Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A story from my manager (long -- lots of history)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A story from my manager (long -- lots of history)

My manager returned from the bank the other day with a story about one of our regular SCs named "Carla." Sorry about the long history, but as you will see it all fits together.

The story on Carla..... where to begin on this piece of work.....

The State of Tennessee recently passed the Responsible Vendor Act which means that we are required to see ID on all alcohol sales regardless of age. For a short time, the state considered extending that restriction to all age-restricted sales. The bottom line is that any age-restricted sale -- alcohol, tobacco, lottery, ephedrine -- would require an ID to complete the transaction regardless of age. In keeping with that idea, our company decided for a short-time to require ID on all age-restricted sales.

So, Carla was the supreme queen of the entitlement whores when this policy was first put into practice. Shortly afterward, she happened to lose her driver's license. She was unable to get a replacement from the DMV for some mysterious reason (she never explained, and we never asked). The end result was that no one could sell her cigarettes per policy, and it became a big drama each time. She always went into temper tantrums about how she was so stressed out because she was a single mother of four kids, and none of their fathers paid child support. Yes, I imagine that would be stressful, but still the rule applies -- no ID, no cigarettes, no exceptions. Each time, she would call in a complaint to the manager and the office on whichever clerk refused the sale. I lost count of how many confrontations I had with Carla over the ID issue.

Then, there was the time that Carla had a pack of cigarettes she wanted to exchange, but they had a tax stamp for a neighboring state. We couldn't trade them. She'd sent someone else in to make the trade for her. I explained to this woman that I couldn't accept them because they are tax-stamped for another state. That woman was nice enough about it. Then, Carla came in with the same pack of cigarettes, and said her friend got them for her but they were the wrong kind. I already knew before I checked the stamp what was coming. So, I checked the stamp, and told her that I couldn't trade the cigarettes. She started ranting about how I sold her the wrong pack of cigarettes, and that it would make no sense for her to buy cigarettes she won't smoke. Of course, I agreed that it wouldn't make sense, but neither does her argument. After all, her ID had been "lost" for months by that time, so I wouldn't have sold HER cigarettes. It's unlikely her friend bought them from us given that they were tax-stamped from another state, and our cigarette inventory is checked regularly for compliance. Carla called the office to complain on me about that incident, but they ignored it. The manager even told me that several other customers called in on my behalf over that particular incident.

Another time, I was stuck in the position of breaking up an argument between Carla and another clerk. The other clerk, named "Emmy," was a grandmotherly type of sweet old lady, but she didn't take crap off anyone. If you were rude and obnoxious toward Emmy, she was equally firm about setting you straight. I was working in the cooler on that particular day, enjoying the break from customers. That's when I heard the dreaded voice of Carla yelling my name. She said Emmy was getting an attitude with her. Carla should know about getting an attitude. She's the queen of the entitlement whores. I didn't question Emmy about any of it because I figured that Carla probably had thrown one of her signature temper tantrums, and Emmy had enough before it went too far. Whatever had happened before Carla came back to the coolers, Emmy was refusing to wait on her. There were several other customers in the store, but they stayed in the background. I signed on to my register and rang up Carla's stuff. She kept making comments about Emmy's attitude. Emmy let loose on her, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. Carla started smarting off again, and followed up with "See, I told you!" They started shouting at each other. I finally had enough of the argument. I told Emmy that I know that she didn't provoke it, but let it go as a favor to me. She did. I told Carla to shut up about it or get out. She did. She finally left. After she left, I asked Emmy about her side of the story. She calmly told me, and the customers who had witnessed the whole thing told me what they saw. I asked them if I could take the names and numbers just in case. They gave their info. Carla called in to complain on Emmy, but the office ignored it. A couple of days later, the human resource manager stopped in on her usual coffee run because she lived nearby. I asked her about it, and she told me the office wasn't taking Carla seriously. They decided that she had most likely provoked Emmy, and that we handled it the best way we could.

The funny part is that afterward, I noticed that Carla was less antagonistic toward me. She was sure to mention Emmy's "rotten attitude," though. I just told her that I don't want to hear it. "Take your stuff and leave."

Now, for the rest of the story....

The manager spotted Carla at the bank the other day. Carla was giving one of the tellers a bunch of grief over something. Another teller opened her window, and the manager stepped down there. The second teller made a comment that none of the other tellers will deal with Carla any longer because of her tantrums. The manager shared some insights about Carla from our store.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
    I asked her about it, and she told me the office wasn't taking Carla seriously. They decided that she had most likely provoked Emmy, and that we handled it the best way we could.
    So, like, are you ever going to ban her from the store? From the sounds of it, that might make everyone's life a little easier.

