This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shows what you know!

This one happened to me recently while on a grand quest. A quest for +1 boots of Doc Martens...

Ok, kidding aside, I was looking for a nice pair of Doc Martens and the following little sighting happened. It struck me then as being somewhat odd, but looking back I find it a good bit more funny than anything. It's a perfect example I feel, of the sales person who thinks they know everything.

In my travels, I had run into a gentleman at a Tractor Supply Company who suggested I try a local army/navy store. Given that the A/N store sold a large number of boots, the TSC associate figured that they might have the boots I sought.

Heading over there, I wandered into the small store only to notice that the owner/clerk was standing helping some young people decide upon what collector knife they wanted. His wife, a sweet lady who knows me quite well (and by default he ought know me) sat there eating her lunch. The man glanced over at me and asked if I needed help to which I responded that no, I wanted to look a bit. I wasn't entirely sure if they carried what I wanted, but since he was with a customer I wouldn't bug him right now. He just nodded assent and left it at that.

Heading back to the store, I look high and lo. Sure I see some things that look close, but nothing fit the right bill. Heading back up I stood aside and waited while he worked the other sale. This is the sighting that happened next:

He looked up from his other customers and asked:

AN (clerk)
    R (me)

AN- Did you find what you were looking for?
    R- Nah, I'm not sure if you carried it or not. I think you did at one time...
    AN- What ya looking for?
    R- Doc Martens.
    AN- What? What's that?
    R- Well, it's hard to explain, but they're technically a work boot. Probably the best made.
    AN- Who makes them?
    R- Doc Martens.
    AN (He gets a bit huffy here) Well I've never heard of them, and I've been in the business fifty years! When did they start making them?
    R- 1947.
    AN (at this point he gives me a strange look and then repeats.) Well I've never heard of em.

His wife, however, looks up from her sandwich. After a second she nods and says

You know the ones he's talking about. They're our best sellers. Remember, that young boy came in yesterday and bought the last pair?

I didn't hang around long after that, but I can honestly say that if looks could kill, she would be long since gone.

Still, I have to wonder what was he playing at by saying that?
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Try Zappos.com. I got two pair from there. Free shipping, great returns. Also, I got a third (my favorite) pair off ebay at an ebay store called Grapevine Hill. Not sure if it still exists, but they might. Even if they don't, ebay usually has Docs. The favorite pair is blue reptile. Hard to find. 50 bucks with the Buy It Now option. Coulda been cheaper if I wasn't so desperate.

Guy mighta just been a contrary old fart. I don't have to tell you they exist. Steady stream of them used to come into Kinko's.

EDIT: Yeah. Any excuse to go over there and look at shoes. Zappos gots Docs out the wingwang. I might have to get these:http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/26686875/c/3.html

If I didn't have a kid, I'd have more shoes than Imelda Marcos.
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 12-06-2007, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
      R- Well, it's hard to explain, but they're technically a work boot. Probably the best made.
      Gotta disagree with ya on one point there. For actual workboots, I'd have to say Redwing boots are the best by leaps and bounds. Docs are pretty damn spiffy, though.

And yeah, that's just... oi... senile maybe?
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
        They used to be very well-made. But in 2003 they moved production from the UK to Thailand, and boy, the quality has suffered. I have bought my last pair.

I'm actually shocked that there is still someone out there that hasn't heard of Docs.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

They're cool, but they don't fit my feet.

Occasionally, they'll pop up on famousfootwear.com at a discount.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I disbelieve!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post

EDIT: Yeah. Any excuse to go over there and look at shoes. Zappos gots Docs out the wingwang. I might have to get these:http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/26686875/c/3.html
              hehe, I'm not really a Docs kinda girl but those are cool!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

A couple of other good boot sites, bt not Doc Marten specific

http://www.pennangalan.com/
                http://www.rivithead.com/
                Last edited by rvdammit; 12-08-2007, 08:40 PM. Reason: Fix a trypo
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                  Gotta disagree with ya on one point there. For actual workboots, I'd have to say Redwing boots are the best by leaps and bounds. Docs are pretty damn spiffy, though.

And yeah, that's just... oi... senile maybe?
                  Redwings or Wolverines. I had to buy new workboots 2 weeks ago. I tried on a pair of Redwings that just felt totally amazingly comfortable. Better than barefoot.
                  Of course, the price tag was about $150, so no way was I going to get those.

But man.. felt like walking on a cloud.
                  Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Sine you where at the Army/Navy store anyhow why not just get a pair or two of combat boots for workboots? I've had the same pair now for 3 years running and they have been the best. I have two pairs of standard combats that I wear for working around the farm. They are lightweight, durable, comfortable and with a bit of goo waterproof. I've tried other kinds of boots, even had my uncle give me a pair of redwings a long time ago. To me they didnt feel as good as the plain ol good ol combat boot. Not to mention I can get pair of combats in my size for between 30 and 50. Just my two cents.

As for the original posting about the old guy. Probably just an old fart who didn't remember the name of the boots and didn't want to look dumb in front of a young whippersnapper. And unfortunately wound up doing so anyhow.

Comment

Well the pair I got are pretty nice, looked at the new line and was rather shocked at everything out there. I ended up going to "Journeys" where I got my current pair.

As to calling them a work boot, I was trying to put things into terms I figured the guy would understand :P
                      Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        I disbelieve!
                        Did you make your will save? :P
                        Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
                          Did you make your will save? :P
                          *rolls a D20* 14, plus my class bonus and Wisdom bonus....21? Pretty sure, yeah.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

If its just plain black boots you're after because you're walking lots, Magnums are excellent, well they're very comfy but I walked one pair into the ground in less than six months, I'll give another pair a go then I'l try Lowa if the new pair also fail quickly.
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I would honestly recommend you try some specialty gothic/metal clothing stores.
                              I personally sport a nice pair of KMM boots: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2m9fys.
                              Originally I wanted to buy those, just for the heck of it: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2l9kqv.

Love them, though nowadays I use them mostly as my McD's workboots.
                              Music: Last.fm
                              Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X