This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Some people are rude!" "Like you for example"

In the supermarket dairy aisle this morning, I witnessed two SCs standing there chatting away. Right in front of the skim milk.

Somebody walked up, said "Excuse me please". Nothing happened. After a few more attempts she said "excuse me" again while reaching between the SCs to take a carton of milk.

The SCs glared at her, and one said "Some people are just rude" once the other customer was out of earshot.

yeah lady, some people are rude. Like people who can't tell the difference between a supermarket and a social club.

Same goes for the bank. Everybody knows everybody at my branch so it's like a class reunion or something most days. And I can't stand it when they stand in front of the teller stations and yap away when we have a line of customers waiting to be helped.

But don't forget... The world obviously doesn't revolved around common folk like us. It revolves around the assholes of the world who can't be bothered to MOVE once in a while.
    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

I was walking through the kids' department one day and this guy and girl, maybe late teens or 20s, were standing there, chatting, one next to a bookcase and the other next to a display gondola a few feet away. I was pulling a small v-cart, and there were people blocking the path behind the guy, so I couldn't go around that way. The only other option was to backtrack and go around the other side of the bookcase (where there were other customers, like, ya know, shopping), or to walk between them (there was plenty of room to do so, they didn't need to move an inch). So I politely said excuse me, and went through.

I don't remember what they said but they clearly found this to be very rude.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Used to get that in my home town when I was working pizza delivery, only these folks did it in the middle of the road. Almost all the roads in that town are two lanes. If someone is driving and recognizes an approaching car, both might just stop, roll down their windows, and have a conversation, allowing traffic to back up behind them. Fortunately, there's usually not enough traffic for this to become a big problem, but it's really frustrating to be stuck behind one of those drivers.

More than once I would find myself in that situation and give my horn a quick, polite tap that should suggest that I would like to get past. Only once has the driver moved for me. The other times, the driver would flip me off and swear at me, or I was completely ignored until I either gave up and found a way around them or until they were finished talking.

I don't think I've had anybody be insulted where I work now by my excusing myself as I try to slip past them, but then, I'm small and usually not trying to move heavy loads.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
          More than once I would find myself in that situation and give my horn a quick, polite tap that should suggest that I would like to get past. Only once has the driver moved for me. The other times, the driver would flip me off and swear at me, or I was completely ignored until I either gave up and found a way around them or until they were finished talking.
          While it might appear a bit sucky, in cases like this the typical car horn provides sufficient decibalage to make conversation difficult.

Comment

That kind of thing happens so often around here that I don't even notice it any more.
            "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
            "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
            --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts
              Used to get that in my home town when I was working pizza delivery, only these folks did it in the middle of the road. Almost all the roads in that town are two lanes. If someone is driving and recognizes an approaching car, both might just stop, roll down their windows, and have a conversation, allowing traffic to back up behind them. Fortunately, there's usually not enough traffic for this to become a big problem, but it's really frustrating to be stuck behind one of those drivers.

Conversations like that happen all the time in my town...though I've noticed the people involved tend to keep an eye out for approaching traffic and end their conversations when someone does show up.

...of course, now that I've said that, I'll start noticing people continuing their conversations like you described.
              "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

You mean like the dumb bitches that park in the alley right behind our driveway because they're too lazy to walk a few extra feet and park nearby to drop off and pick up their kids at the house nearby for daycare and then have the chutzpah to give me and my wife this look after she whips by them really fast to pull into the driveway.

Comment

yeah... those bitches. they have cousins at my old apartment complex...

too difficult to walk 500 feet from the apartment to wait for junior at the bus stop, they have to block the right hand traffic lane and wait in the car.

Comment

How I would have handled it:

SC: "Some people are just rude!"

ME: "I know! I mean, I just saw two stupid cows too absorbed in their own conversation refuse to get out of the way of someone who needed to get milk, and that was even after they had politely said 'Excuse me' no less than three times! And to top it off, the heifers had the nerve to be offended!"

(walk off shaking my head in dismay)

Comment

When I was a kid, our house was right by a bus stop, and we had a sort or recessed front door. So whenever it rained, people would open our gate, cross our front yard, and shelter under the overhang. One day I returned from school to find the overhang packed with about 6 people, like sardines, because it was pouring.

Me: "Excuse me."

Me "EXCUSE ME!"

them: "Well!" "How rude!" "There's no room, kid, go away!" "Rude boy" etc etc.

Me: "This is my key. I live here. Get out of our yard."

It felt good to watch them slink away, especially as I grabbed a drink and watched from the front window to make sure they stood out in the rain and got drenched.

Comment

I dealt with this in high school a lot. It was always the freshman and sophomores who did this that it got to a point where I would just charge right through the group blocking the hall.
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
                          Me "EXCUSE ME!"

them: "Well!" "How rude!" "There's no room, kid, go away!" "Rude boy" etc etc.

Me: "This is my key. I live here. Get out of our yard."

It felt good to watch them slink away, especially as I grabbed a drink and watched from the front window to make sure they stood out in the rain and got drenched.

Good for you!!! I LOVE it!!!
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X