This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Fructose Corn Syrup

Okay this one happend today. I went to Meijer to return some cans (and thus make myself an easy $10. And on my way out I wanted to grab one of those new Mountain Dew game feuls (the Halo 3 Dew). Unfortunatly all I could initially find was a 2 liter, that didn't have a price tag on it or in the area.

As I walk to a u-scan this woman sees me carrying this thing and our conversation goes like this.

SL: Some lady
    Me: Thirsty McGamer man

SL: You know that's bad for you.

Me: What?

SL: pointing at my 2 liter, That stuff has High fructose corn syrup in it. Artificial food coloring. It's bad for you.

I just roll my eyes and am unable to dish out any wit of real merit so I just say

Me: Yeah, well we're all gonna die some day.

<What I should have said> 1. Mind ye business lady! 2. Yeah, well the preservitives in your food are just as bad. 3. It was either this or I take up smoking, and I'd rather have a lower sperm count (too much Dew can do this, or so they say) than shitty lungs.

SL: But you're young, you don't need to be drinking that.

At this point I just decide to go hunt down a 20 oz. But Come on. I'm 19 years old. I think I can properly dictate what goes into my body. I mean how could that woman have the audacity to comment on what I was about to buy.
    Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

I would have liked to have said, "Oh! Thanks for the advice, Doctor...?"

Comment

Funny thing is, I'm the one who is going to college for nursing. And I think it was my phramacology professor who said "Mountain Dew is the worst thing for you", but they also said that "anything in moderation is okay for you".
      Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

Comment

Quoth solidmetalgear19 View Post
        Me: What?
        My stock answer (smokey treat, sugar, meat, whatever).

Me: So's talking to strangers about their personal habits.

Last edited by sms001; 09-05-2007, 12:28 AM.

Comment

sms001's response reminded me of Ree's joke:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=14726

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Why won't my boyfriend drink Mt. Dew

I'd tell her to get bent. Gotta love those personal doctors out there. You're just going about your business and all of a sudden you've got some nutjob telling you "All that sugar is gonna give you diabetes!" or "That redmeat is going to give you cancer!" blah blah blah blah blah

Just like the guy at the DMV when I was switching titles to my cars. Oh my GOD. This guy was harrassing all the smokers. I wanted to punch him in the face.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Had a similar experience today before work. I was getting a 64oz cup of the diet En-O-Gee drink my local gas-station has on tap as a pick-me-up since I didn't get quite enough sleep last night. To top it off, he has 3 of the large (24oz) NOS energy drinks in his arms.

JAD: You know him! You lov-... er... Okay, You know him! It's JustADude
              HF: Health Fanatic

JAD: *grabs cup and starts filling Cavernous Cup of Dooooom.*
              HF: Your heart's gonna give out if you drink that much sugar all the time.
              JAD: Aaand that's why I'm getting the sugar-free version!
              HF: You still shouldn't be drinking so much at once. There's still all sorts of stimulants and calories in there.
              JAD: {THINKING: Shoulda left it alone, pal.} Dude, what the hell makes you think I don't know at LEAST as much as you about this stuff? I know what this has per serving, what the safe doses are, AND how to do math... unlike you. Those NOSes have about the same amount of liquid, but you'll be downing enough juice to blow an artery, while I'll be just fine on the same dose as ONE of those bottles.
              HF: Uh... um...
              JAD: *walks off to pay*
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Ah, HFCS - one of the latest crazed in the healthy eating crowd. As soon as an allergy to HCFS (or was it an intolerance?) was proven, message boards were filled with people who had self-diagnosed themselves with that problem.

The minor fact that there have been no medically confirmed cases of adult-onset intolerance to this seemed to escape them, and none of them seemed aware that if it's not diagnosed and treated then the victim won't live past the age of three.

Other than that, it's yet another way of putting sugar into your body, and therefore should be treated with caution.

Rapscallion

Comment

People like that should keep their opinions to themselves.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    People like that should keep their opinions to themselves.
                    Oh, but don't you see, they're trying to help!!!

I had some ass-spelunker do that to me while buying smokey treats. Similar to little Johnny, I told him that minding his own business is conducive to longer life.
                    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                      Oh, but don't you see, they're trying to help!!!
                      Help me more, please, by leaving me alone.

Last I checked, 28 was old enough to be able to make my own choices.

Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X