This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never had to fire a volunteer before this weekend

So, to make a long story short, when I'm not busy with my corporate job that pays my bills, I do a tremendous amount of work with a local indie theatre company and a local indie film company (we share a lot of personnel between the two) for free, as both are not for profit and run by friends of mine. This weekend, we hosted a film festival that I volunteered at, and I actually saw a volunteer get "fired."

B showed up on the first day of the fest, and I was informed while coordinating volunteers that she was not allowed to handle money, and should be kept to jobs with minimal social interaction. Turns out she has some issues and tends to frighten/annoy people off when she gets involved in conversation with them. I do my best, though she kept trying to wander into concessions, and eventually herded her in to watch the films.

After the screenings ended for the night, we headed off to the bar for the afterparty. As it turns out, B is only 20, but the bartenders were not carding, and no one was paying enough attention to B, so after being turned down when requesting numerous "new friends" by her a drink, she simply heads to the bar and buys her own. B proceeds to get trashed, freak out when a group near her starts laughing at something completely unrelated to her because she assumes they are laughing at her, and ends the evening by lying to and abusing the visiting filmmakers, convincing them no one else would take her home (I was among a number of people who actually had offered) and forcing them to take her home and drive her car home for her so her parents don't find out she was drunk.

Once our fearless leader heard the full story, he about had a heart attack, in part because we don't want our volunteers abusing the visiting filmmakers, and partially because it really makes us (and our venue/sponsors at the bar) look bad if we allow underage and irresponsible drinking. He, very thankfully, called her up and asked her not to return to the festival, much more calmly and politely than I would have been able to, and thankfully we did not see her again. But wow, what a night.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Wow, what an idiot.

oh, sorry to change the subject, but I LOVE your new avatar. It's beautiful.
    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Thank you. It's from Fables, it's a comic book/graphic novel series that makes me happy.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
      X