Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AT&T is putting parents in control - why weren't they in control to begin with?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T is putting parents in control - why weren't they in control to begin with?

Good question. Why weren't parents in control of their children's behavior of cellular phone usage and so on? Lately, AT&T made headlines when they announced that they are putting parents in control of how their children use their cellular phones, things like blocking text messaging when a certain limit is reached, or allowing only certain available minutes on a family plan to keep from using up the 10,000 minutes on their four phones.

Shouldn't parents be the ones to blame for why their children are out of control? Why is it when they buy their kids a cellular phone, it's the cellular phone company's fault, not the parents or kids, for running up a $1,000 plus bill? Why isn't it the kids' fault for having unlimited access to the phone, the internet, and text messaging?

I myself have kids, and for now, they are not old enough to have cellular phones. I do have other family members and friends with similar horror stories, and you would think these solutions would fix everything:

* Buy the kid a prepaid phone, and make sure a strong lecture is given on how limited its use will be.

* Do not have text messaging as a feature.....period, end of story! If they want to chat with their friends, have them use the landline phone.

* Only allow the kid to take the phone to school for emergencies only, like no ride home, missed the bus, had detention and needs a lift home, etc. Kids do not need to be on the same campus, within 300 feet of each other, yapping away when they could be in physical contact.

These are a few examples I can think of as to why parents should have been in control in the first place. AT&T made headlines on this most likely because it sends a message to parents that you need to stop blaming the phone company for your kids getting out of control of something you trust them with.
    Last edited by greensinestro; 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM.

AT&T?!?! You mean the SAME company that promotes youth texting by making their comercials in TXT? OMG INBD! TISNF!

Sorry, those commercials bug the living daylights out of me. And I agree, if the parents actally had control of their children, the phone company wouldn't have to do the policing of usage.
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

My company is getting ready to roll out this feature as well, but we are also promoting it for businesses. It's kind of sad when you give a phone to a grown man or woman who runs up text messages on their boss's bill, but it happens every day. This way, a boss can set it up so that the phones can only be used during business hours, no text or internet usage, etc.

I personally think it's a great idea from my standpoint. If you decline the feature and then your bill is outrageous due to misuse, whose fault is that? Plus, I don't know if AT&T does this, but if you block Billy's number on Johnny's phone and Johnny tries to call him anyways? Mom gets a free text message telling her so.

I think that text should say "JOHNNY IZ BAD. DISCIPLINE UR KIDZ"

Oh wait, that's more lolcat than txt, isn't it? Oh well

Comment

This stuff really does make me sad. Even though my father has worked for one of the companies that makes the phones (and made the pagers) for going on 35 years now, I did not have a phone until I was 16, and then, it was only because I could drive, in case of emergencies. And I knew that I better not abuse it, or I'd be paying for it out my own pocket.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
          Good question. Why weren't parents in control of their children's behavior of cellular phone usage and so on? Lately, AT&T made headlines when they announced that they are putting parents in control of how their children use their cellular phones, things like blocking text messaging when a certain limit is reached, or allowing only certain available minutes on a family plan to keep from using up the 10,000 minutes on their four phones.

These are a few examples I can think of as to why parents should have been in control in the first place. AT&T made headlines on this most likely because it sends a message to parents that you need to stop blaming the phone company for your kids getting out of control of something you trust them with.
          Things like this really annoy me, it's idiots who spend all the money they do and don't have on phones and do other stupid shit that makes the sane unable to do anything until they've been sitting on this rock doing nothing but twiddling our thumbs for 16/17/18/21 years, clearly I would be incapable of doing anything until I reach those ages.

Might be slightly offtopic, but GAH! >.<
          Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
          Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
            This stuff really does make me sad. Even though my father has worked for one of the companies that makes the phones (and made the pagers) for going on 35 years now, I did not have a phone until I was 16, and then, it was only because I could drive, in case of emergencies. And I knew that I better not abuse it, or I'd be paying for it out my own pocket.
            That's about when Dingbat (the youngest sister) got her first cellphone, but it was on Dad's account.

Then, she had gotten one upgrade, then screwed around with that phone and somehow burned out the SIM card year before last.

What does Dingbat do at the store? She's given two options:

1) she can get a new chip for $40

2) for $10 more, she can upgrade to a new phone (requiring a 2 year contract.)

She chose option 2 . . . upgraded to a new phone and my dad ended up with another 2 year contract (and he was already off contract but was shopping around in the meantime in case either their carrier came out with a plan better suited for them or a competitor did.) How she did that, I don't know.

Needless to say, Dad was not happy . . . neither was Stepdrac. It's a wonder I didnt get a call saying Dad was in jail and Dingbat at the funeral home.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
              AT&T?!?! You mean the SAME company that promotes youth texting by making their comercials in TXT? OMG INBD! TISNF!

Sorry, those commercials bug the living daylights out of me. And I agree, if the parents actally had control of their children, the phone company wouldn't have to do the policing of usage.
              IDK MY BFF ROSE.
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                IDK MY BFF JILL.
                Corrected. God I hate the fact that I know that.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

The "ROSE" one is from a new commercial where Grandma is texting.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

NO NO MORE!!!!!!!1111eleventy!!!

Comment

My older son has a Firefly. I love it, but it would be cheaper to add him to our family plan, even with the additional monthly charge for the parental control item. He makes very few calls, usually it's me calling him.

AT&T was offering Firefly phones, but apparently have stopped in favor of collecting money every month instead of giving away a free phone. That has me thoroughly ticked off, as I wanted one for my younger son.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                        She chose option 2 . . . upgraded to a new phone and my dad ended up with another 2 year contract (and he was already off contract but was shopping around in the meantime in case either their carrier came out with a plan better suited for them or a competitor did.) How she did that, I don't know.
                        Whoa. That's not cool. My mom, sister, and I all share a plan (looooong before family plans became common we got ours). When I need a new phone*** it only extends MY part of the contract. So I could have to stay with CellCompany for 2 more years but my mom and sister, if their parts have been fulfiled, can go elsewhere. Of course, since I'd be stuck with a plan that I couldn't afford then, I'd be not very happy. We do like CellCompany so that shouldn't be an issue in the near future.

***I've gotten a new phone twice. Neither were technically upgrades. The first time, the battery on my first phone died. To buy a new battery would have cost only $10 less than a new phone that I could buy though my current work and get a $50 gift certificate. hmmmmm. Second new phone was when the hinge of my flip phone (#2) cracked clean apart. So I'm definitely not one of the "serial upgraders" that some people are!

Comment

Parents should already have been in control. I know for sure, when my contract is up in 2009, I am going to get a pre-paid. I don't use it much. Maybe 20-30 minutes a month. I just wish I could find a plain old simple cell phone. I just need to send and receive, not anything else.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

This is why I love my little monochrome green-and-black screen Tracfone. A $20, 60 minute card every three months...or, if it's a REALLY slow three months, a $10, 30 minute one.

Not too many ways you can screw that one up.
                            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I have been looking at Tracfone. Not bad for a phone. I had them before, but I got a free phone with cingular. I need to go back to tracfone
                              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                              X