X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Voice and Religion Do Not a Good Time Make

This Labor Day:
    Eating a nice Chinese buffet, in a good sized room. Older Man ( OM ) and his wife and daughter? are eating about five feet away when my parents and me sit down.

Up comes Neighbor Lady (NL) and they started talking, when suddenly all everyone in the room (and nearby buffet) could hear was this booming bass voiced OM, which caused his audience to get just as loud.

OM: SO how's is that new preacher going? Is it true it a woman?
    NL: Well yes, and you know some people hate a woman being there, but she isn't a Pastor.. she is only preaching. God help us all if she tried to teach the real Bible and pastor us all.

(See: Thesaurus. Preach = Pastor = Teach)

So they go on about how its not the same thing, and how she would get run out of church if she tried. Then the whole crew went on about how they'd do it.

THEN they gossip about the waitress. Poor girl just doing her job got downed for being foreign in the USA.

THEN!!! we had to hear about someone's yeast infection and how they got it, how the nasty person just needs God.

AND THEN I had to get another plate. On my way past, I (was pissed and) yelled," SHUT THE GOD DAMN UP."

....My dad laughed.

On my way back, NL was walking away, but stoppe when I got close. She was waving her hands as she talked, and almost smacked my head. THEN almost knocked my plate full of rice from my hands.

I glared at her, and open my mouth and hissed.

I try to be nice, but after 30minutes of their banter, I couldn't take it anymore.

LOL!!!! Did you actually hiss? LOL!! I love it! What was her reaction?

Comment

What?! A...a woman pastor?! Say it ain't so!

My parents' old pastor was a woman, I used to work with a woman who was in Seminary and was a student pastor (or however it works) at my old church, and one of my college friend's sister is a minister at a church out near where we went to school. She is also performing my friend's wedding ceremony next weekend.

(she is threatening to make it a really short ceremony so we can move on to the clambake reception when we were at the shower back in May she was asking us all, "So, are you coming to the clamba- I mean, wedding? )
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Whoops...this is one of those threads that starts out innocent enough, but can turn sour very quickly.
        Just a quick nip in the bud before it starts:

Please do not take this thread and turn it into a rant about hypocrisy of Christians, or bashing of organized religion, or whether women should be allowed to become ministers or even priests.

The people in the restaurant were behaving suckily as customers, plain and simple and the topic of their conversation is only a side issue.
        It was the fact that the whole restaurant could hear the conversation, moreso than what that conversation was.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

ITA Ree, I'm more interested in if there was actual hissing and how the Sucky Lady reacted to said hissing, LOL!

Comment

Yes! I bared my teeth, and rolled out air in a fast, hissing sound. NL backed away and left the room quietly lol

It was just how provocatively they were speaking, in such a loud manner is why it was mentioned... about the lady pastor. I meant no disrespect or anything to be brought up in a bad way.

Comment

That reminds me of the time my wife and I were in Burger King, and had to hear some old and loud racist couple going on and on about how "those Mexicans ain't no good", and "you can't trust those blacks either!"

My wife was quite annoyed, even though she's neither of the above mentioned groups, but is Puerto Rican and has had to deal with racist assholes before. In fact, two of those happened to be the parents of a white guy who she was very in love with, and was very much in love with her. She said they even offered her money if she'd break up with him. The ended up breaking up because she couldn't deal with his parents. He ended up marrying a "nice white girl", like his parents wanted. Too bad she had a drug problem, and ended up getting pregnant, and running him into the ground both psychologically and financially.

There was also one black girl working there, and I'm sure she wasn't too happy. Too bad she couldn't have kicked them out.

I don't know what shocks me more -- the fact that there are still people like that in this day and age, or that they have no reservations about letting the whole world know what idiots they are.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth unholypet View Post
                This Labor Day:

THEN!!! we had to hear about someone's yeast infection and how they got it,
                Wow they had some nerve talking about that while people are eating (I'm wondering if anyone lost their appetite after that) and for just talking loudly in a public setting, really they are adults so they should know better not to use their outside voice inside. I'm sorry that's just yucky to hear and way too much infomation.
                Last edited by rdp78; 09-04-2007, 01:15 AM. Reason: added something
                Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                My space
                Facebook

Comment

I wish my mother could have been there whilst they bashed female pastors. She could have given them all a run for their money.

Please do not tell me that they actually talked about a YEAST infection while people were eating? GROSS.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

The title reminded me of the book Flatland.
                    The part where the King of Lineland calls A. Square a "Bass-voiced monstrosity".
                    You'd have to read the thing to get it.
                    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I meant no disrespect or anything to be brought up in a bad way.
                      Oh, yes, I know that.

The caution was meant more for those who might take the thread off in the wrong direction, and was not intended for you.

To clarify a point, though, I said it was more about the fact that everyone could hear the conversation, rather than what it was about, but I do have to say, a 'yeast infection' discussion ranks right up there with pretty damn tasteless and inconsiderate.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Yes! I bared my teeth, and rolled out air in a fast, hissing sound. NL backed away and left the room quietly lol
                        Now if only you could've gotten your hair to stand on end...
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Hissing is awesome!!

If it works for Baby, to scare people away, then it works for me to!

I hiss at people in traffic constantly. When I catch older men staring at me, I hiss at them. I hiss at machines at work. I hiss at Baby. I hiss at my boyfriend.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                            I do have to say, a 'yeast infection' discussion ranks right up there with pretty damn tasteless and inconsiderate.
                            If it's not too horrible a pun, let me just say "Amen to that!"
                            Last edited by Ree; 09-04-2007, 11:06 AM.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

oh EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW
                              there are some things that shouldn't be discussed in a plublic place - and a yeast infection is one of them.
                              Good on you for telling them to shut up! I wonder, tho, could you have complained to management and had them kicked out???
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X