X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right to refuse service.

Spotted this one during my lunch outing today:

"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO SERVE ANYONE!"

This is at a little cafe/video lottery place near where I work that makes pretty good subs. This sign was taped up on the window near the register, so I asked what had prompted it, because it was pretty recent. I couldn't get the whole story, but what I did get was that some lady had come in, caused trouble, and was thrown out. She made numerous attempts to get back in, even calling the owner of the place who also owns several other businesses in the area, and he told her to scram as well. She started in with the age-old SC battle cry: "I'll sue!" So as CYA, they put that sign up. Another classic example of the entitlement whore who thinks that any business that is bestowed the honor of her presence must bow to her every whim and cater to her like a princess, lest they face her royal wrath.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

In at least my state, it is illegal to put up a sign like that, as it is akin to stating that you are exempt from laws against discrimination. Merchants already have the right to refuse service to a customer causing a scene, but they don't have the right to declare the store a "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eaters Only Zone"* for example.

*But such a sign might keep out SCs!
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

The sign is not required, although there is an implied invitation for people to enter the store, this invitation can be removed at any time by the owner or their representive. Simple
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
        *But such a sign might keep out SCs!
        Why do you say that? SCs don't read.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
          In at least my state, it is illegal to put up a sign like that, as it is akin to stating that you are exempt from laws against discrimination.
          Pardon me for saying so, but that's a wacked out way of looking at it, in my opinion. It's more a reminder to people that it is private property, and thus people can be removed from the premises for cause. I wonder what sequence of events led to that becoming an actual LAW. SC, or sucky establishment...
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

but they don't have the right to declare the store a "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eaters Only Zone"* for example.
            except, they might be able to use the loophole that they're not picking out any specific race or creed... just "anyone". therefore it's equal.

(how about a "no sucky people" sign?)

Comment

When I first saw the title, I immediately thought of Kinky Friedman's song "(We reserve the right to) Refuse Service to You". I don't know why, but, the lyric:

We reserve the right to refuse service to you/Take your business back to Walgreens/have you tried your local zoo?/you smell just like a communist/you come through just like a Jew/We reserve the right to refuse service to you
              The song deals with 3 separate "instances" of being refused service: One was at a local restaurant-type business, the second at the local "house of God" for the local Jewish folk, and the third when he gets to the Pearly Gates.

I don't know. I found it funny. Ahem, now back to your regularly scheduled post.

Comment

Because you can go into a store to buy something doesn't mean that it's your God-Given-Right to do so. You act in a certain way & you'll be treated accordingly. So in other words if you act like an asshole then your asshole will be summarily tossed out the door. & if you act respectfully then you won't have problems buying your goodies.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Pardon me for saying so, but that's a wacked out way of looking at it, in my opinion. It's more a reminder to people that it is private property, and thus people can be removed from the premises for cause. I wonder what sequence of events led to that becoming an actual LAW. SC, or sucky establishment...
                  Apparently, according to an expert survey (aka me asking whoever happened to be listening in the office kitchen) some states don't allow those signs because after Jim Crow laws were abolished, many businesses replaced the "Whites Only" signs with "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service" signs. So they made it illegal to hang those signs up too, because people were using them to assert their "right" to not allow a particular race on the premises.
                  My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                    after Jim Crow laws were abolished, many businesses replaced the "Whites Only" signs with "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service" signs.
                    Well, I guess it makes sense in light of that, though considering all the other laws about discrimination, you'd think they'd have relaxed the stance a little. Meh.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

kinda like one bar in va i think, got hit with a lawsuit for being 'racist' cos their dress code banned all 'hip hop clothes'

it could have been a legit thing, only wanting business clothes / yuppy clothes, but it was taken as a loophole-method of just banning people with dark skin.

Comment

I think it's all silly. On federal or state property, that's probably fine. Government by the people, for the people right?

But on private property I must side with the 'right to refuse'. YOU are paying THEM for whatever good or service. You owe them. Not the other way around. The only thing the business owes it's customers is not to cheat them.

Perhaps there could be a few exceptions made - perhaps like for grocery stores so people don't get blackmailed by being banned from the only place to get food.

Comment

In the county just north of mine, there was a big stink a few years back when a store owner put a similarly worded sign on his store.

Apparently the guy whose behavior precipitated the sign decided to go to the media and say it was a racist act.

Of course, it caused a media frenzy.

If memory serves, it waas investigated and found that the guy acted like an idiot without provocation...and all of this was based upon eye witness account of many people, including several of his own race.

I think the guy willingly took down the sign after all the commotion, but it was quite the little scandal for awhile.

Edited to add: I don't want this to turn into a racial debate, so lets just leave it at SC signs, please.
                          Last edited by Peppergirl; 02-21-2008, 01:43 AM. Reason: no racism talk, please
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I'm pretty sure that if the customer can prove he was denied service based on race, gender, orientation, age, etc. than it is illegal. But it is the customer's responsibility to prove this, and if a restaurant wants to ban you for any other reason it's okay.
                            "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm with Weird Al. Why should I be worried about blacks and other minorities? They've never hurt me.

Who broke my heart? White women.
                              Who made my job hell? White men and women.
                              Who pushes in front of me in lines? White folks.
                              Who cuts me off in traffic? White folks!
                              Who TPs my house? White kids!

If I open a store, it's going to have a sign: WHITE PEOPLE NOT WELCOME!

(note for the humor impaired: intended as humor, and I'm pasty, pasty white)
                              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                              X