This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G*dd*mn Follett...

This is a rant. You've been warned. I use a company name many times. I am not affiliated with this company, except that I loathe them from the blackest most foul pits of my soul.

My university leases space to Follett, a company that sells pretty much whatever it wants. Generally, though, these are college-student-necessity type things. Like textbooks.

Follett, because they know they have the sole rights to have stores on campus, then gouge students terribly, especially on things like textbooks. Especially new textbooks.

The method of their jackassery is to buy the textbooks that professors tell them students will need (books are chosen by professors before the semester begins) at wholesale prices, and then sell them to students at retail prices. This sounds eminently reasonable, and should work out fairly well. But it doesn't. Why?

Follett knows they have exclusive rights to sell on campus. They also know that most of the books they stock aren't stocked anywhere else nearby, and that online sites (B&N, Amazon, eBay) take weeks to ship, costing students valuable time while their textbooks are in transit.

In short, Follett (and their online site through the university's website, eFollett) has a near-monopoly on textbooks. Many professors don't like that their students are paying upwards of $200 for a $150 textbook (which is far from unheard of), and so have nearby retailers (there are two or three independent bookstores in town) stock their books instead, and don't even tell Follett what books they're using. However, for students without cars or with tight schedules, getting into town and waiting in line for hours (literally) to buy books is hardly convenient.

This year, all of my books were to be bought from Follett. I decided that after last semester's fiasco, I wouldn't buy anything from them that cost more than it did online from B&N (I have a membership). I compared the price, and found that two of the books, if bought used, were cheaper from Follett (though only by a few bucks, $15 or $20 at the most). I ordered all but those two from B&N, and ordered the other two from Follett to be picked up. All was well.

I picked up my books from Follett and had no problems, I was almost sorry about the horrible things I'd thought about them. Until...

Friday I got sick. Badly. Fever in the 103 range, vomiting, headaches, runny nose, cough, you name it. As such, I've spent the past few days recovering and trying to do as much homework as I can online. Part of that homework required the use of my brand-spankin'-used Organic Chem textbook. I opened up the first few chapters, and noted the crisp, clean, nobody-must-have-even-used-this-book pages. Then when I got to the assigned chapter... Disaster!

Nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of EVERY PAGE (excepting title pages and problems pages) is BRIGHT PINK HIGHLIGHTER. The highlighting doesn't bother me so much, except that it's 1) sloppy, 2) seemingly random, and 3) EVERYWHERE. This book, had it been looked at before being bought back (Follett buys books back for up to half of their original cost, and then resells them at 90% cost again for however many years the books are in use) would have been rejected immediately. In short, I spent $120 on a $136-new-from-B&N book, the value of which is precisely dick.

Of course I'm going to take the book back, point out that the book is ruined beyond any reasonably salable condition. I'm then going to ask to exchange it for an identical book, straight across, but preferably one that isn't full of stupidity. If they won't let me do that, I'll ask to pay the difference and just get a new book from them. However, I don't think they have any new copies of this particular book in stock, so I might have to just try and get my money back and order it from B&N and hope for the best. Judging by Follett's history, I'm not expecting much.

Sorry that was another of my epically long posts. I might be back later looking for advice so anyone with any ideas, have at it.
    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

This is one reason I'm glad to be out of college!

Note to the wise, though: if you have enough time, try ordering your books from half.com, I got all my books from there during my 4 years of college and saved a TON of money!

Comment

Unfortunatley that's every college and every college bookstore.

I remember quite a few books that the bookstore was selling for $250 used I would get from Amazon for $125 new.

And my wife and I both would get books split into 2-3 easily carried books instead of 1 20 pound sucker.

As far as students not having transport, how far of a walk is it? Or can they find a ride from someone? I'd see if the professors would be willing to do a book drive before the semester. Where they literally drive groups of students to the store for their books.

Comment

Aw man. I feel extremely lucky, because my college is one of the very few in the US that still uses the rental textbook system. Which means a set rental fee is included in tuition (isn't very high either), and you only have to buy a book if the prof. is requiring more than two books be read.
        Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Got my two books this semester, like Custard Chick, on half.com, from the same seller (a massive seller, whose specialty is used textbooks), got combined shipping, got the books before classes started, and got them for about half the cost of new retail books. Both books are in good shape, with minimal marking; obviously, someone actually skimmed the books before selling them. I checked B&N and Amazon new and used, and some other places, and this was the best deal.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I bought most of my books online. I never bought used versions because of the possibility that it would have highlighter or writing or whatever on the pages. I can't stand having anything in my books.

I personally bought international versions whenever I could. Yes, I know, shame on me... but the way I see it is if the booksellers offered me a cheaper, softcover black and white edition, I would buy that... but they only offer it overseas. So, overseas I order. What's exceptionally sad about that is that it took less time to get my two books from India than it did to get my book from Connecticut-- I live in Massachusetts!!!!
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

I buy and sell my books on half.com. I save a lot of money, and I can turn around and basically sell it for the same price.

Plus, the majority of the time I buy a book used on half.com, I get it and its brand new.

Comment

Does your college have either:

a) A used textbook store on or near campus?
                b) A students association that holds a used book fair?
                c) Other students willing to sell their used texts?

If any of those options exist, they can really cut down on the price of a textbook.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

At the college I just graduated from we had a bookstore run by Follett. I hate them with a passion. However, I ended up buying my books there anyway since the school usually didn't put the book lists out until right before classes began. I would not take my books back there, however. I sold them through half.com and got about 90% of the money I spent on the books back when I sold them. Half.com wins when it comes to selling books.

The one thing I always hated about Follett was when the new edition of the books came out. Obviously they didn't want to buy the books back from other students since the books were "outdated." That's where half.com comes in handy. Your school may not be using the book anymore, however there usually is a school out there that is.
                  Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

I get my books from a store about a block away from my school. Hilariously it was a professor who told me about it saying that the bookstore at school "is run by idiots."

One interesting thing about book price is that every new year publishers make some little change or addition (Yes because that little detail about what type of paper is used is needed) every year in order to drive the selling price for students down. It's a shit practice.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

now I feel bad because we didnt buy books at my university...the library had them...we checked them out and returned them at the end of the semester...if we wanted to keep them, we would just buy them at that point.
                      "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                      X