Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You need to have menu items for diabetics!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need to have menu items for diabetics!

So this bagel shop opens nearby, and I stop in there for a bagel sandwich for lunch and to check the place out. Nice enough store, friendly staff... I spend some time studying the menu, place my order, and sit down to wait for my toasted bagel sandwich.

A few minutes later, this lady in a beige coat and silk scarf comes into the shop and spends only a few moments looking at the menu before arguing with the guy at the counter that they need to have menu items for diabetics, because if they did that, she would bring her friends in to socialize. But she's diabetic so she can't eat anything off the regular menu.

The guy behind the counter was polite (I think he might have been one of the owners), but this lady kept going on and on about how the shop needed to have menu items for diabetics.

Umm... bagel shop? As in, they sell bread-type stuff? Not exactly the kind of place that would cater to diabetics in the first place...

Anyway, I get served, eat my lunch, and about 10 minutes after she showed up, she leaves. But still... That's like going into a cattle-country steakhouse and insisting that they have a vegetarian section of the menu. Why not just pick a place that actually serves what you want?

oh wow... theres entitlement and theres entitlement....

Good god!!!
    I love how you compare it to a cattle-country steakhouse, though that wouldnt be too weird, because most of those places would have salads 'for the little lady' but a small bagel shop... that is trying to cater to the general public and not every specic group....
    lol thats just funny

Comment

Hm. Bagel shop and insulin problems. I'd look for a wholegrain bagel, and load it with protein and vegetables.

So if they have wholegrain bagels and can put any meat, cheese, or bean/lentil topping on it, they DO have things for diabetics.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
        Why not just pick a place that actually serves what you want?
        Because, oh wonderful but naive TheSnakeLady, that would make sense, and (say it with me now) "If it makes sense, it's not allowed".
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Hm. Bagel shop and insulin problems. I'd look for a wholegrain bagel, and load it with protein and vegetables.
          Yeah, that would make sense too... especially since they did have rye and wheat type bagels (I'm sure something there was whole grain, they looked handmade)... But I guess she was some sort of special diabetic that couldn't have carbs at all...?

I don't get it... She can't have been looking to replace her hangout at the shop that was there before the bagel shop -- that was an icecream and coffee parlor (not exactly diabetic-friendly there either)...

And yeah, I know, steakhouses have salads and whatnot, but imagine if someone insisted they serve tofuburgers or something... I dunno.

Comment

Yeah, that would make sense too... especially since they did have rye and wheat type bagels (I'm sure something there was whole grain, they looked handmade)... But I guess she was some sort of special diabetic that couldn't have carbs at all...?
            There are a lot of different ways that the insulin system can go wrong. Someone with the commonest types of insulin problems can manage by maintaining a low glycaemic index in their diet.

I've just learned about reactive hypoglycaemia*. People with that shouldn't have basically-carb foods at all: grains, potatoes and such. Their carb intake should be limited to veggies. (Fruits are mostly out - too sugary.)

If she has that, why the hell is she in a bagel shop at all?

* which I'll be discussing with my doctor, it fits my symptom set better. But it's a stricter diet - bleargh. Play the for me, guys.
            On the other hand, if I have it and stick to its diet, then after a really HORRIBLE adjustment period, I should be healthier - and finally be able to lose this fat!
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Raises hand (and meter) to reply: Why am I never there to mock this kind of stupid? My reaction after would be "well Lady it's called SELF CONTROL. You really ought to try it sometime." There is no way to make a bagel less of a carb fest: you can eat 1/2 the bagel and save the rest for later on though.

Comment

Why not just pick a place that actually serves what you want?
                Because as the Almighty Customer, you have the right to go into any restaurant or any store and demand that they change their entire business plan for you personally.

I got a lot of this when I worked at a restaurant. "Why don't you serve beer?" "Why don't you have fries?"

Because we're a coffee shop, that's why. And if you don't like it, no one's forcing you to eat here.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

good lord. I'm diabetic, and I eat bagels. Often, in fact. I give myself a choice between a bagel and a baked potato every few days, depending on my craving. Did she want a bagel that was specifically labeled "Diabetic-friendly"? Ain't gonna happen, lady.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                    "If it makes sense, it's not allowed".
                    You forgot a couple of somethings. ™®©
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Thats just silly. I'm diabetic, my dads diabetic, my mom was just diagnosed within the last year, and my SIL is diabetic (we are all type 2). You know what you can eat, you know what you can't eat. Do you cheat from time to time, hell yeah. But going into a bagal shop and bitching about it not being diabetic friendly (also diabetic friendly is different for type one versus type two) is like going into basken robins or coldstone and gripping about being lactose intolerant (yeah I'm sure they have options, but you get the picture). Chances are she was just diagnosed as being diabetic and hasn't accepted it yet and is still in the victim/whoa is me stage.
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                        Chances are she was just diagnosed as being diabetic and hasn't accepted it yet and is still in the victim/whoa is me stage.
                        Or she's not diabetic at all but decided she was going to campaign for "diabetic rights" and raise a snit. That happens a lot, too.
                        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                          Or she's not diabetic at all but decided she was going to campaign for "diabetic rights" and raise a snit. That happens a lot, too.
                          Oh I HATE people like that! They are the assclownus maximii that question every fucking bite one puts in ones mouth (and are the reason yours truly does NOT inform people of her condition). A or is the only answer.

Comment

Working...
                          X