Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not going to work, no matter how many buttons you press!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not going to work, no matter how many buttons you press!

Ever had this happen? You're at your local bank, at the ATM, there to get a quick $20 or so. Out of nowhere, someone materializes out of thin air and beats you to the ATM. While there, they'll get out their card, get their stuff ready and start pressing buttons to no avail.

I've noticed this lots of times, and recently, I was able to actually peer over this lady's shoulder to find out what was happening. (No, I did not get her PIN number or private info). She kept trying to withdraw $60 in cash, but kept putting in just 60. The machine kept reading it as 60 cents being she did not put in the extra zeroes. So, I politely told her she would need to put in the extra zeroes to get it to work, or it would keep her card after three attempts. So, she put in 6-0-0-0. Then, she started getting upset because the ATM told her she was exceeding her account balance. Three more times, this woman tried withdrawing $60 and it kept telling her the same thing, so she wanted to know what that meant. (Common sense obviously does not gel with this lady, but still, I replied.) I told her it meant she did not have the funds to take out $60. She still kept punching buttons and getting frustrated to where she finally said, "I'm going to talk to the manager here!" All I wanted was $20, which I got, being I know what my balance is.

People like this go day after day never knowing how much money they have in their account, and they always think if they make several attempts or talk to a higher up, they will get money they do not have to begin with. I never did find out if the manager gave her any money.

I can't imagine having a balance that low. At least not since college. That would frighten me...heh, maybe that's the problem - they don't want to know...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      I can't imagine having a balance that low. At least not since college. That would frighten me...heh, maybe that's the problem - they don't want to know...
      Oh, I've had it like that a couple times... mostly times like when my dryer, just recently, decided to blow out a circuit board and I had to shell out for repairs. I've got $50 left in my account, and I'm holding my breath until payday.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        beats you to the ATM. While there, they'll get out their card, get their stuff ready and start pressing buttons to no avail.
        Even better, I got to watch it happen to someone else

Nice lady was at the ATM and strange guy was, well, WAY too far into her ATM bubble. She turned and asked if there was a problem. He said "Yes, I'm in a hurry." She very kindly canceled and stepped aside. At which point he stepped up and swiped what I could see from ten feet away was a gas card. He was definitely "pressing buttons to no avail" from that point on.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        I can't imagine having a balance that low.
        My day-to-day debit card is a completely separate account from my checking and savings accounts and I purposely only keep a couple hundred in it unless I'm going out to a big dinner occasion or I'm gonna go crazy at Amazon I just "fill it up" every few weeks or so. I often don't know how much is in it, but I think it gets down to double digits pretty often.
        Last edited by sms001; 11-04-2007, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X