This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to upset the pregnant lady..

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've got to get it off my chest because it made for a hell of a friday at work.

I now work in a call center for a company I think I'll call Pruphono. I'm still in training with a class of 10 people, and everyday I learn more about life insurance than I ever wanted to- but it's a good paycheck. I've worked for Target for the past 3 years (until I walked out after I moved to Wisc and decided my sanity was at risk) and 3 years of random mall retail before that. I guess I was hoping the customers would, in the long run, be worse than any of the employers/employees. Now I'm pretty sure i'm wrong.

Let me tell you why:

It's lunchtime. A couple of people from our class are sitting in the tiny breakroom having lunch, when another girl from class comes in and states

"My baby's dead"

Her girlfriend is pregnant and also works at the same site, and had gotten a fax from her Midwives at the hospital saying that her ambiotic fluid is dangerously low, and she needs to come into the hospital asap.

Emergency situation, right? No problem- you leave. Well, HR and her immediate supervisor (Ie, the guy who watches over/ helps the employees on her shift, which will also be my shift when I graduate class) said No, you can't leave. You'll get another instance (of unexcused absense, I think it was) and you will be fired if you get another one.

She was in hysterics.
    So, we told M, the non-preggers girlfriend, that that's bullshit and they can't keep you at work when there's a medical emergency (not to mention the fact that both she and the baby were at risk) we didn't really pay attention to the guy on the other side of the table, who was calmly eating his lunch.

This is where the awesome happens.
    He gets up and takes care of his dishes, and then walks up behind M and says to her "Don't worry about it, I'll handle it" and goes Poof while we're all sort of blinking in surprise.

As we're walking back to class we see Awesome guy (who works in Claims and has at least as much clout as Stupid Uninformed supervisor) taking M's girlfriend, Stupid, and the site manager, into a small interveiw room. Where I hear later that Awesome guy told M's girl that she could leave, and Stupid was wrong.

I've never in my entire life of retail seen someone take care of something so quickly.

So- who the hell tells their employees that they can't leave when they've gotten a fax from the hospital telling them to come in asap? It's like saying "I'm sorry you broke your arm on the copy machine, but you have to stay until the end of your shift or we'll fire you."

Grr. If he pulls that kind of shit when I'm working under him I'll stick a headset up his rear end and log him in to the client line. I'm really surprised he wasn't fired.
    I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. ~George Carlin.

I am sorry but I am confused.

when another girl from class comes in and states

"My baby's dead"

Her girlfriend is pregnant and also works at the same site, and had gotten a fax from her Midwives at the hospital saying that her ambiotic fluid is dangerously low, and she needs to come into the hospital asap.
    Who is pregnant or whose ambiotic fluid is low? Why did she say her baby's dead and what girlfriend?

Comment

The girl, who walked in, has a girlfriend who is pregnant. Or at least that's what I gathered from the OP.
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

So the girl and her "girlfriend" are romantically linked or are they just friends? I am just trying to make sense of this.

Comment

ok wow.... dude he told a pregnant woman not to leave for a medical emergency??? and she did rip out his spine???? I...

BAD MANAGER, BAD MANAGER!!!!

(People are evil)
          Last edited by Sliceanddice; 09-08-2007, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I've heard of instances at Wal-Mart where a few associates actually threw up in full view of the store manager only to have the store manager tell them this..."Just walk it off & you'll be ok. Get back to work in FIVE minutes".
            That'll be the day some idiot manager tells me I can't leave cause of a medical emergency. Life happens.

Comment

I hope the baby and the mom are ok.

And I also really really hope that this incident has been reported to HR. There was NO excuse for that Stupid manager to do that. And Awesome guy needs to have a great mark in his account that he did that for a coworker/employee.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                I've heard of instances at Wal-Mart where a few associates actually threw up in full view of the store manager only to have the store manager tell them this..."Just walk it off & you'll be ok. Get back to work in FIVE minutes".
                That'll be the day some idiot manager tells me I can't leave cause of a medical emergency. Life happens.
                When I was working at Walmart. I was on the cart crew. It was dead set in the middle of summer, and I was starting to a heat stroke. I went in and sat down for a a few minutes. The store manager came up and took me to the side. HE asked if I was ok. I told him, that I needed to leave right then. Ofcourse I told him what is wrong. He tells me, that I have to stay, or they would fire me. I needed that job, because my girlfriend at the time and I both thought, she was pregant. So I stayed. Stupid me. About 6 months later, I walked out.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

He didn't tell her she couldn't leave, nor physically restrain her, he simply told her it would have implications on her job. The girl in the break room was NOT the one with any sort of medical problem. From what is said, this is not her first time leaving work, and she is still in training. Not a good way to make a start. If this is a large insurance company, they have already cut her slack by letting her leave work previously, as most of them have a 0 absences during training policy. My company has a 6 month training program, and you are allowed to schedule one or two days off during training, but unscheduled absences are unacceptable, and you are told up front before you accept the job.

Sorry, but I don't see the huge trauma here.
                  The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

No job is worth the health of your baby! NONE!
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                      So the girl and her "girlfriend" are romantically linked or are they just friends? I am just trying to make sense of this.
                      Yes, they are seeing each other.

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                      I
                      And I also really really hope that this incident has been reported to HR.
                      I don't know if HR will do much because they also told N that she couldn't leave...but I'm pretty sure Awesome guy will have mentioned this to the site manager.

the 'previous absences' had all been doctor's visits, schedualed the correct time in advance. The pregnant girl wasn't in training anymore, and is 7 months pregnant. The fact that she was told to choose between her and her child's health, or her job, is what is wrong. In the case of a medical emergency OSHA says you cannot be fired for leaving. The girl in the breakroom is her significant other, and stayed at work (in training) even after N went to the hospital. I just couldn't beleive that this guy didn't know his office code well enough, and made the statements he did. They knew she was pregnant when they hired her and they have a policy, but he wasn't following it.
                      Last edited by Ree; 09-09-2007, 05:45 PM.
                      I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. ~George Carlin.

Comment

As near as I can figure out from the OP, a woman was pregnant, found out by fax at her work (stop me if I've wildly misunderstood the OP) that there was some great risk that had occurred with her ambiotic (sp?) fluid that had posed a danger to her pregnancy, and that she had to go to the hospital immediately. And that some supervisor told her that she could not leave, on pain of being fired. That's as near as I can figure it out from the OP - seems somewhat simple to me.

And the supervisor should have simply said, and I hypothetically quote, " I understand. You have a medical emergency. You may go. " End of story. The pregnant employee should simply have been allowed to go. End of story. Sometimes things happen with fluids and pregnancies (from what I understand) that can bring out medical emergencies. End of story.

If that was me, and if I was a woman, and I was not allowed to go? I would have probably destroyed the world.
                        Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
                        mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

it stills sounds illegal to me-
                          Woman in medical emergency.
                          She was missed work before but with prior well advanced warning.
                          Powers that be say 'You leave, you lose job'.
                          Other cowork had to have words with powers that be.
                          Hell powers that be dont deserve to be walking anymore

Someone get me my shotgun.
                          Last edited by Sliceanddice; 09-09-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

*Cha-CHINK*

Here, you can borrow my shotgun....I always keep a spare around
                            Last edited by Mr. Rude; 09-10-2007, 05:36 AM.
                            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

wanna join me?
                              im going manager hunting ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X