This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky waitress

First of all, I AM one, (a waitress, that is, not a sucky one...at least I hope) so I have every right to pass judgement. Well, I'm not God, but you know what I mean.

It was my roommate's birthday dinner and there were about 20 people. We had rented out a private room, and we did have two younger children but they were very well-behaved. We let them run around, but before the waitress came in they sat immediately in their seats.

The service was OK, but I was sitting by the door and my other roomate and I saw the waitress roll her eyes after someone asked for more water!!!! What the hell? I've had people tell me I'm a dumb blonde to my face (when I colored my hair), and I've had parties of 25+ people bitch at me to make their checks separate, and tell me that my serving skills could "use improvement" on a Friday night when the place was PACKED, while the cooks were calling me a dumb bitch and we were short-staffed. I know every single thing a server has to go through.

The restaurant wasn't full at ALL. There were servers just sitting around. We didn't even ask for separate checks! If you have to roll your eyes, do it in the kitchen while cussing up a storm like I do. That is all.
    Last edited by Giggle Goose; 11-07-2007, 02:26 AM. Reason: Redeeming myself
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

I'm completely with you. Displays of attitude like that tend to make your tip dwindle, if possible--darn gratuity on large parties.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

She rolled her eyes over WATER??

Grrrrrrrrrr to her.

I only order water to drink at restaurants. Even my mommy says I'm a cheap date.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

This's the point when I'd be tempted to talk to the manager, and tell him that I don't mind paying the mandatory gratuity, I just don't think she deserves more than 1/4 of it. Explain why, etc. If you're still willing to pay it, he may see that you're not being a SC, just protesting the poor service. Of course, if you're reasonable, he may stand up to you, where he would cave to a 8-year-old-ish temper tantrum, who's to say?
        If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth tangrid View Post
          I don't mind paying the mandatory gratuity,
          Well, by definition, no gratuity is mandatory...

gratuity: a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip. (from dictionary.com)

even if they include it in the bill, if they call it a gratuity (as opposed to a service charge or something) I don't think they can force you to pay it. That said, I think that it is fair to ensure a decent tip for a server who has to deal with an especially large party. They'd have to be really bad for me to give less, and if they were REALLY good, I'd even give more.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
          X