This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline departure times: The lying game

This morning, after I got off work I stopped at a gas station and picked up a small bottle of milk, came home, and ate two bowls of cereal while I watched an episode of CSI: NY.

Why is this noteworthy, you ask. Well, my original plans were to have gone instead to the local hotel where my boyfriend, who currently lives in Oklahoma, was staying, cuddle up, and slumber peacefully wrapped in the embrace of a man who bears a striking resemblance to Taye Diggs.

However, it was not to be and I got cereal and CSI instead. This is because the airline he was using to get from Tulsa to Asheville decided to play "Guess the Departure Time" with its passengers and thus he missed his flight.

The problem's worse because he was calling them all day asking them what time they expected the flight to leave, because yesterday apparently Oklahoma was getting hammered with some fairly serious winter weather. All day, whenever he called, they told him they expected the flight to leave late if at all. And so, when he arrived at the airport on time for the scheduled departure, he was expecting to have a wait.

Turned out to be a 24-hour wait because -- surprise! -- the flight left early.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. He had to get a hotel room, which ate into the money he'd set aside for us to go to decent restaurants while he was here. And this evening, when the next flight was to have left, he arrived -- again on time -- only to be told that tonight the flight wouldn't be leaving at all because Detroit, where the flight was to have connected to Asheville, was getting the winter weather now. And until he got extremely and publicly angry, they were planning to basically tell him to lump it. But because he got angry, they merely shunted him to another airline, with a connection in balmy Houston.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Airlines and tourism in general are thankless industries, but really, if this is how you operate, you're only cranking out SC's by the thousands at one fell swoop.

All I do know is that we won't be using that initial airline again.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Ugh, that reminds me of my airline experience around Thanksgiving. Flight was delayed and they kept changing the time. Was supposed to leave at 12:25 originally, then 1:00, then 1:30, then 2:00. We didn't taxi out until 2:30. I missed my connecting flight because of that. To make matters worse, before the first plane left, I was told that my connecting flight was delayed and it wasn't. I would've been stuck in Kansas City for two days if my wonderful and incredible boyfriend didn't drive hour hours to come and get me.

I will say that the free hotel room was quite nice.

Comment

Something similar happened when MidWest Airlines went on strike in summer 2005.

We planned our trip to Seattle accordingly, because the strike was NOT supposed to start until we'd gotten back. No such luck. They started it sooner. All flights were delayed several hours or cancelled or changed multiple times.

The cherry on the cake was the fact that there were workers picketing OUTSIDE at 12:00 am at the Minneapolis airport, right where the plane connects to the gate. It took almost an extra HOUR to get them to move and get the plane to the gate. I wanted to hurt them all.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

so did the plane leave insanely early because personally i would have showed up two hours before departure

Comment

While I'm sad to hear that you and your boyfriend were not allowed to attempt to repopulate the planet ... I'm going to play Mr. One Up here.

I was leaving Manila .. for weeks, the Philippine and Chinese government had been "debating" terms for Chinese airlines to continue to land in Manila. I think someone high up in the Philippine government got upset because rather suddenly we were all told ... sorry, all flights by Chinese-based/owned airlines are cancelled until further notice.

The airport was utter chaos with people running from one ticket counter to another trying to get a flight, any flight, out of Manila.

That was one one and only time I was thankful for flying Northwest Airlines.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            While I'm sad to hear that you and your boyfriend were not allowed to attempt to repopulate the planet
            Is it wrong that I snickered at this point? I don't think the attempt would be very successful with those two

I do have to say it sucks that happened though. I guess I've always been lucky. Any time I've flown the plane hasn't been so much as delayed.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Don't you know that airlines don't give a shit if you get to your destination ontime? All they care about is $$$$$. ONCE they have your green stuff in their greedy hands then they could give a rat's ass how you get to your destination.
              Personally, I'd rather take a train or drive.

Comment

I was flying out of Boston over Christmas, a few days after a snowstorm. There had been cancellations up the wazoo the day before, but Delta promised they had things sorted out. After a 45-minute weather delay in Boston (supposed to depart at 4:30), I was told that I would make my 7 PM connection in NY. Cue another 45 minutes of sitting on the ground (we were told that this was in fact a Delta screwup), missed connection and associated rebooking nightmare (I think I managed to get the last seat on the last flight from LGA to Portland OR that weekend), and $250 that I really did not have for a hotel/food/etc.

I prefer trains for short-haul trips (Boston to NY/NJ/DC). Sure it takes longer and may be more expensive, but you get more leg room, scenery, food, no screening hassles, etc. My mom and I took the train from Boston to Albuquerque once, the Boston-Chicago leg was awesome (brand shiny new train) but the Chicago-Albuquerque leg left something to be desired (older rig, smaller berths).

Of course, my absolute preferred method of transportation would be a TARDIS
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

HHNC, I'm sorry to hear that. :comforting pats: there, there™®

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Is it wrong that I snickered at this point? I don't think the attempt would be very successful with those two
                  I snickered, too.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Next time something like that happens try to invoke the 240 Rule.
                    http://http://airtravel.about.com/cs.../a/rule240.htm

Comment

I knew there was a rule of sorts covering airline issues, but wasn't sure exactly what it was. Thanks for that

(IMO, the airline became responsible for everyone stranded from that connecting flight once the agent said that all connections after 6:45 PM would be makeable...I was able to get the miles refunded for the upgrade that I should have had, but nothing more)
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

At any time did the airline or anyone inform your BF that the check in time is 90 minutes prior to departure?

Assuming there were no extremely long lines at airport security, this would have eliminated his missing the plane because it left early.

Oh, and rule 240 wouldn't apply here, unfortunately.

It sucks though. Sorry it happened to him.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          I almost drenched my monitor in Sunkist Orange soda.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
                            Next time something like that happens try to invoke the 240 Rule.
                            http://http://airtravel.about.com/cs.../a/rule240.htm
                            According to my internet sources, that isn't in effect anymore.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Becky...

Each airline still has a variation of rule 240 in their carriage contract. But there are specific instances in which it can be invoked.

I re-issue tickets on occasion and have to put 'rule-240' in the endorsement box on the electronic ticket.

I can type it all in, but I'd bore you all to death.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                              X