This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to support PETA but.....

PETA gives us vegetarians and animal rights activists a bad name. I understand that they want to help animals but the way that some of their members go about doing things alienates the people who do want to help out but they then think that all animal rights activists are nut cases.

Those pamphlets of theirs are if anything, disturbing to be honest. I've also seen some that they had for children and quite frankly that's crossing the line too.

Also, does anyone remember that South Park episode where PETA "loves" the animals and a half-human half-duck?
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
      The look of horror on the guy's face was priceless.
      This is something I always find interesting. Whenever I've experienced, or heard about, these kinds of situations the person doing the haranguing or pamphlet-passing always ends up looking horrified that someone has spoken up for the opposing viewpoint They, much like that annoying subset of Christianity known as Bible-Thumpers, seem to have absolutely no concept that someone might not agree with their point of view once given their particular brand of "facts".

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
      Those pamphlets of theirs are if anything, disturbing to be honest. I've also seen some that they had for children and quite frankly that's crossing the line too.
      Exactly why I don't like them. I've got nothing against vegans or treating the animals I'm going to eat with respect and giving them a painless death, but there is no excuse for an organization with the unmitigated gall to try and say that animal-rights violations in a Slaughterhouse are comparable to the horrors perpetrated in Nazi Death-Camps. And yes, they did that. One of their campaigns was a montage putting pictures of inhumane animal treatment up next to pictures from the Holocaust.
      Last edited by JustADude; 09-08-2007, 05:55 AM. Reason: Removed Fratching-worthy content
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth tacohuman View Post
        we've had those people at my place of employment as well, passing out literature on how cruel foie gras is. the ridiculous thing is, we don't even sell foie gras. never have and likely never will.

it always makes me laugh to see them turn tail and run anytime anyone who looks like they even might be management start moving toward them.
        Way for them to stand by their beliefs in the face of management.

Seriously, though, I can respect other peoples' opinions as long, and only as long, as they respect mine.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
          I've got nothing against vegans ...
          In a way, I do have something against Vegans. Not all Vegans, mind you, just a lot of them, in my experience. They continually spread misinformation to bolster their cause. For example, one Vegan I chatted with online went on and one about alleged "abuses" at farms, and the more she said, the more it became clear that she had ever been anywhere near a farm in her life. She was merely regurgitating "facts" that she had been told by other Vegans. If even a third of what she claimed actually went on at farms, most farms in America would be shut down due to heinous violalions of animal cruelty laws.

If you (well, not you, but, well, you know) don't want to comsume amimal products, that's your choice. But, before you continue to spout off the Vegan propeganda, do a little research of your own and verify the info.

Comment

I'm a little on the fence about this. I mean, passing out pamphlets is one thing I could say "Fine, go ahead. I wish you luck." (very different from, say the paint throwing...), but when (like tacohuman's) they refuse to back that up even the slightest, obviously they don't believe very much in what they're "selling." Especially as in North America, I'm pretty sure that as long as they just handed out pamphlets and didn't actually stop people from trying to enter, they can stand out on the street where ever they want and hand out their stuff. Yet though they have every right to be there, they run at the slightest whiff of danger, and can't comprehend that others would feel differently (as JustADude said).

Honestly, I almost feel sorry for those people. Trying to do what they kinda sorta think is right, but no clue how to really go about it, and can't think that maybe someone will disagree or that will make their own position that much weaker.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
              does anyone remember that South Park episode where PETA "loves" the animals and a half-human half-duck?

I remember that episode and doesn't it end with Puff Daddy and his posse killing all the PETA members with the school changing the football teams name back to the South Park COWS?
              Last edited by Ree; 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Ah PETA, at it's core there's nothing wrong with them. Animals being treated well is a good thing.

I am not a vegetarian, but I am an animal lover, and I come from a long line of farmers. But PETA kills more animals than most ASPCA locations. And if I was handed a pamphlet I would ask that member about that. How can they support a cause that claims to love animals, but actually kills them and dumps their bodies in a dumpster. Or who has a leader who takes Insulin despite it being an animal byproduct. Please.

PM me if you want more info about that.

Comment

Anyone ever see this video? http://youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY It's Penn & Teller's Bullsh*t on PETA. It's really interesting. Warning: There is language.
                  --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Years back PETA or a similar group protested a dining hall meal that day - veal parmesan.

The response in one of the editorials in the school newspaper the next day?
                    "They thought it was REAL veal?" Seriously, with the other things that were served, it wasn't going to be the real stuff. lol

I respect anyone and their beliefs - as long as they can see reason and see where there are issues from the other side. In other words, they have researched their position and thought about it and while strong in their opinions, aren't closed-minded about it.

You can find issues for nearly any side of the debate. All of these new eco-friendly bamboo products? Hmmm, the pandas are starting to suffer because it's not all grown on plantations. And parts of the rainforest are being destroyed to plant more soy for tofu.

Nothing's perfect. So maybe you just decide what is the lesser evil for you personally, keeping in mind that your rights end where other people's rights begin (and the rights of the environment and such also).
                    But don't be a sheep and follow blindly. Even if lamb gyros are mighty tasty.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                      Ah PETA, at it's core there's nothing wrong with them. Animals being treated well is a good thing.

I am not a vegetarian, but I am an animal lover, and I come from a long line of farmers. But PETA kills more animals than most ASPCA locations. And if I was handed a pamphlet I would ask that member about that. How can they support a cause that claims to love animals, but actually kills them and dumps their bodies in a dumpster. Or who has a leader who takes Insulin despite it being an animal byproduct. Please.

PM me if you want more info about that.
                      Thanks I was wondering when that little bit of unpleasant dirt would be mentioned. Once when I was young and foolish (now I'm old and foolish) I was sympathetic to PeTA. Fortunately, I grew up.
                      Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I don't eat meat myself- except for chicken. Mmm... and hamburgers, and hot dogs, and turkey at christmas, oh, and bacon on sunday mornings. Yummy. Other than that, I'm a strict vegetarian. Oh, and KFC, can't leave that out. Does KFC count as meat? Oh, and my dad's barbecued ribs. To die for. I don't eat meat though. Really.
                        It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                        -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth tacohuman View Post
                          we've had those people at my place of employment as well, passing out literature on how cruel foie gras is. the ridiculous thing is, we don't even sell foie gras. never have and likely never will.
                          How is foie gras any crueller than any other kind of meat or meat by-product? It's liver pate...

CSR_Kim, I loved that episode!!! "so what are you guys protesting against?" "..... I'm not sure."
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            How is foie gras any crueller than any other kind of meat or meat by-product? It's liver pate...
                            Force-fed geese...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post

CSR_Kim, I loved that episode!!! "so what are you guys protesting against?" "..... I'm not sure."
                              They force feed the geese to obesity because it make the liver fatty, and fat tastes good.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

ah. see, I don't eat the stuff, so I had no reason to know that LOL I find that stuff gross beyond reckoning.
                                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                                X