This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel for you computer guys.

One from where I work. Yesterday a customer came in to get his oil changed, and I was the one who got the ticket for it. As I pull his car into my bay I notice a really nice high dollar Alienware laptop sitting in the passenger seat exposed to god and everybody. So I covered it with one of our 2 cent paper fender covers since the guys who clean the cars for us are just day laborers that we don't know. Theres a few regulars but most of the time the temp place sends us people we've never met.
    So I get done changing this guy's oil and it's in make-ready being cleaned for him and I go up to the front of the dealership to tell this guy his car will be ready in a few minutes and it will be pulled around for him.

The guy is on a cell phone talking to a computer help desk and he was berating the poor guy/gal on the other end. This is what I heard.

"So you mean to tell me that I spent 15 grand on this laptop and now I won't be able to use it?"

Short pause where I assume the other tech on the other end is talking.

"What do you mean install a bigger hard-drive?! It's a laptop! Hello? You can't upgrade laptops with aftermarket stuff!"

Another pause.

"What the f*ck is an external harddrive. Stop making sh*t up!"

Another pause. The guy glances at me and sees me holding his receipt, yanks it out of my hand, and tells me thanks for getting it done so quickly. I tell him that make ready has his car and that I covered his laptop with some fender covers so the make ready guys wouldn't get degreaser all over it. He gives an 'Oh sh*t I left that in the car?' look and thanks me for that.

As I walk back to the shop I hear the guy say

"No! It's a laptop for GAMING! You can't take GAMES off of a GAMING laptop!!"

I didn't hear anything else since I got out of earshot by that time.

I felt sorry for that computer Tech though.

First off, $15k? For a laptop? And he needs a bigger hard drive? How in the blue blazes did he manage that? Did he download the internet?

Quoth coldcupofjoe View Post
    "What the f*ck is an external harddrive. Stop making sh*t up!"
    Secondly:
    "And what kind of animal has tusks?"
    "A walrus?"
    "Didn't I tell you to stop making sh*t up?!"
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

$15,000 for a laptop? For that price it should have grabbed the car keys & driven itself home...lol.

Comment

As I pull his car into my bay I notice a really nice high dollar Alienware laptop sitting in the passenger seat exposed to god and everybody.
        Aha, that explains it. Although I still fail to justify 15 grand for a laptop, unless it's a hybrid of AW and Toughbook. Now give me 15K to build a gaming desktop, and I bet I could do it (all top-of-the-line parts) with lots of cash left over.
        "What do you mean install a bigger hard-drive?! It's a laptop! Hello? You can't upgrade laptops with aftermarket stuff!"
        So AW makes and brands their own parts now?

My dad used to get short with tech support (although not even close to this dude), but I've retrained him.
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          First off, $15k? For a laptop? And he needs a bigger hard drive? How in the blue blazes did he manage that? Did he download the internet?
          LOL! When I toured a film school, their computers (that did digital effects, editing, etc) were priced around $10K. How his could be $15K for gaming I'll never know.

Comment

No way in hell he spent $15K on a laptop. The most expensive laptop I could build at alienware was about $6258. And what makes it so expensive is a 64GB SOLID STATE drive and a 320GB HDD.

Edit:

oops missed a screen. OK, the most expensive alienware laptop I could make would be come out to $11,237.00 That's with every possible option in the multiple choice options and the most expensive option in each single choice category.
            Last edited by trunks2k; 11-30-2007, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, alienware can charge $15K for a gaming laptop. It probably has the latest and greatest hardware, lots of software pre-installed, and matched RAM for full speed possible.

That said, a laptop like that is too good for an idiot like that.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Yes, alienware can charge $15K for a gaming laptop. It probably has the latest and greatest hardware, lots of software pre-installed, and matched RAM for full speed possible.
                But see my above post. Via their website, I built the most expensive laptop possible. A good portion of the charges came from peripherals and extra junk like laptop bags, multiple game controllers, and a monitor. I bought EVERYTHING, and the price was still just a bit above $11K.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                  I bought EVERYTHING, and the price was still just a bit above $11K.
                  If you have no further need for it having proved it exists, I'll give it a good home

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                    But see my above post. Via their website, I built the most expensive laptop possible. A good portion of the charges came from peripherals and extra junk like laptop bags, multiple game controllers, and a monitor. I bought EVERYTHING, and the price was still just a bit above $11K.
                    Maybe at the moment, but prices fluctuate as new tech hits the marketplace. I have seen a top-of-the-line alienware go for over $20k. Right now, things are pretty stable. Plus, they may be having issues moving the high-end stuff.

Oh, another thought: The dingus may have ordered through a third party reseller that tacked on a nice markup for themselves, once they realized what a fool they were dealing with.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I have, in fact the laptop I'm on right now I upgraded the hard drive myself. Not that hard if you work on them regularly.

Comment

I'm debating getting myself an alienware for xmas, but if i do, my friends are threatening to teach me how to FULLY use a computer.....
                        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

"No! It's a laptop for GAMING! You can't take GAMES off of a GAMING laptop!!"
                          Eh? Does he think the games "etch" themselves onto the hard drive platters and render them unusable for anything else? (actually, he probably does) Maybe that was the 15K; one laptop for gaming, one for internet, one for Word, etc...

By that logic, I should not have been able to use my school laptop for anything other than schoolwork...
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

If he knows so much about computers, why didn't he just fix it himself?

I'd hate to see the end result of that one.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                            X