Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't do it on purpose! (walk in clinic sighing)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't do it on purpose! (walk in clinic sighing)

After much harassment from SO and my sister, coupled with the fact that over the last 3 days I've gotten a total of 6 hours of sleep, I finally drug myself to the urgent care clinic. Diagnosis: acute bronchitis. I also gave the staff a scare because I was apparently standing with my bp being 79/30. Honestly, all I wanted to do at that point was sleep, and I kept telling them that I was feeling crappy, tired, cranky, and I think at one point asking for my sister or my mother.

But that's not my sighting. My sighting has to do with a certain person in the waiting room. The way the room is set up, there's a well waiting room, for people waiting for sick/minorly injured people. The rest of the waiting area is for us sick people. There was one guy sitting there who was yelling on his phone, asking someone for his work address, repeating over and over again that he needed it so he could get his shot. I guess he finally got it and sat down about 2 seats away from me, reading his pamphlet waiting for his shot and every time myself or another person coughed, sniffled or blew our nose, he'd give us this look of death.

It got to the point where he would start muttering under his breath "shut up. just shut the fuck up." I had a coughing fit and turned away to cough into a wad of kleenex. As I turned back, he glared at me and said loud enough for everyone to hear "Why the fucky do you have to cough like that? What the fuck is your problem?" Note: it's a deep cough, similar to a smoker's cough and somewhat productive, hence the wad of kleenex.

Now, little ol' me, I get really cranky when I'm sick, so I answered back without thinking: "Gee, I'm sorry that I got sick from someone's thoughtlessness and determination to come into work sick. Do you honestly think I'm doing this on purpose? Everyone here in the "sick" waiting room is here for a reason: we're sick, you jackass. If you're not sick, then you need to shut the fuck up yourself and wait in the "well" waiting room."

There was a moment of silence before a nurse came out to see what the fuss was. At that point, he goes off on the nurse about how all us sick people are being unfair and that I should be thrown out because I tried to get him sick. A couple spoke up and said that the guy was the one causing the trouble. The guy keeps going on about how I'm going to make him sick, blah blah blah.

Now it wouldn't have been so bad if he'd agreed to shut up, but he tried to go to the well waiting room, and she told him no, because he'd now been exposed to whatever we had, and therefore would contaminate anyone there.

The nurse has enough, goes behind the counter, hands him his co-pay back and tells him he can get his flu shot at another walk in clinic, he is not welcome if he's going to be abusive and offers a him a list of other clinics that offer shots. It think it was all us who were somewhat coherent enough to do to not wave him out.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

You should've coughed on him.
    The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

Oh man, I know how a bronchitis cough can be. My dad got it a few years ago BAD.

Only time I've ever heard him cry.

As for the guy, wtf? you walk into a -doctor's office- and don't expect SICK people?

Let's think about it for a second...

ow...my brain hurts now...
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth derangedperson View Post
        GBH with intent to infect or some such title, either way not the best of plans...
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

well I get glares FROM sick people on the bus because I wear a custom hello kitty S.A.R.S. mask. I'm perfectly healthy and would like to be staying that way, so I wear a mask to prevent it-some of the looks I get you'd think I was wearing a mask made from a puppy I gutted with my bare hands. And it's always the ones that are hacking up a lung that glare at me.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Well, they are trying to share after all...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              well I get glares FROM sick people on the bus because I wear a custom hello kitty S.A.R.S. mask.
              I've thought more than once about buying one of those face masks and wearing it everywhere, just because it seems like that would be fun.
              And, for other reasons that have nothing to do with contracting sicknesses...
              *shifty eyes*
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                GBH with intent to infect or some such title, either way not the best of plans...
                I meant it sarcastically. The guy was an idiot not to expect SICK PEOPLE in a clinic.
                The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

I meant it sarcastically. The guy was an idiot not to expect SICK PEOPLE in a clinic.
                  I agree. I'm impressed the clinic has a set up like that - I don't think I've seen seperate waiting rooms since I was still going to the pediatrician. I do think it's a fantastic idea - especially around this time of year, when people are sick AND others are just there to get a flu shot - to prevent getting sick.

Oh, and good on you for calling him out on being such a raging asshat. How stupid are you to walk into a clinic and not expect sick people - let alone to go off on someone for coughing, as if they can control it. Jerk.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

You know, if I really thought about it, I'd have told the nurse to warn the other clinics that he might be showing up. I am still stunned at his stupidity.

The set up is really pretty neat. The reception area is sealed off from the waiting rooms. There's one door that leads to the well room. It has a sign that reads something like "Those waiting for patients, please wait in here. You will be called when your party is done." At that point, they can go back out into the reception area to meet their party and leave.

The other room is set aside for the sick people and does have a sign that states that well people are entering at their own risk, and once they do, they may not enter into the well waiting room.

This isn't my first bout with bronchitis. It never failed when I was in school I would come down with it at least every couple of years. But this is by far the worst I've ever been sick. I haven't been this sick since I got strep about 6 years ago. I was pretty miserable then. Most of my bitchiness came from the serious lack of sleep. Which I can say I got a lot last night. Thank goodness for antibiotics and steriods.
                    Random conversation:
                    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Gawd. he sounds like one of my old co-workers.
                      Any time one of us came in sick he'd start WHINING... "If you get me sick, I'm going to be MAD."

Finally I just started laughing at him... "Do you really think threats will magically stop a germ from infecting you?"

He didn't say much after that.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Any time one of us came in sick he'd start WHINING... "If you get me sick, I'm going to be MAD."
                        I have two bosses like that. The one is being serious, but knows we can't do much but stay home.

The other one is a real prick about it. Gives us shit if we come in sick, prints out and hands us a flyer about how you "should stay home if you're sick"

I write on my flyer and hand back to him "We have no sick time, so if we want PTO we have to use one of our very few vacation days, and you give us shit and complain, and mock us when we aren't here, why should we stay home"

Funny he dropped it after that.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          haha. I do that. I threaten sick co-workers with a beat down once I get better if they get me sick. Of course I mean it all in jest.

Comment

I once worked with a guy...who claimed he never got sick. He was rather annoying, because the rest of us who *did* occasionally get sick...had to listen to him bitching us out about it. We were all told to "suck it up" and deal with it. But, if *he* got sick, you'd think the world was going to end. Seriously--he'd whine all day about it
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

hehe sharing's caring
                              I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Working...
                              X