This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishtowels pre-tested for your convenience

So, today I took my legally-blind, deaf in one ear mother out to do the weekly grocery shopping. Up one aisle and down the next all the way to the soap aisle where, amongst the small display of dishtowels, what should I find but one that had apparently been used to mop up one more doozy of a nosebleed?

It had been there long enough to get crusty, too. The towel was originally blue, but by the time I saw it it was covered in rusty, scabby streaks, as was the little cardboard placard it was attached to. The person who used it had had a lot of blood on their fingers too, you could tell because there were clear fingerprints on the cardboard.

My mother and I looked at each other and I asked her, "Is it a bad thing that this doesn't surprise me?"

"People are disgusting," she said. "It doesn't surprise me either."

I went and got the manager, who came to retrieve it with a plastic bag over his hand, assuring me as though he was afraid I'd pitch a fit and complain to corporate that it "might not be blood, but let's not take any chances."

I think it's a bad thing that that didn't surprise me either. I would bet you good money that there are plenty of people who, had they found a bloody dishtowel on display, hung there by some nasty asshole earlier, would have demanded freebies and raised holy hell. The word "unsanitary" would likely have been bandied about numerous times, along with such old favorites as "public safety," "discount," and "never shopping here again."

...Unless of course, to ease the trauma, coupons were involved.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Me, I'm wondering how the bloody towel could have been left to sit like that so long.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It doesn't surprise me, either. :sigh:

Gotta agree with IPF. How could it stay there that long?

Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Is it bad that stories like these no longer surprise me?

I swear at the local Wal-Mart, people try EVERYTHING before buying them. Even products that come with a tester....nope, gotta open every other single bottle of perfume or makeup and render it useless to sell. That bothers me that I can never find a full bottle of perfume or have to dig back several boxes of makeup before I can find one that hasn't been used already.

Last Saturday, I was getting some toilet bowl cleaner, and as I passed the Swiffer section, I saw someone had opened a box and used one of the duster rags on the floor to test it out.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          Is it bad that stories like these no longer surprise me?

I swear at the local Wal-Mart, people try EVERYTHING before buying them. Even products that come with a tester....nope, gotta open every other single bottle of perfume or makeup and render it useless to sell. That bothers me that I can never find a full bottle of perfume or have to dig back several boxes of makeup before I can find one that hasn't been used already.

Last Saturday, I was getting some toilet bowl cleaner, and as I passed the Swiffer section, I saw someone had opened a box and used one of the duster rags on the floor to test it out.
          Oh, am not surprised about that. One of my coworkers actually caught a woman opening a package of Maxi Pads because she "wanted to know how absorbinate they were." Ewww...not that it's uncommon. I'm always finding opened boxes with missing pads or tampons.

I've caught a guy using nail clippers and tossing them back into the bin. I made him go back and buy them when he tried leaving the area. I got some sob (literally) story about how he didn't know what came over him and how he had never done anything like that before. Yeah, right. Like I'd believe that.
          Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Working...
          X