This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wherein I lose my cool politely

The husband of a very good friend of mine is in town, and he's staying with us for a few days. Yesterday, TTO, FH (friend's hubby) and I decide to go watch Jumper at the cinema.

That movie is PG 10 if my memory serves me correctly. This fact is pertinent.

We're sitting in the movie, and I swear I hear a baby cry and get quickly hushed up. I look around, and don't see anything, and continue watching the movie.

During the really actiony parts of the movie, it's obviously quite loud. The baby starts to REALLY bawl. I look around, and spot the culprit. Some dumbass decided to bring their less than 2 years old baby to a movie!

Not only that, but they didn't take the kid out when they started crying! I mean, it's LOUD! It's SCARY! That kid must've been scared by the noise and the flashing lights; not to mention they're disturbing EVERYONE in the cinema. Add to that I'm sitting about 6 rows away from them, I cannot imagine how their neighbours felt.

Funnily enough, no-one said anything to them*. I'm hoping they'll grow some common sense and take the baby out, but they don't! And they sit there with their crying baby during the movie!

Halfway through the movie, I get up, go outside and grab an usher.

Me
    U: Usher

Me: "This movie is PG 10. Why is there a baby in the audience?"
    U: "Uh, I dunno"
    Me: "Well, the baby's crying and bugging everyone. Please can someone come deal with this?"
    U: "I'll take care of it"

I go back into the movie, and lo and behold, the kid is still crying, and NO-ONE comes to deal with it.

I'm fuming, TTO is fuming, BH is fuming, as are a whole bunch of other people. I was THISCLOSE to talking to the person myself, but TTO doesn't like it when I do that, so I didn't (later he told me he wished I had )

After the movie, I go to the same usher:

Me: "No-one came after I complained about the baby. What gives??"
    U: "you'll need to talk to the manager. He's there"
    *Points half heartedly in a vague direction*
    Me:

We track down the manager.

Me
    M: Manager

Me: Hi. I'd like my money back please. I was just in a movie that was PG 10, and someone let a patron in with a baby that was crying through the whole movie. I reported it to an usher, and he told me he would take care of it, but nothing happened.

M: I'm really sorry about that, but the ushers cannot leave their points. If they do, they lose their jobs.

Me: He could've flagged someone else down to fetch you. He didn't tell me anything like that, he said, and I quote "I'll take care of it". Also, how is it possible that people can bring BABIES into a cinema where the movie is not kiddie friendly? What's the point of age restrictions then?

M: *gives some half hearted story about how people buy tickets for one movie and sneak into another cinema - hard to swallow since the whole cinema was full!*

Me: I quite honestly don't see how that's my problem. It is your responsibility to make sure the restrictions are enforced, not mine. And we three would like our money back as our movie experience was ruined by a screaming baby.

So, TTO, BF and I now have 3 complimentary tickets. Yay. I would rather just have not had to go through that. I wanted to find the patron and give them a piece of my mind, but they got out the theatre before I did

* This is a typical South African thing. We'll rather sit and suffer through something than complain. We're wusses. I'm ashamed
    The report button - not just for decoration

You might point out to TTO the fact that people not speaking up is exactly why people have to suffer idiots like this. The idiots count on the fact that most people won't have the stones to say anything. Or will be too polite. Or whatever.

Way I see it, SOMEONE'S gonna be pissed off. I prefer it not be me.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      You might point out to TTO the fact that people not speaking up is exactly why people have to suffer idiots like this. The idiots count on the fact that most people won't have the stones to say anything. Or will be too polite. Or whatever.

Way I see it, SOMEONE'S gonna be pissed off. I prefer it not be me.
      Hehehe
      TTO doesn't like it when I do it, coz he says I scare him. What? I'm fluffy! I'm cuddly! People don't expect me to be mean and stand up for myself!
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

It's usually me, RK. If you see a short, fat white guy storming up the stairs to find the pimpled manager ... that would be me.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I hate it when the ushers say that they will do something about it but then don't. It's the reason I won't go back to one of the theaters in town.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

The 6'2 man marching into the lobby is me. I don't take idiots easily in movie theaters. This is also why I prefer to watch movies at home.

TTO doesn't like it when I do it, coz he says I scare him. What? I'm fluffy! I'm cuddly! People don't expect me to be mean and stand up for myself!
            My best friend is 5'3. At a glance she is harmless but when angry it means I end up trembling.
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Well, ya'll will never see me marching up the stairs to complain.

Cuz I quit going to movies years ago. And this right here is the main reason.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                This is a typical South African thing. We'll rather sit and suffer through something than complain.
                Forgive me for saying this but there are at least 100 apartheid jokes hiding under the surface of that innocuous comment sorry i mentioned it.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                  * This is a typical South African thing. We'll rather sit and suffer through something than complain. We're wusses. I'm ashamed
                  Much like the English then, but my word the glares!
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Cyphr View Post
                    Forgive me for saying this but there are at least 100 apartheid jokes hiding under the surface of that innocuous comment sorry i mentioned it.
                    If you knew you shouldn't mention it, then why did you? Some things are better kept to yourself.
                    Last edited by MadMike; 02-18-2008, 08:01 PM.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Good for you Iradney! I never have the guts to do stuff like that.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        If you knew you shouldn't mention it, then why did you? Some things are better kept to yourself.
                        This might get me kicked from the boards because its a mod but:

Wow!! A little touchy aren't we?
                        I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                          This might get me kicked from the boards because its a mod but:

Wow!! A little touchy aren't we?
                          First of all, if you think it might get you kicked off the boards, then why did you even say it?

Second off all, we have rules here. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to be here.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                            My best friend is 5'3. At a glance she is harmless but when angry it means I end up trembling.
                            I'm 5'6" in flats, and I've been told I can be quite scary when I get going - when I'm happy, I'm the sweetest, bubbliest person, but do NOT make me angry, especially during a movie/sporting event I've paid to see!

Good on you for speaking with the manager. Honestly, if the usher had just told you he couldn't leave his post, you could've asked him to radio a manager, or had him point you in the direction of one, rather than leading you to believe something proper would have been done.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                              First of all, if you think it might get you kicked off the boards, then why did you even say it?

Second off all, we have rules here. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to be here.
                              A small thing we have called Freedom of Speech! I guess we will just agree to disagree.
                              I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Working...
                              X