This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joys of matinee movies

Since I don't work til 3, my mom and I sometimes go do things beforehand - shopping, eating, catching an early matinee movie at the little theatre near my apartment before I do go to work. Today, we went for breakfast then went to see Atonement, which was fantastic, by the by.

*Background info: The theatre building as a whole is a bit old and rather small, but still well-maintained. The theatres themselves (all 8 of them) have non-stadium seating (meaning if someone sits directly in front of you, it's hard to see the whole screen), seats that are squeaky and close together, and a much smaller capacity than most movie theatres today.*

When we entered the theatre, there were a few people scattered about, and being our considerate selves, mom and I seated ourselves towards the middle, at least a few rows away from anyone else, and got comfy.

Almost immediately, a group of about 4-6 very loud women, all about mid-forties to mid-fifties, file in, and proceed to seat themselves directly in front of mom and I, in spite of MANY other open seats. They giggle and chat, even though the previews are starting and I want to watch them. Mom and I move over to the end of our row so no one is directly in front of us, and figure that's that.

A few minutes later, some more women come in, and join the group. They too are noisy, whining that it's *gasp* too dark in the movie theatre, rustling about, etc. They sit in the formerly empty seats in front of mom and I, so we move back a few rows. I make a not-so-subtle comment about how noisy they are, and make sure they hear me.

A few minutes after that, while the women who are already seated are very loudly voicing opinions about various previews, more of them show up. They now have an entire row filled, plus a seat in the row behind them. They continue with their chatting, while I make another not-so-subtle comment to my mother about the fact that "some people" don't seem to have consideration enough to be quiet in a movie theatre.

Once the film got about 5 minutes in, they mostly quieted down, thank goodness. However, about halfway through, one woman's cell went off. She managed to quiet it pretty quickly, but not 5 minutes later, another in the group has her cell ring, and actually answers it in the theatre. I loudly say "wow" and laugh to myself. She hangs up.

Other than that, it was a good movie, and a generally peaceful experience, aside from the old man seated towards the back who occasionally would yawn VERY loudly, then cough a bit and return to silence. I'm not kidding...it was like a moaning yawn...I've never heard one that loud before.

The thing that irks me is that I do my very best to be considerate, especially when I could ruin an experience someone else paid for. Mom and I made a point to go to breakfast first, so we could do our socializing there, and always try to sit so we don't block anyone's view or annoy them, if possible. Why can't other people exhibit "common" courtesy more often?
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

I hate that. So very much. People in theaters need to simply STFU. Period.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Once, a girlfriend at the time and I were at the movies. A group of teenagers came in. They were okay until the movie actually started. Then they became loud and inconsiderate. Someone told them to be quite. They of course said F**K YOU, and then started being loud again. This went on 3 more times. Finally someone went to the manager, told him what is going on. He went in there and asked the teenagers what is going on. Everyone else in the theater, said what really happened. The manager kicked out the teenagers and when they raised up to leave, everyone in the theater started to clap. For our trouble, the manager gave everyone free vouchers for a free movie. I just remember that last part.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

The thing that gets me is why would anyone pay $8-10 for a movie only to be loud and obnoxious with their friends. Not only is it inconsiderate its just........well, just inconsiderate!

Comment

I'll admit that sometimes I talk during a movie, but I make damn sure only the person I'm talking to can hear me.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Talking during a movie is one thing if you are going to see the latest kids movie where about a bajillion 2-8 year olds will also be to watch it and snort pixie sticks.

But if you are near me in the theater while I am trying to watch a movie (not a kids movie) say the new Rambo/AVP/Mutant SC eater from Mars flick, I will tell you nicely the first time to "SHHHHHHH", if you keep it up or get all upity I will tell you the second time to "Shut up allready" the third time is met with a "Shut the fuck up", and if you get confrontational I just have to stand up. Hint, I'm 6'6", that shuts people up and ends the problem right there, See anger issues do come in handy!
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
              Once, a girlfriend at the time and I were at the movies. A group of teenagers came in. They were okay until the movie actually started. Then they became loud and inconsiderate.
              lol, similar story, only my boyfriend is a bit more agressive than to go get a manager. he just stood up and yelled at the kids to shut the hell up or get out of the damn theater. they shut up. he's just a scrawny nerd, but has a scary voice, so in the dark he musta scared the shit outta them.

and to digilite. i admit we talk during horror/scifi, but more along the lines of "gawddamit when are they gonna kill whiny chick#3" or "omg i want one of those" more than random highschooler gossip. (and didnt Wolf kick ass in avp2? "black-ops predator" lol)

sometimes talking can be funny though. i remember wehn we went to see cloverfeild, at one part where the camera blacked out some guy yelled out "aw man, i hate it when the battery dies!" or hell, at SoaP opening night, the entire theater hollered "i am so sick of these..." well you know the rest.
              Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                Why can't other people exhibit "common" courtesy more often?
                I guess it's because people feel that the world revolves around them and so they are entitled to do whatever they please with no negative repercussions. That reminds me of a story my grandpa told me. He went to a similar theater and some guy walked in with a huge 10 gallon hat on(the GIANT cowboy hat that could pry fit three heads in it). He sat down right in front of my grandpa and completely blocked his view. My grandpa asked politely if he would take his hat off so that he could see the screen. The guy basically said screw you. So my grandpa went and told the manager and the asshat got thrown out of the theater.
                We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

On the other hand, audience participation movies can be quite fun, too. At my school it was Princess Bride, which was so popular that they would regularly sell out three shows in the first twenty people.

