This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Union Suck

Hey! It's everybody's favorite bank teller here. I've been reading a bunch of stories of bank suckage as of late and I thought I'd share a story of credit union suckage. Hopefully the story makes sense since I did cut an paste the bulk of it from my LiveJournal.

First, a bit of background. I bought my first car (a Volkswagen) at a dealership that offered credit union financing. I got an awesome rate and I got approved for the loan with only a part time job at the time. So I get my car, make my payments, and all is happy.

Three years after buying the car I moved to Virgina. I had the car for about 6 months living down there when I decided to trade it in. I only owed about $2000 on the car, but the car needed at least that much in work, so a newer car was in order. I bought a Saturn since my bf worked for the Saturn dealership and ended up financing my car through an entirely different bank. The sales manager made sure to send a 15 day per diem payment on the old car so that I would be completely paid off on the other car and most likely get a refund. A couple of weeks after I bought my new car I got a refund check from said Saturn dealer because they purposely overpaid on my payoff.

So I thought that was the end of this with the credit union... That was until I got a dormant account notice from them. I didn't realize it, but I ended up overpaying the interest on my Volkswagen and they just threw it into a savings account. I never got any statements from the credit union stating this fact either.

So I call up and low and behold I have $110 in a savings account with them. Hey, I'll take that. They said I should keep the account open in case I want to finance another car with them. Ok, cool. So I just sent them a few bucks to take the account out of dormant state and I'm just letting it fester.

Today I decided that it might be prudent to open a CD at the credit union to save for taxes. That was until I couldn't open a checking account with them. I wanted to have a checking account so I could easily transfer the money from the CD account to my accounts at other banks and not have to travel to a branch. According to the credit union I have an account abuse flag on my account with them. Uh, bwhua? I've never had a checking account through them so how could I be flagged as an account abuser? I did have a savings account with them and the account went dormant, but that doesn't typically flag you for account abuse. I have accounts with two other local banks where I live and I have never gone negative at either bank, nor have I ever had an unpaid charge off. I do have a $0 balance at a third bank, but that's just because I closed my account off there and $0 balances don't affect account abuse statuses. I think I would know this since I work for a bank myself. I also know that credit unions tend to go through different reporting agencies than banks do. Keep in mind I've never had a checking account with any credit unions ever and I've never gone negative in the one account I do have there.

So, like any normal thinking person I called the 24 hour customer service line. Supposedly you can handle anything on this line that you would do at the branch, only it's a 24 hour service. As it turns out this customer service line is nothing more than a glorified 24 hour account balance line. The lady on the phone was not helpful. She just told me to visit a branch during the week to sort it out. Uh, there's just one problem... I LIVE 2 HOURS FROM THE NEAREST BRANCH!!!!! I even explained this to her and she just scoffed and told me to visit a branch. I like having an account at the credit union since their loan and deposit rates are usually really good, but this is absolutely ridiculous. So I e-mailed the customer service that is at the branches and told them to cancel my application because I'm going to take my business elsewhere. Why do they tell you to call the 24 hour customer service line for problems, application questions, and loans, when you can't seem to get anything more than an account balance on that line?

I'm going to close my savings account out there next week and join the credit union that's in the next town over from where I live now. They seem to be a heck of a whole lot more convenient to get to and deal with than the credit union I'm with now. Not to mention they have a branch open until 6pm on Fridays that also happens to be right on the way home from work. I think I can handle that.

I come from the old school and I don't believe in keeping all of your accounts at one bank. I have 2 accounts where I work, 2 accounts where my dad banks, and I would also like to have an account at a credit union for car loans and big deposits.
    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You might want to ask to speak to the manager on duty when you go in to close the account. It seems that not everyone is on the ball there. They need to know that and they need to explain to the people who hand out the 24 hour number that it's not a real customer service number.

The credit union SO and I have is really good. They screwed up on SOs account last week when they accidentally withdrew the mortgage payment twice, causing his account to go negative well over a thousand dollars. We didn't know until he tried to use his check card and it was declined.

He called the next day and they not only fixed the problem, but reimbursed him double the fee for being overdrawn.

They've also taken care of a few problems I've had. Like when I accidentally transferred money from savings into my loan payment when it should have gone to my checking. They gave that back to me. And when Walgreens refused to refund the money they debited from me twice because the cashier kept swiping my card.

I don't like the credit union we're using for our HELOC. They didn't send us our 1099 last year and then gave me crap for it when I told them that they cost us on our tax return. They won't put SOs name on the statement, even though its a joint account. They won't recognize him as an account holder, even though we went down together and opened the account. Apparently I am the only one they will talk to.

