This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Woes...

Not sure if this classifies as a sighting since well I haven't actually seen the people that sent us this stuff, but you kinda have to wonder about what this says about people. Another thread made me think of this, and take the time to monkey around with the stuff.

Couple weeks back, a faded ryder truck pulled up to the house and two guys working for some care agency (think meals on wheels) began to offload some three heavy boxes of crap. Now I don't know why they thought we needed the food, heck only thing I can come up with was my mom's having been in the hospital just after my dad passed away. Still, free food is free food right?

I'm not so sure that people think when they give to these things. Some really make me wonder about people in fact. I mean, who gives this...oh wait, that makes sense there. Give it away, let someone else deal with it.

Commentary, and my thoughts in ()'s.

Opening the first box, I find:

6 fruitcakes. One so hard that it made a heavy THUD when dropped upon the floor. (I think it expired in 1980...)

17 cans of, what I can best describe as bean crap. Mexican bean crap. Complete with tripe. (cow stomach and beans...yum. NOT!)

1 six pack of coke. New coke no less. (This is up on my shelf. Not about to drink it, and tempted to EBay it off)

1 2 liter of Tab cola. (Nasty stuff. Didn't know they still made it.)

4 cans of condensed milk, 1 of which was empty. No leaks in the box though... (I was robbed! Space aliens took my milk!)

2 boxes of expensive cookies. (Not that I'm complaining, but now I'm hooked on the things and CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE!)

1 Loaf of bunny bread. I don't know when it expires, but I know the type. It'll never spoil. (No lie there. Too many preservatives)

3 bricks of cheese. All expired sometime last year. One brick leaks. (Leaking cheese?)

2 bible tracts. (can I eat this too?)

1 bill. (someone forgot to pay their phone...)

Assorted bits that I think were cookies at one point. And one dead cricket. I mourned the cricket.

Opening the second and third box I find:

The entire thing is stuffed full of MRE's and C rations. Now if I remember correctly, C rations went out sometime in the sixties, but these look older. I've only opened a few though, and I must admit that the potted meat (I hope it's meat) isn't half bad and the MRE's are very nice. (Meals Ready to Eat. Army Food) I may have to get more of these.

The army food, I know where it came from. Local armory had to swap out its stock. It's the other stuff that gets me. I mean really, who puts a bible tract into a food gift? Or better yet, why the leaky cheese and the missing milk?
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Lovely items you got there.

I'm surprised you ate ANY of it.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I know how you feel about the cookies. You know those nutri-grain bars? Hate them. They're disgusting. But years ago, when I was a kid, my father lost his job, and for a couple of months, we had to get our food from the food bank (and wash our clothes in the tub because our washing machine died). Our food bank rations came with apricot nutri-grain bars, and they were awesome. They were the only flavour of nutri-grain I've ever found favourable. It's probably been 15 years since and I've never found them since.

Actually I was wondering- Why would you accept food if you don't know why you're getting it? Maybe a mistake was made? Although whoever is supposed to be getting it is only deprived of canned meat, dead crickets, and other strange items. I love fruit cake, by the way, I'd be thrilled.
      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Got a call earlier today, about twenty minutes after I posted that I think, from our pastor. Apparently the whole thing was his idea. It's stuff from our church's food bank.
        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

They need Anoki volunteering for them:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=22574
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
            6 fruitcakes. One so hard that it made a heavy THUD when dropped upon the floor. (I think it expired in 1980...)
            Those things expire?!

I would think the food bank checks donations...most banks I've donated to specifically say nothing perishable (which I would assume includes cheese).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
              Assorted bits that I think were cookies at one point. And one dead cricket. I mourned the cricket.
              Poor cricket

maybe he drank the milk after eating the cookies?
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                My dad is particularly proud of his fruitcake. He makes his from scratch and everybody on his side of the family seems to love it. He knows better than to try and give any to me since I don't care much for the stuff. He will make me apple pie with real apples and that makes me happy.

Geez, most of the stuff you got in that box sounds like it came from the local u-save market the next town over from where I live. I mean, it's one thing if I get a can of Spaghetti-O's and it expired a couple of weeks before I bought it (hey, it's still good), but I refuse to buy anything there that's so far gone that I can say, "Hey, remember in 1995 when x happened? Can you believe this is as old as that?" Granted I haven't seen anything that's that far expired at the u-save yet, but it could happen.
                Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

bleh. some of that list sounded like crap... except for the MREs.

there's a little store here that carries surplus ones (and my current bf loves them) .. .not sure how long the expired c-rations last, but the brown plastic ones should be ok.

the heater bags aren't really worth using though cos most of the food can be eaten cold. but... two warnings. 1) The food can make you gassy, and 2) they have lots of caloires and few veggies, mostly starches, meats, and fats.

and um, don't let kids play with the heaters, they can be dangerous. (i dated a marine once who told me stories on what he use to do with his heaters... mainly he um, weaponized them)
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 01-17-2008, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Maybe the missing milk was supposed to be in a can labeled "evaporated milk"?

*ducks thrown things*
                    Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      and um, don't let kids play with the heaters, they can be dangerous. (i dated a marine once who told me stories on what he use to do with his heaters... mainly he um, weaponized them)
                      Just curious, but what sort of things did he do to the heaters to weaponize them?
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                        Maybe the missing milk was supposed to be in a can labeled "evaporated milk"?

*ducks thrown things*
                        You know, I just realized that I have a can of Coke, vended from the machine, that was completely empty in a pristine can. I keep it as an oddity, but I think it is still at the parents place.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

mmmmmm army food (exarmy now airforce uncle he hooked me on army food and korean.... wait no forget you saw that hes never been to korea... *shifty etes and runs*)

Comment

he put them in water bottle... full of gasoline. i believe the bottle cap gouged someone in the face. I asked another marine if that's even possible and the reply was, "I preferred 2 heaters in a gatorate bottle full of water."

and... current bf explained the years for rations to me this morning.
                            C rations are from WW2 (yum, 60 year old food!), K rations are from Vietnam (ok food that's approx my age).

Comment

Mmmm, MREs. One of the best things of the service was the MREs!

While I was serving in Kuwait, that was all I ate. I worked nights and the only meal I ate was midnight meal and the dining hall passed out MREs. Heh, the meals had 3000 calories so I it kept me full for 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X