This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isolation

I have this problem as well. Where I live, it appears as though there are nothing but stereotypical small towns full of "redneck" people.

As stated in the last post, the reason this is so is because people in this town are very isolated. They have lived here literally their entire lives for generations! I'm from Pennsylvania originally, and the state has a VERY aged population. In fact, PA is 2nd in the whole country for older population behind Florida from what I understand. Their older generations of their families moved here way back at the turn of the 20th century from some Eastern European Communist Bloc country, settled here, and have lived here ever since for generations. Not only that, they rarely ever go beyond a 100 mile radius, EVER! Sure, they may have served overseas in the military, and they probably go on vacation to Ocean City or Myrtle Beach ever year or so, but beyond that, they stay put.

Also, PA is VERY rural between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. In fact, some people joke that PA resembles Kentucky or Alabama in between the two major metro cities.

Thus, due to isolation and never hardly leaving and seeing the world, many PA small towns reinforce the small town stereotype. I have a friend who up until a couple of years ago lived in a small town, WAY off the beaten path trailer park. This trailer park was WAY out in the woods and almost impossible to find the first time around at least partly due to the fact there was absolutely NO signage pointing it out whatsoever in the woods! And when you DID find it, you wish you hadn't. Dilapidated trailers, a polluted lake, yards full of trash, complete with the rusted out shells of broken down vehicles, residents that looked like they got off the set of Jerry Springer or Maury Povich, the whole nine yards. I remember getting stared at incessantly as Blas mentioned in her post the first time or two, and when I mentioned it to my friend, he said "Well, yeah! Everytime a new car comes in here, the people are all wondering who it is, seeing as how this place is so far back in the boonies and not too many people even know about it!" His wife told me that her friends would no longer visit her out there because it was so depressing and nasty(their word, not mine!).

I agree that we shouldn't generalize and say that all small town folk are automatically Deliverance hillbillies that are totally out of touch with the modern world. I feel that JustADude hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the isolation that occurs in some of these small towns. These isolated folks, I think, tend to think that their little small town is the center of the World and Universe all rolled into one. IMHO, that is when you get the racism, narrow-mindedness, etc.. IT really IS important that people get out and see what's out there and expand their horizons. Being from PA, I feel that is why most young people anymore leave as soon as their schooling is over and done with. That, along with PA's unfortunately dismal economy!
    I'm Schizophrenic, and So Am I!

Comment

I don't think it's so much as to "see the world" that people leave PA. I think it's more because the job market (at least in Pittsburgh) sucks, and the taxes are too damn high.

Rural PA has many isolated areas. Some of it is because when the interstates were built, they bypassed many former bustling towns. Other areas simply survived because they were close to the mills or coal mines. As those industries declined, many of the smaller towns did as well. Eventually, many of those areas became ghost towns. Then there's the "Walmart" mentality. That is, if you can get whatever you need there, why leave for the next (bigger) town?

Grafton, WV is like that. There's very little in downtown Grafton--a few newly-opened stores, but not much else. Most of the buildings are abandoned and falling apart. The town itself has the river and CSX's railroad yard on one side, and a massive hill (covered with houses) on the other. Not a bad little town, but it really is in the middle of nowhere--if Route 119 is blocked because of snow, you're SOL. Quite a few other towns down that way are like that.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        I don't think it's so much as to "see the world" that people leave PA. I think it's more because the job market (at least in Pittsburgh) sucks.
        Michigan has been like that too as of late, and seeing as the Big Three are suffering many are fleeing Michigan. I might end up in Chicago if my transfer goes through for job reasons. The market is getting worse and worse. On the plus side, houses are extremely cheap.

I could rant on about Detroit but that's a Fratching topic.
        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

My relatives live in Dallas, SD pop. 200, not including wild turkeys and deer. It is an adventure to go to the family reunion there every year. Dallas has made into the Guiness Book of World Records because it has the only water tower situated in the middle of a US Highway.

Tiny town life is interesting, not my idea of fun, but interesting.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
            Dallas has made into the Guiness Book of World Records because it has the only water tower situated in the middle of a US Highway.

That can't be especially...safe, can it?
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I was perusing Facebook earlier and found a group related to my hometown. It's called "You know you grew up in ******* if......"

One of the "you knows" was "You know you grew up in ******* when tourists and new students would ask you why a town of 8,000 people needs 2 water towers"
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Spiffy: Given that all the locals grew up around it its only unsafe to the outsiders who come in and dont pay attention to whats going on.

I mean I grew up with a few of the backroads not having guardrails with a 20'+ drop off into the hollar on the side there. The one bridge on the way to an old girlfriend of mine was just flat slabs of poured concrete on poured pillars over a creek that was about 8' deep on one side of the bridge and 3' deep on the other.

Of course there where a couple roads that didnt have bridges they only had fords where the rocks where only 6 inches below the water. And if it rained you didnt go that way.

Its only unsafe if you dont pay attention to it.
                Last edited by Rahmota; 09-25-2007, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X