We're actively looking for another place to refi the HELOC, but it's hard right now with the housing crunch.
    Last edited by fma_fanatic; 01-13-2008, 06:18 AM.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I have my HELOC through the bank I work for. I get a discount since I work for them. I was surprised because they've already sent me papers for my taxes! I haven't even started to get my W2s yet and I got the tax information for my HE. My advice on HE, never go through ING. I had a HELOC through them and refinanced it through my bank a month after I got the original loan. ING kept screwing up my paperwork and would not listen to a word I said. So I said screw them and paid them off with a refinance. Now I can make my payments right when I'm at work and I can make as many little payments as my heart desires.

The credit union I'm thinking of switching to is the next town over from where I live and they only have 2 branches. I also haven't heard anything bad about them since quite a few of my bf's coworkers seem to use them and are happy with their service.

Comment

I should clarify - the reason we didn't get our 1099 form from the one credit union was because we'd just opened it in September. However, we'd paid well over 300 dollars in interest by year end. As far as I was concerned, we deserved to get a copy of it.

However, the credit union refused to type up a 1099 for us. I am going to be reading them the riot act if they don't send us the form on time this year. We're going to be going to H&R Block or somewhere like that this year, since SO and I are now married. We hadn't planned to, but figured it was worth it to do so. That way we know what we need to do for next year.
        Random conversation:

Comment

Anyone paying you interest like that is required to send you at 1099. That's how it works.

I've received 1099's for 23 cents in interest (an account I thought I'd cleared out and closed).

Sounds like a sucky CU.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Their excuse was that since it was under 400 dollars, they weren't required by law to send one out. I called them on it when I contacted the person who manages my parents estate. He's a CPA who told me that it didn't matter if we just paid 25 cents in interest, they HAD to send us a 1099 form.
            Random conversation:

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
              Their excuse was that since it was under 400 dollars, they weren't required by law to send one out. I called them on it when I contacted the person who manages my parents estate. He's a CPA who told me that it didn't matter if we just paid 25 cents in interest, they HAD to send us a 1099 form.
              Contact the IRS and report them. The IRS gets real upset when employers and banks don't send the proper paperwork out on time (Postmarked Jan 31 for most income).
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Just to update everybody on what's happened since Saturday: I called the old credit union again and explained the situation. I ended up getting the supervisor who apologized for the first CSR's rudeness on Saturday and kept trying to sell me on staying with the credit union. I told her absolutely not since this is not the first time I've had trouble with them and told them to close out my savings account and send me a check for whatever is in there. If the first CSR handled the situation like she was supposed to then perhaps the credit union wouldn't have lost a customer.

The lady at the new credit union was more than helpful. She got me into a savings account and signed me up for a cd at 4.5%! (the old place was only going to pay me 3.75% for the same term and same amount of money). She also gave me a packet in case I want to refinance my car with them. Not only that, but this new place is open late on Fridays and is on the way home from work in case I want to stop in and make a deposit.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Contact the IRS and report them. The IRS gets real upset when employers and banks don't send the proper paperwork out on time (Postmarked Jan 31 for most income).
                  I know I should have done that. Is it too late to do that for last year? We lost $60 of our refund because of this. I'd really like to get it back.
                  Random conversation:

Comment

Geez, if you didn't get a paper you were supposed to get and you were a customer where I work, we'd go out of our way to contact the proper department and get you the paper as soon as possible. Why quality customer service at banks has gone downhill is beyond me. Perhaps it's because too many banks are thinking with their wallets instead of their heads these days. And seriously, how do these people expect us to trust money to them if they treat us like crap? Taking care of your customers is not that difficult.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                      I know I should have done that. Is it too late to do that for last year? We lost $60 of our refund because of this. I'd really like to get it back.
                      You can file for an adjustment on already paid taxes, but I don't know much about the procedure, or if it would be worth it for $60. You could try calling the IRS help line, or checking with a real tax preparer. I only know as much as I do because my Mom has done taxes for H&R Block for about 20 years, and likes to talk over Sunday dinner.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Okay. Now I'm mad.

Apparently they sent out the 1098s with just my name. SOs is missing. Yes, I can still file, but it's the principle of the thing. We opened the account as a joint account. We signed the HELOC paperwork together. Therefore, the information should be together!

I've been sitting on hold with their loud music. If I didn't have a dental appointment today, I'd ask to take some time off and go down to discuss this matter face to face with the manager. I've told SO that if they don't fix this problem, I'm going to start looking for another place to refi our HELOC. I am tired of this BS.

If our first mortgage holder can get it right, why can't they?!
                        Random conversation:

Comment

Working...
                        X