This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket suck

My mom and I were in the supermarket, buying stuff. We were waiting in line and there were some people in line ahead of us with a little girl about 2 or 3. While they were waiting they gave the girl a bag with 4 candies in it to keep her quiet. Anyway, by the time they came up to the register there was only one candy left in the bag. These people actually tried to get away with paying for just the one candy. The girl told them she couldn't do that because she needed to charge them for all of the candies. The guy actually said "but she ate all the other candies!" So if she eats the candies they don't have to pay for them? In the end, the cashier took the candy and the people left without paying for any of them. I think someone should have gone and gotten 3 of those candies and weighed them with the 4th one and charged them, and then just given them the one. Why should their kid eat 3 candies and nobody pays for them?
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Oh my wow. Reminds me of a grocery store story.

I had a couple with a small child, they gave the kid a banana, and then at the checkout, presented me the banana peel and said "Ring us up for one banana". Um, no. Bananas are charged per pound. I just rang up the peel by its weight and suffered the loss.

People did it constantly with apples, grapes, oranges, bananas........

That's what those toddler treats are for. They go in the diaper bag. Hell, even a ziplock bag of Cheerios or something. Something you already brought from HOME.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

If I were ever to give my children something at the store to eat to distract them, it would either be food I brought from home, or food with an accompanying barcode (not per-pound food) so that I know I'm not cheating the store.

But then, I'm just honest like that.

I've had customers come up with half-eaten grapes or apples and ask me to ring them up. I usually find something else of equivalent weight and weigh that too. Or weigh the banana peel but rest part of my hand on the scale.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

im begining to think that per pound items should have a per piece eaten before purchase price as well.

(Example- Bananas- 75 cents a pound. Eat Two while you shop? get charged 10 cents per peel. Candy 2 ducks a pound. Eat 4 while you shop? I don't know arent those candys like half an ounce so.... 7 cents per piece?)

Comment

Damn, by that logic, I'm just gonna start eating all my meals at the supermarket! Then I won't have to pay for anything!

Does that work in restaurants, too?

-Here's your check, I'll take it whenever you're ready.

-What? I have to pay for my meal? But I already ate it!!!
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            -What? I have to pay for my meal? But I already ate it!!!
            I think there are SCs that have already tried that.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If I get the half eaten apple/banana/pear/etc, I just force the parents to wait while the supervisor goes and gets another one for me to weigh. The supervisors also will go find the largest fruit they can possibly find. XD
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                Why should their kid eat 3 candies and nobody pays for them?
                Someone did pay for them. First the store owners from the manufacturer, and then..... you. And me. And Lace Neil Singer up above me there. And everyone else who shops in a grocery.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Damn, by that logic, I'm just gonna start eating all my meals at the supermarket! Then I won't have
                There's Dude making his White Russian in one, and another film (whose name escapes me) opens with the protagonist calmly walking the aisles and assembling a sandwich from their cart

In the real world, my old deli counter's scale was within a long arm's reach of customers. The number of times I was tempted to collect fingers...... they would reach up to the pile that I was weighing and take a handful off the top and stuff it in their greedy maws! Not just stealing, unsanitary stealing!
                Last edited by sms001; 10-11-2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I think I've read other stories where people think they don't have to pay for something they've eaten. I have no idea where that logic comes from.
                  It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                  -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    If I get the half eaten apple/banana/pear/etc, I just force the parents to wait while the supervisor goes and gets another one for me to weigh. The supervisors also will go find the largest fruit they can possibly find. XD
                    I would ask the supervisors to keep the biggest specimens handy, for such occasions.

Oh, and hope a bigger one comes in every day or so.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I always want them to buy a freak fruit show apple/banana/pear and keep it in the freezer for such a situation.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                      X