X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Protein

Warning! Not for the weak of stomach!

You were warned.

This happened when I was about five or six, I don't really remember exactly, but it sure did stick in my head.

My parents took me out to Denny's for a meal - it was a late lunch I think - and all I remember was that I. Wanted. A. Strawberry. Waffle. You know the kind, smothered with strawberries and whipped cream. Mmm.

So, I get my waffle, and I'm about halfway through it... when I notice something that's not waffle or strawberry, and it's actually IN the middle of the waffle. As in, cooked into the waffle, not on top or underneath. And it looked like I had already cut into it, which probably meant I had eaten part of whatever it was.

I look closely, being a child at the time it took me a couple minutes to manipulate my fork to get the thing out of the waffle and look at it. I ended up only getting a portion of it out, and realization and utter horror dawn on me as I see a green-specked black carapace and a wing of some type of beetle. Er, PORTION of beetle... that... I had already eaten part of... !

The words out of my mouth... ".... moooomm..." *cue almost-tears and turning green at the horror of my despoiled strawberry waffle* "THERE'S A BUG IN MY WAFFLE!!!"

To shorten the rest of the story, my mom tried to make me laugh by telling me that she was SURE I hadn't ordered the extra protein version, though she told me in later years that it was because she was trying to prevent me from either bursting into wailing or throwing up, because it looked like I was about to do both. I couldn't help but giggle, I was a kid and my mom was teasing me about eating bugs! But I distinctly remember wanting to cry or throw up or both.

The manager kindly made me another whole waffle hot and fresh, and I picked that sucker apart into centimeter portions before I ate any of it.. but it was good. And we only paid the price of one meal for all three. (The manager was insisting that we got it all for free, but my Dad insisted on paying SOME because it was only my meal that was faulty, and I got a full replacement anyway.

I still get faintly queasy when I think about it, but I have to laugh, even if it was just because of my mom's handling of the situation.

EDIT: (Not quite sure if it's the right board, sorry if it's not, but it was sucky to go through, and it COULD have gone so much worse if we hadn't had a good manager at that time!)
    Last edited by ShadedWings; 09-24-2007, 04:16 AM.
    Confirmed altoholic.

Wow! What a great manager!

I understand. A long time ago when I was a little Kerrisan (younger, not much shorter ), we went to this really great BBQ restaurant in Fort Worth. I got a BBQ sammich. When I bit into my BBQ goodness on bread I noticed a texture that shouldn't have been there . . . apparently the fat from the meat had liquefied while cooking but hadn't dripped off the meat and merely re-solidified on the bottom in circular discs . . . I nearly threw up and refused to eat the rest.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

When I was younger, my family and I was eating at a UJ's Truck Stop. I was eating my salad, when all of a sudden I found half of a fly in it. I told my parents, which in turned told the manager. She brought out the bill, and she didn't have my meal or the salad on there. My parents offered to pay for it, but the manager would not have any of it. She said it was because we was so good about it and not complained.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

My bf found a long nappy black hair in his burger the other day, just like Morgan Spurlock found in his parfait.......

So gross...so gross........he threw it away and contemplated purging until I talked him out of it.

Sigh...
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sorry, that would put me off waffles for quite some time...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Years ago we went to Mount Rushmore for vacation (this was the time I saw the hooker under the sign reading "Mount Rushmore: 20 miles", with a sign of her own: "Mount Brenda: 20 bucks" ).

Our hotel for this particular night was in Rapid City, SD. We ate dinner at a Hardees and mom ordered a hot dog.

She bit into the hot dog, and chomped on a metal wire embedded inside the hot dog.

Damaged her crown and left her in a fair amount of pain for the rest of our vacation, it did.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You know those cellophane wrappers that are wrapped around packs of cigarettes?

I found one of those in a Hardees roast beef sandwich once. Never went to that Hardees again.

I was willing to chalk it up to an employee taking a smoke break, opening a new pack, and the cellophane sticking around. It IS really sticky stuff....but still, no excuse for that.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Whe I was a kid, I used to get my mum to cut the crusts off my bread. God thing I did, becaue once when she cut it off, she uncovered what looked very much like a cockroach's leg. She reported it to whatever the food health authority is over here, and sent them the bag of bread, and that's the last I know of it.

Comment

Yep, my mind's in the sewers. When I read that title, I thought about a... *ahem* "different" type of 'extra protein'.

All in all, I'm glad it was a beetle and not what my twisted subconscious was thinking you'd bitten into.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

When I saw "extra protein" and "gross", I too thought of something completely different. The manager rocked, but your parents rocked too! It was cool your dad insisted on paying something.
                    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I got a burger at Chilis once, and bit into one of those big metal staples they use on cardboard boxes. The manager was an ass about it, looking at me like I was lying about it, even though I was there with my mom and two of her friends. But they gave me a new burger.

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                        When I saw "extra protein" and "gross", I too thought of something completely different. The manager rocked, but your parents rocked too! It was cool your dad insisted on paying something.
                        I'm sure the manager would be happy just not to get sued. The cost of three meals is worth absorbing if it prevents a lawsuit.

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                          When I saw "extra protein" and "gross", I too thought of something completely different.
                          Me too. I was starting to get curious how it had gotten inside the waffle so that it was noticeable.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                            Yep, my mind's in the sewers. When I read that title, I thought about a... *ahem* "different" type of 'extra protein'.
                            No comment.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post

All in all, I'm glad it was a beetle and not what my twisted subconscious was thinking you'd bitten into.
                              You read my mind....

Comment

Working...
                              X