fanny is slang for female genitalia...

John Lloyd (our clean cut English gentlemanly UK tennis number 1 who never won anything but did win a big prize by marrying Chris Evert) quickly told us "Mr McEnroe meant bottoms, Ladies and Gentlemen." I could just imagine McEnroe falling about laughing when they explained what he had said.
                  Last edited by Bagga; 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

My boyfriend is British (Surrey) so I get all the fun terminology... But I'll never forget the time we were at a full-serve gas station in the sticks, and he asked me how to open the bonnet for the attendant.... I got bonnet and boot confused and explained how to open the trunk... I did finally get my oil changed, but after much embarassment LOL

I tend to use British terminology when I'm with him, just because it's easier. My apartment is "our flat", the trunk is the boot, etc. I didn't know about the rubber one until I told him I had to buy my son some decent white erasers.... he said "what's an eraser?" I said you know, to erase pencil marks, and he said, "Oh! a rubber!".... errr... what?

The one thing he says all the time that I find just so hilariously quintessentially British... if I say something and he agrees with it, he just says, "well, quite!" *snicker* I love that!
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      The one thing he says all the time that I find just so hilariously quintessentially British... if I say something and he agrees with it, he just says, "well, quite!" *snicker* I love that!
                      Definitely.

Just please tell me he doesn't actually say "Pip-Pip" "Cheerio!" or "Spot on"... I think my sinckerer would break from the strain.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth tollbaby
                        I tend to use British terminology when I'm with him, just because it's easier. My apartment is "our flat", the trunk is the boot, etc.
                        A toque is a hat. A chesterfield is a couch and it IS pronounced "zed", not ZEE, ZED!

Er...<cough>

I think the funniest thing a friend of mine ( Who's in the British military ) ever said was when he referred to a woman as a "blackbox"....he had to explain that one. <cough>
                        Last edited by Gravekeeper; 08-31-2007, 10:36 AM.

Comment

My mom had friends from Belfast visiting last year, and we all trooped over to her boss' place in Cambridge while she watered the flowers and sent us on our way (I was the designated tour guide for Harvard Square that day, and we figured since I know the Red Line like the back of my hand, it would be easier to take that two stops than drive in).

One of them carries a huge purse, and my mom asked as she was walking us down to the lobby: "Would you like a fanny pack?"

Two seconds of dead silence, then en masse.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                            I think the funniest thing a friend of mine ( Who's in the British military ) ever said was when he referred to a woman as a "blackbox"....he had to explain that one. <cough>
                            I've never heard that one. Please explain.
                            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                              Definitely.

Just please tell me he doesn't actually say "Pip-Pip" "Cheerio!" or "Spot on"... I think my sinckerer would break from the strain.
                              No... he does say things like "that's not on" for something that's not right, or "indeed" to agree with things, but that's about it
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X