This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel for this poor guy

That guy being the TV reporter for the local paper. Every Friday he has a Q&A section that includes some of the wacky phone calls he gets during the week like this gem:

PHONE CALL OF THE WEEK

An elderly caller wanted to know an address for Fox News Channel, which I was happy to give her, but I also let her know all the network addresses are available online.

"I don't believe in computers," she said. "That's a lazy man's way of doing things."

Take that, Bill Gates, you lazy so-and-so!

(Actually, I thought she said "lady's man" not "lazy man's," but my co-workers suggested "lazy man's" makes more sense, and it probably does, but both are funny.)

And why did she want to write to FNC?

"Those anchor women should not cross their legs when sitting on stools," she said. "It doesn't leave much to the imagination. I'm a senior and I just don't like it."

He finds it hilarious, but I can never figure out where this sense of entitlement in old folks comes from. Yes, I respect my elders but the whole "I don't like the way things are so I expect you to change them because I'm old" thing just drives me nuts.

Also, I'm willing to admit I'm in an anti-old folks frame of mind since my company is starting to move analog channels to digital (requiring a box) which always results in howls of protest from the blue hairs. Doesn't matter that we're giving the people who had channels move a box free for one year, they're still upset because something changed and now they need to adapt. I get variations on the "I'm a senior and I just don't like it" line all the time and I just want to scream SO F'ING WHAT? BEING OLD DOESN'T MAKE YOU EXEMPT FROM THE ONWARD MARCH OF PROGRESS.....pant........pant............*whew*

Man, I haven't been this happy to see a Friday for a while. I need to invest in some barley-and-hops based pain reliever.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Playing the 's advocate here -

I don't like it when the newswomen cross their legs on stools. Heck, I don't like it when non-newswomen cross their legs on stools! It shows everything and depending on what they're wearing, I do mean everything!

I would write to the network about it also. Crossing your ankles or just keeping your knees together and feet demurely entangled with the stool rungs is much better for all around. (Trust me - I'm short and when I'm on stools, I don't cross my legs, I do everything in my power to keep myself balanced so I don't fall off the darn thing).

Comment

To quote Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy

No sir, I don't like it.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*snort* fox news.... what an oxymoron
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
          *snort* fox news.... what an oxymoron
          That's why it's properly referred to as "Faux News."
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Why does everything have to turn into a political discussion? Give it a rest people! That means YOU, on both sides of the political spectrum. (Just so people don't think I'm just picking on 1 group over another).
            I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
              Why does everything have to turn into a political discussion? Give it a rest people! That means YOU, on both sides of the political spectrum. (Just so people don't think I'm just picking on 1 group over another).
              We're in election mode over here, and one radio show refused to report on anything to do with it. Until they thought they caught one of the candidates picking his ear and eating the earwax.

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post

I've provided a separate forum for such discussions - www.fratching.com - we try to drop a hint in every thread that needs it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                  I get variations on the "I'm a senior and I just don't like it" line all the time and I just want to scream SO F'ING WHAT? BEING OLD DOESN'T MAKE YOU EXEMPT FROM THE ONWARD MARCH OF PROGRESS.....pant........pant............*whew*
                  If those fools had their ways, we'd still be living in caves

If a new method of doing something is better, and takes less effort, why not? For example, I build model cars. For years, I painted everything with a brush...except for the bodies. Those got sprayed. Then I joined <a href="http://www.briansmodelcars">BMC</a> and picked up some new ideas. At first, I was a bit reluctant to use the Tamiya line of lacquer spray paints, mainly because of the higher cost. However, after seeing how they turned out on my Subaru rally car, I'm hooked!

One hold-up I still have, is about the airbrush. I'm not sure why, but I still can't get the hang of it!
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                  X