Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumbass of the year? Don't try to sell something you do not own.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbass of the year? Don't try to sell something you do not own.

I got this email this morning:

Hi,

I own the .COM version of your domain name allgermanshepherds.net and I want to sell it.

I was wondering if you would be interested in buying this domain for $195 seen as though you own the same domain but in another extension ?

Let me know
    Thanks
    Names removed to protect the stupid.

Seems legit, right? It does until you do some snooping, but first I'll give youy a little back story.

There are services that snatch up domains as they expire and sell them for a fee (usually $60), this is called backordering. The two domains were picked up by the same backorder service and while the .com went to auction and sold for over $100, the .net was ignored and the price dropped, eventually to $15 where I was able to get it.

At first I thought this was the person who picked it up but when I checked the registration information, the domain, allgermanshepherds.com was NOT registered. Guess what I did?

I went to my registrar (GoDaddy) and quickly registered it for $7.15 (a savings of almosat $188!).

IMO - this is very shady, yet nothing illegal. He was hoping for me to say yes, then he's register it and sell it to me for a very quick porofit. Guess what, he was wrong.

The great part of this is that since he did not own it, he has no legal claim to it. I registered it and I have it pointed to a legitemate site, no malicious intent here. He also cannot claim ownership of it since he does not own it nor can he claim that I stole his idea since I owned the .net LONG before he sent me this email. If anything, I could file a complaint against him for malicious intent (registering a domain that is similar to another domain to benefit from it, like registering gogle.com). Nah, I won't do that, but what I might do is switch the domain to private registration and play along with his ruse.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

one of those google typos takes you to a lingerie website

but IMO, this person is not a dumbass, it's genious, this person has probably made a few grand off of this little scheme, and all they're doing is tricking people who are too stupid to verify the facts.

besides, the person who designs the blue prints for Wal-Mart stores is the dumbass of the year

Comment

Working...
    X