Comment

This is exactly why I rarely go to the movies. People are so rude and entitlement-minded that it is almost impossible to watch a movie in peace.

We made the mistake of going to see Cloverfield on Monday(not realizing all the schools were closed for MLK day). It was so crowded, the woman in front of us kept talking on her cell phone and the woman behind us kept complaining that the movie was jumpy and all done on a camcorder and why did it look like that and how come everything was not explained in detail for her(Um, HELLO? did she even look at a preview before deciding on this particular movie?). She basically just sat and complained for the whole movie.

Then a woman in my row had to get all motion sick and run out of the theater(oops, that was me - how embarrassing).

Comment

I've been on both sides of this issue. My friend (who works at this theater) and I came in at 4 on a Saturday and sat in the very back row. Not even the previews had started yet, it was still playing Coke commercials and actor interviews. My friend and I were chatting at a low conversational level. Mostly empty theater. Some middle-aged dude and his wife came in and sat almost directly in front of us. Let us recap here: afternoon on a Saturday, during the pre-previews, in front of two college students, who are already talking. There were maybe three other couples there, in a 100-200 seat theater. This goes on for maybe five minutes. Keep in mind, not even the previews have started yet. The lights are still full-bright. Then the dude turned around and says, "Excuse me, shut up." I just stared at him with my jaw dropped. He goes on about how inconsiderate we are, and he didn't pay (matinee prices ) to hear us. My friend was starting to turn red, and I didn't want her to get in trouble with her managers, so I cut him off with "We'll be quiet when the movie starts." He looked at me and said "Really? You promise?" I shot him my best withering glare and said "Yeah. That's what I said." He turns around to face the screen and my friend mutters loud enough for him to hear, "Couldn't he hear you? He can eavesdrop well enough." Then the lights dimmed, the previews came on, and we stopped talking.

Another time, I sat behind a group of three high-schoolers who talked to each other the entire time. I tried to be tolerant, since the theater was almost full and the conversation was mainly two of them explaining what had just happened to the other. I.E. "that's his stepmom right there" or "she's dumping him". About two-thirds through, the slow one started talking about some guy they all knew. She'd say one sentence and her friends would wait a minute to reply one sentence. Like I would forget they'd just been talking. That's right, I am a goldfish. After about five times back and forth, I leaned forward and said "SHH!" right in the dumb one's ear. That shut them up for fifteen whole minutes. Then back to the low-conversational-level questions about the plot of the movie.
                      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't mind low-level chatting, related to the film but not ruining it. And Sylvia, I'm completely with you on your first story - I think people just need to pay more attention when they enter the theatre and base where they're going to sit on who is already there. Don't sit near someone (i.e. my brother and I who are already rowdy) if you want a quiet experience, and if you're going to be loud, go sit in the back, away from people, as you and your friend did.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

oy one of the things i love about being in japan...

first of all the seats - at least at the theatre in Daiei mall - are assigned seating. you pick your seat when you buy the ticket.
                          second - people are very quiet. it's nice. (in fact most times, the people making noise are one of us gaijin)

the seats are a little small though. but that's not surprising

Comment

Movie theaters in the Philippines are noisy, you just expect it. Cell phones, the works. Which is why I watch bootleg DVDs (try to find an original here, I dare you!) at home.

While I still lived in the States, I nearly bought plans for and built a cell jammer. Yes, I know they're illegal. So, I only planned use it during the movie when someone's phone rang. Moved before I did.

Once I sat down in the next to back row of a theater. Nobody around me. Bunch of teens up front, so I thought, OK, let's minimize the impact. So, what happens? Three teen girls sit behind me. Probably 14-15 years old.

They talk during previous, OK, I'm going to wait and see. I love previews, but I'm not going to start out a jerk.

Movie starts, they talk louder. So, I ask them to please be quiet.

They shut up for maybe five minutes. So, I ask them again, politely.

Finally, after a few times doing this, I just look at them and say "will you three just shut the fuck up".

That kept them quiet through the whole movie.

Afterwards, one said "Why were you so mean to us?"

"Well, if you bitches had just..."

All three gasped and one said "What did you say?"

"I said, if you three bitches had just kept quiet and remained polite during the movie, this wouldn't have happened."

One was nearly in tears, now I don't like to see girls cry, ever. But, geez, we're at a movie, I was very patient, very polite at first. "Why are you so mean?"

I just had to leave before I really got nasty.
                            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

On Saturday night we kicked a group of 20-odd teenagers out of PS I Love You on Saturday night for being noisy. They were warned and then told to leave after they continued being noisy. When they said 'no, we're not leaving,' they were threatened with the police, so left PDQ. This arose from a customer complaint and the staff keeping a wary eye on what was obviously a large group of noisy kids.
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                              X