Comment

We have a customer too, one of many, who is rude, nasty, entitled, you name it. I had a run in with her my first month at the store. Our return policy is, or used to be, is without a receipt, you get the price it rings up for. Problem is, with our sale items, we mark the tickets in the store, but if you order online, the stuff from the warehouse is NOT marked down. Our current policy, which i DO NOT agree with, is, return with no receipt gets back what is on the ticket. Which if its full price is not a problem. But say someone is returning an time that's on second or third markdown, no receipt, but ordered online. Ticket has full price...see where I'm going with this? They get full price back, whether or not they paid it and we have no way of checking...

We also have the ability to call customer service, if the customer used their store charge. So this woman comes in, with a return, full price ticket, but i know full well we are on third markdown. So i do as i've been told, and try and call CS. But since its sale time, i am on hold, and customer has a major hissy fit. I finally go to the mananger, she tells me, sorry, call CS, and then customer wants to SEE the manager...who comes out, and basically gives in and gives her full price refund.

So she's in the other night, and couple of the ladies tell me she was in the preivous weekend, and bitching up a storm that no one was available to give her their undivided attention, and "well, i could take my business elsewhere" - PLEASE DO! all associates were either helping customers, or ringing...

So the next day I'm working, and another lady tells me that this customer goes to the same salon for her hair and nails she does, and had called while she (associate) was there. Associate mentions "oh, she shops at X all the time" and the salon people asked if she was PITA, because apparently she is at the salon as well!

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
        So, like, are you ever going to ban her from the store? From the sounds of it, that might make everyone's life a little easier.
        If it was my decision to make, she would have been banned long ago. She doesn't come in as much as she did. I think she finally got the point that clerks like me aren't afraid of SCs who think they can bully and push to get their way. I'm not the pushy type, and I don't tolerate bullies very well. It usually doesn't take much before I start planning my best strategy for fighting back.

What I think is funny is that Carla was at the bank of all places throwing this little temper tantrum witnessed by my manager. The last few times she tried to pay with a check at the store, it was declined by the Telecheck machine. She kept insisting that there was money in the account, but the error code would seem to indicate that she has outstanding bad checks on that account. Of course, I was professional enough not to blurt out the denial reason code, but I was sure as hell laughing on the inside. I just handed her the rejection slip with the Telecheck customer service number to call for details. Maybe I'm sadistic, but I find it funny that karma seems to have bitten her hard lately. In any case, if Telecheck declines a check, I have no choice but to refuse it and insist on another form of payment.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

This woman should be banned. She has been nasty and abusive to employees and refuses to follow STATE MANDATED rules as to the purchasing of products. I guess the company wants her money so bad they won't ban her. I hate that. Glad to hear you don't suffer from her much anymore though.

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
            The State of Tennessee recently passed the Responsible Vendor Act which means that we are required to see ID on all alcohol sales regardless of age. For a short time, the state considered extending that restriction to all age-restricted sales.
            Sounds more like the "We need to justify our paychecks and want to piss off as many people as possible" Act. How freaking stupid is it to ask someone old enough to be your grandma for ID? The "Under 30" thing I can understand. But this is getting exessive. It's alcohol and tobacco, not weapons grade plutonium. All the smart kids just have a friend buy it for them anyway.
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

threadjack, heh.
              sorry, but this just reminded me of a stupid co-worker who was refusing to sell a guy a lotto ticket because she thought he was underage. she showed me his id, and i had to teach her that the issue-date for the liscence (2003) isnt the same thing as the birthday (1984)

...stupid old bitty.
              Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

That happened to me just days after my 18th birthday. Went to a store to get smokes, and the old hens behind the counter stared at my ID over and over and kept clucking amongst themselves, "1987......1987.......how old is that?".

There is a calendar at just about every store that you rip off every day that says "If you were born after today's date in ****, you are not old enough to purchase tobaccco" or whatever.

Dumb old bitties. They hassled me for what seemed to be forever. Yes, I know, time is going fast. Yes, it's hard to believe every year, more and more kids turn 18. Now give me my fucking cigarettes so I can leave.

At the gas station I was so good about knowing my dates and whatnot that I never had to worry about accusing someone of being underage or getting my dates mixed up. I really don't see how hard it is.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

With our system, you just type the birthdate into the register. If they're old enough, it will complete the sale. If they're not old enough, it will deny the sale. Of course, I can do the math without the register.

All things considered, I look at such laws from the point of view that I'm there to work and get paid for it. I don't need a bunch of hassles over issues that are beyond my control, and I won't put up with it. I just wish the jerks who threaten to take their business elsewhere when they don't get their way would follow through on that threat, but they still show up like illness.

Comment

Working...
                  X