This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental hijinks...

I had a dentist appointment today (look, Ma, no cavities ) and as I was settling in the chair to watch a bit of Meercat Manor (never watched it before; they're cute little things!), I noticed a new sign on the wall: "Please turn off cell phones while in the exam room."

So I asked the hygienist if people actually try to talk on the phone while they are in the chair. She said they do. (Not that I was really surprised.) She has even left the room to do other things while waiting for them to be finished.

She has also had people be in the middle of their cleaning and the phone rings and they say "Can I get that?"

Also, she told me sometimes people will have their phones clipped to their pocket, and she'll be in her little zone, cleaning away, when the phone rings right next to her and she jumps. Yeah, good idea - startle the woman who has a stainless steel hook in your mouth.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

That's almost as ridiculous as this:

At the tanning salon, it's no weird thing to hear a cell phone going off in the room next to you, to hear the bed being opened, and to hear the person in the room next to you talk on their cell phone WHILE tanning!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I hear a lot of the girls at work on the phone in the bathroom. Now, they work in the warehouse so it's usually too loud to use the phone out there, and they're not supposed to be using the phone if they're not on break (when they can go in the lunchroom), but do they have to use it in the stall while they pee?

Comment

They do that at the factory too. Most likely because we have a real big rule on NO CELL PHONES at all in the production areas or hallways. Some people just have "emergencies" where they have to run to the bathroom and call their bf or their friends at 3:00 am on a Tuesday night and see what's going on. *shrugs*
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Ah cell phones

One of the annoying things of being in college is trying to take notes and then you hear someone's phone go off, complete with loud annoying ringtone and they go and let all of the class to hear it. They never learn their lesson sadly.

I set my phone on vibrate and I instantly send the caller to voicemail if they call me during class. If there's downtime in class I'll respond via a text message (I hate answering phones and talking on phones) or I wait till class is over. Not a hard concept.

Thought of this too. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/re...?date=20071104
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
            One of the annoying things of being in college is trying to take notes and then you hear someone's phone go off, complete with loud annoying ringtone and they go and let all of the class to hear it. They never learn their lesson sadly.
            Heh, I guess I'm getting old...when I was in college no one had cell phones...(they were around but not nearly as widespread as they are now). I don't think I knew anyone who had one.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              I don't think I knew anyone who had one.
              Which is why I wish at times I would be in college in the early to mid 90s. No cell phones to worry about.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                Which is why I wish at times I would be in college in the early to mid 90s. No cell phones to worry about.
                hehe, I graduated in '97...where does the time go?

Comment

You young whippersnappers. I graduated in 1991, there certainly weren't any cell phones around then. We had to queue for the 4 phones in the phone room at college to phone home.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                    You young whippersnappers. I graduated in 1991, there certainly weren't any cell phones around then. We had to queue for the 4 phones in the phone room at college to phone home.
                    We at least had phones in our rooms (we had to use a PIN for long-distance calls so they would be charged to the right person - you could even get 2 PINs, one bill went directly to your parents and the other to you). Though we also had a pay phone on each hall since some people didn't sign up for the long distance plan.

My dad used to work for AT&T, and we got free long distance. So I would call home, let it ring once, and hang up, and they would call me back. My brother had 2 rings. Of course, that meant my parents could never answer the phone until it rang 3 times

Comment

How the heck do they expect to talk with all that equipment in their mouth?? How do they expect the other person to hear them with the sprayers and things going? I think cell phones are becoming an addiction. They're not growing out of your head...yet.
                      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                        They're not growing out of your head...yet.
                        Not yet...but those bluetooth ear pieces are the next best thing, I guess...

(My friend has one. Frankly I find them annoying.)

Comment

It's always funny to see someone talking on one of those bluetooth headsets. It always seems like they are talking to themselves at first.

Now the cellphone in the classroom thing has gotten to the point where professors have had their phones go off in the middle of class!

Too bad more professors didn't do this when annoyed by a student using their cell.

And then just because it's funny.
                          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                          The Office

Comment

Yeah, I've had profs whose phones go off in class. Always funny, because they stress on the first day, turn off your phones. I think my Psych prof probably handled it the best of anyone I've seen the time my phone went off in class. 200 some-odd students, and he starts dancing to my ringtone, then tells me that I can call them back later. I managed to stammer that I was just going to turn it off.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I had one prof say that if his phone went off in class, we all got extra credit. It never happened. I even tried calling his phone myself. Went straight to VM.

People with super loud vibrate functions drive me up the wall too. Expecially during a test. Your pathetic little social life can wait another 20 minutes. Whatever soap opera style drama your suffering right now will still be there after class.

Comment

Working...
                              X