This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting or SC? You tell me.

So, in between my MRI and my neurosurgeon appt, I decided to dash over to the mall and get my hair cut. It's 2pm on a Monday, I have plenty of time, what harm?

I walk into El Cheapo hair cutty place. There's a man in one of the chairs with the cape and a half cut look about him. The stylist is talking product with a woman.... okay. She finishes, and gives me a rather... unfriendly look. I told her I wanted go get a cut. She tells me there's a 15 minute wait. Walk around and come back.

Uh... k.

I went to take a peek at the formal dresses next door, and a perusal of the small bit of shoes in my size at Payless. I go back, and take a seat in the little waiting area, with the style magazines.

"We're not ready for you yet."

Blink blink. "Okay."

Another stylist comes in, and the person in front of me is sent back. A guy comes in, trying to get bumped up. She pretty much railroads him, saying there's three people in front of him, and a 45 minute wait. He tries again, and you could feel the waves of frosty. Not that I mind, being the person who would be bumped.

She turned to me. "You can go on back."

"Back?"

"To the hair washing station."

"I just want to get a cut."

"I still need to wet it down and get conditioner through it."

"I just want a cut. Everyone's always just taken a spray bottle to wet it down, and cut it."

"I've been here a year, and I've never done it any other way. It's too long. It'll only by $15.99."

"Are you saying you won't cut my hair without that?"

"No.., but.."

I'm not going to pay extra for something that no one else has ever had to do. Being cranky is one thing. Wanting to subject me to those hair washing sinks (hard lip right on my scar? Um.. no.) is another. Charging for it, and being cranky is another. So I left. Too bad that guy had already left.

So, who was in the wrong?
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Strike one: Attitude. Being generally unfriendly, taking your custom for granted, and being rude about the wait. Strike two: Poor service. Failing to ask you what you want, failing to give you the service that you asked for, and failing to treat you as her social equal. Strike three: Scam. Trying to con you into buying something you don't want, and continuing to press on with the scam even after being called on it.

Aaaaaand she's out!
    Last edited by Sylvia727; 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM. Reason: typos
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've never had to get my hair washed and conditioned by the stylist. I often do but that's because I quite enjoy it.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Sounds pretty damn fishy to me. Occasionally when I had haircuts in the past they would wash my hair before cutting it, but never condition it, and it was never a prerequisite for a haircut.

I fail to see the SC aspect in this either. It's not sucky to refuse a good or service somebody is trying to push on you.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Definitely a sighting. In fact, being a little pushy or rude back would've been fine in my book given how she's totally full of it. I've often had my hair cut without the sink (although, I do love it so).
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth badgegirl007 View Post
            I worked in a salon where prices were not ala carte, the wash and style was all included with the cut. If a lady with hair down to the middle of her back and enough for three heads told me she just wanted it sprayed down, I honestly would tell her it would be easier for me to just wash it.
            I think it's very different when it's included in the price. In that situation, you're not trying to upsell, you're trying to make your life and hers easier for the same cost to her.

My vote is definitely "sighting" and no suckiness on the OP's part.

If she'd been polite, explaining about the scar would have been a good thing, but as the hairdresser was rude, the OP was 110% justified in taking her business elsewhere.
            Last edited by Kelly Lynne; 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM. Reason: Changed "customer" to OP so there would be no doubt who I was referring to.

Comment

Sighting all the way.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Kelly Lynne View Post
                the OP was 110% justified in taking her business elsewhere.
                Thanks everyone, for making me feel better!

I just wish there was somewhere else to take my business to!

Comment

Quoth badgegirl007 View Post
                  If a lady with hair down to the middle of her back and enough for three heads told me she just wanted it sprayed down, I honestly would tell her it would be easier for me to just wash it. Not only would it make my job easier but it would be a lot less painful for her (plus it can take a good 5 - 10 minutes to spray all that hair down). Plus, spraying with the spray bottle does not really remove a curl pattern; you do get a better cut if washed.
                  And if you explained that to me, I'd nod and say 'okay, you're the expert' and let you wash it. But someone who can't be bothered to explain and just acts like the Queen of Shampoo? Nup.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned this aspect:

With an attitude like that dresser's, are you sure she's going to cut it how you want it? Or try to fix it if it comes out poorly? I think it was good you decided to not put up with that.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Which is pretty much what my Mom said when I called her to rant.

Comment

Smart lady, that one.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          I'm surprised that no one's mentioned this aspect:

With an attitude like that dresser's, are you sure she's going to cut it how you want it? Or try to fix it if it comes out poorly? I think it was good you decided to not put up with that.
                          Broom, I can't talk about the others, but for me that's a "goes without saying" type of dealy thing.

I iz ar-tik-u-lit toodaaaaaaaaaaay.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've had my hair cut at a few different places. My hair gets kind of curly when you spray it (I actually let my hair get wet when it rains because it looks pretty as it dries), so it MUST be washed in order to cut it. I only go to one place to get my hair cut now. $22 for wash, cut, style? I'll take it . The cheap-o places around here just spray your hair and snip for $12. No scalp massage, no lovely chat with a friendly hairdresser, no beautiful styling when it's done. I like my stylist. My mom and sister go to her too now because she always does such a great job. I say, when you find someone who knows what they're doing, stay with them as long as you can. I only hope that if I get married around here someday that she'll be available to do my wedding party's hair.

So Tech Angel... I hope that you can find someone worth giving the money to to cut your hair. And you were completely in the right there... she was being sucky.
                            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                            The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                              My hair gets kind of curly when you spray it (I actually let my hair get wet when it rains because it looks pretty as it dries)
                              Are you sure you're not me? :looking suspiciously at you:
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X