Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them taste so good.

Comment

PETA would have damned me to hell for sure a couple months ago. Back then, I was only allowed to eat meat. And eggs.
      "But I don't want to be among mad people."
      You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

See, I have a couple of friends who are vegetarians, or at least pretty darn close to it, and I have no problem with them, and they have no problem with me, as a near-carnivore. I considered being vegetarian for a while, and tried to do it, but it's frankly just too expensive for me at the moment...meat costs less than vegetables!

When I was living with my brother and his wife, she brought home a handful of those "children's" brochures from PETA, which was called something like "Your mommy kills animals" or something like that and was full of cartoonish Cruella DeVille style adults skinning live...ferrets or weasels or something, while they screamed and then got tossed outside. And they showed supposedly real pictures of "live" minks that had been skinned and tossed outside without being killed off. ...because it's so easy to tell a photo is alive, right?

My sister-in-law brought them from her work, where they'd been left. She worked for a VET.
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I feel pretty similarly about PeTA as I do about religion. If you believe it, live it, and keep it to yourself/quitely promote while respecting others, I'm all for it. If you feel the need to run around, spouting off uninformed force-fed nonsense, and refuse to consider anyone else's point of view, I'm going to ignore you.

I have a degree in Zoology and Animal Behavior, I have spent over 500 hours working in shelters and animal hospitals, along with a year as a keeper in a zoo. I have a pretty firm grasp on how animals should be treated, and how they often are treated. You do not want to start an argument with me on the subject, unless you like being spanked by my logic. This is something one of my coworkers found out the hard way, after pestering me for opinions about the Vick circus.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

One of my best friends protests the Calgary Stampede every year... which shocked me, as she also ATTENDS the stampede. Turns out, to my surprise, she protests the RODEO bit, but not the stampede fairgrounds/exhibition show. Which is nice.

She's all for animal rights, and has vented about her fellow vegan nuts on occasion (including one who expected her to BIKE to work because of all the bugs she kills taking a car. ), and she invites me to various events for it, although she doesnt force it down my throat either. Its cool... we go to Boston Pizza, she gets a veggie with no cheese, and I get my meatlovers... happy as ever.

She surprised me a few months ago. Had scrambled eggs. I'm still figuring her out.

She makes DELICIOUS vegan cookies though.
            Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

The thing about Foie gras is that those animals typically live much better lives than other farm raised birds, up until the last 2-3 weeks before slaughter at when they are force fed.
              "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                One of my best friends protests the Calgary Stampede every year... which shocked me, as she also ATTENDS the stampede. Turns out, to my surprise, she protests the RODEO bit, but not the stampede fairgrounds/exhibition show. Which is nice.
                The rodeo? I could see it if they were bullfighting, or roman-style chariot racing. But the stampede? For what, the chuck wagon racing? Bronco busting? I suspect the bulls, if asked seriously about it, enjoy the competition just as much as the riders. "Hey, I got my rider off in 3.2 seconds... it took you what, 4.9? Whatta loser!" No, obviously the problem is the mutton busting. I'ld agree, too...

... if I thought that sheep had brains enough to care.

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                  The thing about Foie gras is that those animals typically live much better lives than other farm raised birds, up until the last 2-3 weeks before slaughter at when they are force fed.
                  True...I just can't get over the last 2-3 week, myself.

Comment

I can't get past the fact that it's made with liver, personally, so I don't eat it But I'll agree that it's cruel to manipulate animals in unhealthy ways to get a by-product you really want. (much as I abhor tail and ear clipping in dogs).
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                      I suspect the bulls, if asked seriously about it, enjoy the competition just as much as the riders. "Hey, I got my rider off in 3.2 seconds... it took you what, 4.9? Whatta loser!" No, obviously the problem is the mutton busting.
                      Except for one problem, Gurndigarn. The reason those bulls are so ornery because those straps the rider is hanging on to are tied to their cojones. Not something enjoyable unless every bull ever born is a masochist.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        Except for one problem, Gurndigarn. The reason those bulls are so ornery because those straps the rider is hanging on to are tied to their cojones. Not something enjoyable unless every bull ever born is a masochist.

My god...you just made me jump up in my chair and squeak at work. I did not know that. Now, how to explain to my co-workers...

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                          I'm assuming they're strapped on fairly firmly? Don't pull when the bull jumps? Because otherwise, even sheep aren't dumb enough to miss the cause-effect between jumping and having your balls ripped off.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                            I'm assuming they're strapped on fairly firmly? Don't pull when the bull jumps? Because otherwise, even sheep aren't dumb enough to miss the cause-effect between jumping and having your balls ripped off.
                            It is. If you watch a bull-riding contest closely, one of the things the rodeo clowns do is pull that strap off after the rider is thrown. Once that happens, the bull usually calms down immediately.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              It is. If you watch a bull-riding contest closely, one of the things the rodeo clowns do is pull that strap off after the rider is thrown. Once that happens, the bull usually calms down immediately.
                              OK. As you can imagine, I don't watch bull riding much. Never quite saw the point. Mutton busting, on the other hand, is quite cute. Though I don't watch it much, either, but that's mostly because I don't watch TV, and Calgary is a bit far for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X