This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've turned into the customer from hell

I am being one of those complaining types that annoy the hell out of me, but I really feel I am right in this case.

I got an email on Dec 3 with a promotion from my phone/internet company.

We were looking at purchasing a laptop for our daughter, and this had a promotion where I could purchase one and make payments on my phone bill for a price that included internet, and was only a little more than I was already paying for internet.

I tried to call, but their office was closed, so I went to their website and used the chat feature to talk with a rep.
    I was told they did not have that promotion, and I should disregard the email. I pointed out that the same promotion was advertised in several different places on their site, and he again told me they did not have this promotion, but he could sell me an Xbox. I declined, and then he offered to look at my services and offer upgrades at special rates. I declined that as well.

A day later, the site was still showing that promotion, so I used PFB to send an unshared letter to the company. In the meantime, I also left feedback on the company's message board on their site.

The next day, my husband was out shopping, and he was in one of their stores and asked about the promotion.
    They said it was a valid promotion, and the easiest thing would be for him to call customer service and place his order.
    He tried to call the next day, as the office was closed by the time he got home.
    They were having some technical issue, and he was told to call later.
    I called from work in the afternoon, only to be told they were still having issues and couldn't process the order.
    I asked when he thought I should try again, and he said to call next week.
    I was concerned, because I wanted the laptop for Christmas, and he said there would be no problem with getting it in time for Christmas.
    He then offered to sell me an Xbox, and when I declined, he offered to look at my services and offer me some upgrades. I declined again.

A day later, I got back a standard form letter in reply to my PFB complaint, apologizing and saying the service wasn't up to their usual standards, and that they did, indeed have that promotion and I could call their customer service, or visit one of their stores, or I could use the chat feature to order the services.

I replied, telling them that I had, indeed, already gone that route with no results.
    I got back another form letter telling me someone would be looking into it.

Two days ago, in frustration, I called the store myself and left a message, as it was closed for the day. I outlined a bit of what I was going through.
    The next morning, first thing, I got a call back from one of their staff. She sympathized with me and said all I needed to do was to come into the store and order it, and there wouldn't be a problem.
    Unfortunately, though, she told me I will not get it in time for Christmas, but she can give me the new modem to wrap up with a card showing that the laptop is on its way.
    Better than nothing.
    Because of their store hours, though, it's impossible for me to get there when they're open. I work retail, too, and when they're open, I'm at my job.
    There was a small window of opportunity today, and I was going to try to arrange something.
    I got another call from another of their staff yesterday, and apparently, she didn't realize the other girl had called.
    When I told her of my situation, she offered to do everything over the phone.
    In only a few minutes, my order was placed, and my laptop should be on its way shortly.

As for my messageboard complaint, the forum admin asked for proof of this promotion. He wanted a copy of the email, as well as links to the pages on the site that had the promo.
    I provided all of that to him.
    As of yesterday, after the girl at the store placed my order for me, the forum admin assured me he was still looking into the issue of this promotion to find out if they can process an order for me.

The only drawback is that, even though it didn't say anywhere in the ads, the pricing offer is only for new internet customers. Since I am an exisiting customer, they are limited in what they can offer me, so my fee is about $20 more than advertised.

I find the whole thing really misleading and frustrating, and now I am calling and writing, trying to get someone to expedite my order so this thing reaches us in time for Christmas. I really don't think it's too much to ask.

In all of my dealings, I have been respectful and polite, but my frustration has been obvious.
    I still can't help but think that somewhere, someone is siting in an office, shaking their head saying, "Oh no...we got another letter from that whiner."
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

I say it allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. Simply because there are negative, selfish people who don't care if they ruin things for other people is NOT a justification for allowing yourself to be abused. Knowing that there are idiots who live their lives by making others miserable is NOT a reason to allow idiocy and incompetance into your life.

Empathy is a good thing.

Being a punching bag is silly.

Comment

I highly doubt that makes you the customer from Hell, Ree.

Unfortunately, things like this happen all the time with cable/internet promotions. The fine print sometimes isn't even up to date or halfway correct. I've been there/done that with my local cable company and I actually WAS an SC with them when I was wrongfully overcharged.

It takes a real mature and patient person to deal with stuff like this.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Gee Ree, how could you?! Making them honour a promotion instead of rolling over and accepting the X-Box. It must be hellish for them to actually deal with a person with a backbone and a brain and the will to use them!
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Ree : you're not even close to the Gimme Gimme I wannna stuff my bag full of crap and you have to carry it all.....or the ZOMG you aren't helping me! I got here a nanosecond ago!!!!!

You've followed a logical step, you've shown effort on your part, you've been fair and understanding - so no, you aren't even CLOSE to being an SC.

Good on you for complaining, actually, call the Xbox guy on the carpet :P

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

You're not even close to an SC, Ree. SCs are unreasonable. You are not. You simply asked for what was offered. They failed to provide it. You made every attempt to find someone to help you. They continued to fail.

I'm just hoping that the laptop actually does show up as promised and your daughter is happy with it.

If it doesn't, please let us know. We'll be happy to let your phone/internet company know how disappointed we are to hear how they've treated a good customer. I'm sure a few hundred emails will get their attention.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

What did the supervisor say?

So what did the call center Supervisor say when you spoke to him/her? You didn't put that in your post.

You did ask to speak with a Supervisor, right?

If I feel I'm getting the run-around or the wrong answer I always ask for the Supervisor because sometimes the Rep isn't trained properly on the special promotions.

Laundryhater

Comment

What, you didn't demand a free house too? You didn't question the lineage of the people you spoke with? You were reasonable and not shouty?

Not sucky. They were sucky.
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

It is kind of sad when people have been in Customer Service for so long they feel that having to escalate how seriously you pursue reasonable complaints and problems is a bad thing.

There is a difference between being unreasonable, and letting people know you won't take their shit.

Don't let yourself be jerked around, and don't feel that you are anything NEAR a customer from hell.
                  "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                  James from Pokémon.

Comment

I have found that the percentage of sucky workers are the same as sucky customers. It's just that there are SO MANY MORE customers ... darned percentages!
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

woah mait a minute they advertised something that was really only allagable for new customers to current customers.

Comment

Working...
                      X