This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused old man

Overheard while queueing up at the supermarket to buy some emergency supplies:

cashier: "Would you like a bag for that sir?"
    confused old man: "Sir? Sir?!? There's only two of us."

I have no idea what he was talking about there, for in fact there was only one of him.

That was unexpected.

Poor man.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Probably referring to the fact that it was just him and the cashier, and the formal address of sir wasn't suitable for an informal situation consisting of interaction between two people.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        Probably referring to the fact that it was just him and the cashier, and the formal address of sir wasn't suitable for an informal situation consisting of interaction between two people.
        Politeness is always suitable. Sir and Ma'am (or Miss) are used until one party has introduced themselves. As OP didn't know the old man from Adam, they acted appropriately.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'm impressed. My customer-ese translation skills are not so advanced.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Politeness is always suitable.
            I know that, and I think that too. He might be one of those people who doesn't like getting "sir'd" I don't get it either. I only translate, not explain reasoning.
            Quoth Boozy View Post
            I'm impressed. My customer-ese translation skills are not so advanced.
            Thanks. Trust me though, these came at a high price. My soul and my sanity are forfeit.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know that, and I think that too. He might be one of those people who doesn't like getting "sir'd" I don't get it either. I only translate, not explain reasoning.
              Ah, my mistake. I thought that was personnal opinion, not a translation. Humblest apologies.

I should note, I use sir and ma'am for one simple reason: Too many westerns with Sam Elliot in them when I was a kid. The man's got a way of filling one word with whole volumes of meaning that leaves me in awe.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X