This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post office WTF

So I had to make a post office run yesterday to ship off a pile of Amazon sales (they must be smoking some weird shit to come up with their shipping allowances...media mail rates for toys?! Hi, not allowed!). Two of my 3 boxes fit in the APC drop box, the third was just a hair too wide, so I hopped in line with it (I had already paid for and printed the label).

I spy two guys over at one of the little counters trying to put something in a box.

They were trying to ship a Tickle Me Elmo doll, no original package and even looking at the silly thing too closely set it off. No effort was made to remove the batteries.

Lady in line in front of me: "I can imagine the postal worker's face when he picks that box up."

Seems I should submit that as a secondhand sighting to Postal Experiments. I wasn't able to stick around to find out if it was accepted though...

-----------------------------------

Concurrent to the above. An older woman entered, looked at the line, huffs, then stormed over to the Superintendent's office door and bang loudly, then look back at the line with the quintessential CBF. Rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times, then the postmaster comes out (there's a HUGE sign not to knock on the door, but rather go to the counters for help).

Apparently she wanted him to get more people on the counter. Hi, all counter stations are already open, there's a line, it's the holiday shipping season. Of course there's going to be a line!

What was so pressing? She was shipping a box that she hadn't packed, sealed or filled out a label yet (hint: that's what the customer counters scattered around are for).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Somehow we acquired a voice box from a Tickle-Me Elmo doll in our office. It has been hidden in some odd places, just waiting for the unsuspecting person to set it off...my favorite being the Storm Trooper helmet that a coworker has on his desk. It got taped inside so that it would go off if he put it on. Then we were looking for excuses to get him to wear it. Unfortunately, he saw it before actually put it on (he's 6'3" tall and sometimes will stand staring at people over the cube wall to scare them - we were joking around so I told him to put the helmet on and get one of the other guys, who was the one who put the Tickle-Me Elmo box in the helmet).
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Two Tickle Me Elmo Stories for you . . . .
      When the doll first came out some people went to toy stores and messed with the voice boxes . . . .
      December 26 Father comes storming into name brand they don't want to grow up toy store . . .. he has steam coming out of his ears and basically the store has gone quiet . . .he stomps over to counter slams Elmo on it and you hear "F&$K ELMO" in Elmo voice.
      The clerk looks at the man and says . . .I will be happy to give you a full refund or exchange for the Elmo of your choice . . .I have 5 back here that you are welcome to test first.
      Man holds out his hand . . .clerk gives him money and walks out - never said a word. . . .clerk hides Elmo and when she went on break she purchased the adult version Elmo.

Elmo story two - some friends took the voice box out of a Tickle Me Elmo . . . .they have occassions to wear full formal kilt . . . they like to place the voice box in their Sporran (that is the piece that sits in front to help hold kilt down in the wind, along with holding the kilt wearers drinking funds and such)

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
        Elmo story two - some friends took the voice box out of a Tickle Me Elmo . . . .they have occassions to wear full formal kilt . . . they like to place the voice box in their Sporran (that is the piece that sits in front to help hold kilt down in the wind, along with holding the kilt wearers drinking funds and such)
        how many words can it say? My grandpa's favorite line for being asked what a real Scotsman wears under his kilt is "give me yur hand lassie and I'll show you"

Comment

Auntiem, the way I heard it is as follows:

Young female tourist: What's worn under a kilt?

Scotsman: Nay, lassie, 'tis not worn at all. 'Tis in excellent condition.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

On a related note: we have "happy hippo" and other "happy" pets around here (not sure of the actual brand name) at Target and suchlike places. A couple of my friends purchased them and are known to hippo-trap things with them. One of the hippos is somewhat, erm, beaten up and one day his voice went from "Oh! Oh! I'm a happy hippo! Oh! A hahahahahahahaha...." and so on to

OHHHH! OHHHHH! I'M A HAPPY HIPPO! OHHHHHH! MUAHAHAHA HAHA HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! complete with low evil scary Satan-voice.

They also vibrate. Hard. Hard enough to move around and/or fall off of things. Which I consider to be the icing on the CAKE OF EVIL!
            "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

We have three post offices in Bloomington/Normal (Downtown, Eagle Station, Normal) and they are all usually busy. I found it easier to drive to one of the surrounding towns than to drive to one of the above three. I usually drop things off at the mail services desk at work if they are stamped and ready to go. But, if they aren't, I have to one of the actual offices.
              Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                One of the hippos is somewhat, erm, beaten up and one day his voice went from "Oh! Oh! I'm a happy hippo! Oh! A hahahahahahahaha...." and so on to

OHHHH! OHHHHH! I'M A HAPPY HIPPO! OHHHHHH! MUAHAHAHA HAHA HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! complete with low evil scary Satan-voice.
                OK, now I want one. I'm envisioning putting the voice box in one of the Cthulhu plushies at work...
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Where can I get a Happy Hippo? One of my older sisters collects hippos, and we're always looking for new ones.
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                    OHHHH! OHHHHH! I'M A HAPPY HIPPO! OHHHHHH! !
                    That sounds like a very happy hippo. If you get my drift.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                    X