Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that words on signs should be kept simple so everyone can understand. I lovelovelove words, obscure words, long words, scientific words and will use them whenever I can. I think using serendipitous instead of lucky sounds beautiful and vibrant. In eighth grade a fellow classmate made fun of me because I said "I suppose" instead of "I guess" and I promised myself I would never become like that kid. Language is an art form, it's music and history all rolled into one, and obscure words, or long words, while inappropriate to use on signs, should be celebrated.

Comment

I prefer to utilize a plethora of less common words.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        I prefer to utilize a plethora of less common words.

^-.-^
        Whereas I tend to employ myriad words not found in the common lexicon
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth LizaMarie View Post
          Language is an art form, it's music and history all rolled into one, and obscure words, or long words, while inappropriate to use on signs, should be celebrated.
          Do you mind if I use that quote in my signature? It was beautiful. Sniff.

Comment

for some reason I am now having flash backs of studying for my SAT.
            (Test used to additonally judge a person for collage entrance . . . of course those that suffer from test anxiety don't benefit)

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
              I'm afraid I wouldn't understand "espitating" - dictionary.com doesn't know it either .

I expect (hah!) the sign actually said "expectorating".
              Quoth greensinestro View Post
              The word espitating goes back to when I was in the high school marching band. By my senior year, I was in the leadership program, and we would have meetings with conversations on subjects like this, mainly with our band director in charge of them. I can't recall much of what else I learned, except for him talking about a sign with this word on it.
              I'm thinking it said "expectorating" as well. "Espitating" isn't an actual word. In fact, if you Google it, all you get are the posts here!
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

My fave word ever is "antidisestablishmentarianism." However, there's precious few places I can use that word in.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Personally, I'm very fond of "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis ."

Comment

That was namechecked on The Simpsons once!
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
                      Personally, I'm very fond of "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis ."
                      haha, the Scared Weird Little Guys wrote a song about that. Googling it brings up the time I mentioned it in my livejournal.

Comment

My word is used in Blackadder, which is, not surprisingly, where I got it from. XD I'll be back before you can say Antidisestablishmentarianism!

And that other word: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grampa_...ual_Inadequacy That's the episode; can't really remember the actual quote.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          Just put up signs that say "NO".

Becks, you know that even that is too confusing.
                          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                            Becks, you know that even that is too confusing.
                            I know, but I have a few seconds every month or so when I'm optimistic.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                            X